Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I've had a look at the pdf documents I downloaded. They expect that people will replace OEM alternators with their alternators, and that might be something to think about later, but first I want to have a close look at where I might be able to mount an alternator bracket just by adding longer bolts and bolting the bracket on top of something that's already there. I know that may very well turn out to be to good to be true, but I'll look. There's no rush. The money to do this project is a few months away.
I don't know what size or type alternator I want, or what belt type I need it to use, but I'll be able to figure all that and more out from the charts and other documents I got from Balmar.

The links are all available at: https://www.defender.com/balmar-alte...regulators.jsp

gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
With alternators that powerful you can also do on-board welding. Very cool if you're into that sort of thing!

On-Board Welding Systems - Premier Power Welder, LLC
I'm not endorsing this brand as much as using 'them' to show you what's out there...

My 3126's alt puts out 160amps so I'll probably home brew a welding set-up for it down the road...

From my army daze I DO remember some of the CUCVEE's being set up with 2 alternators -- I never looked at how they were wired. These were basically K5 blazers with the 6.2 diesel filled up with FM & UHF radio's for comm's.
Lots of charging power at idle, no need for a "field generator" setup...
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
From my army daze I DO remember some of the CUCVEE's being set up with 2 alternators -- I never looked at how they were wired. These were basically K5 blazers with the 6.2 diesel filled up with FM & UHF radio's for comm's.
Lots of charging power at idle, no need for a "field generator" setup...
The CUCVs were using a pair of 12 volt alternators to provide 24 volt charging. I had a M1009 that's still in the family. The 24 volt system was a kludge outside of actual military applications. Ultimately the only thing on the trucks that actually used 24 volt was the starter. The glow plugs were hooked to that circuit also but used ballast resisters to drop it to 12v anyway.

of course, if you had something that plugged into that fun 24v high power connector above the bumper that would get plenty of juice, but the only novel thing I could think of is jump starting a tank.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
The CUCVs were using a pair of 12 volt alternators to provide 24 volt charging. I had a M1009 that's still in the family. The 24 volt system was a kludge outside of actual military applications. Ultimately the only thing on the trucks that actually used 24 volt was the starter. The glow plugs were hooked to that circuit also but used ballast resisters to drop it to 12v anyway.

of course, if you had something that plugged into that fun 24v high power connector above the bumper that would get plenty of juice, but the only novel thing I could think of is jump starting a tank.
Damn, I'm sure you're right -- 2 12v alternator's and 2 12v batteries running in series to get the 24v.
24v was (and is) standard NATO so we could jump each others equipment and (wish I had pix!) but yes I have used the CUCVee to 'jump start' a Huey -- all the army helicopters are also 24v!
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Engine: MBE 906
Rated Cap: 72
Do you know what alternator you currently have? You might have enough charging capacity to charge your whole bus, an isolation switch is a great idea for circuit protection. I thought about the second alternator for redundancy. I have tested my electrical system and fully loaded, headlamps, wipers on high, 2 window defogger fans, driver heater and defroster fans on high, right heater and defroster fans on high. My system draw is approximately 70 amps. I am using LED’s lamps on everything but the headlamps. I have a 160 amp alternator so I am sufficient charging.
The highest draw item is my intake heater, then the starter
schoolbuscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Any!
Coachwork: Self!
Chassis: Crown or Gillig!
Engine: Cummins 855, 400 HP or more!
Rated Cap: 36,000 GVRW
Make sure you have several Grounds. Battery ground to frame, Frame ground to engine and I am talking about totally independent ground wires not connected to electronic devices. Make sure that manufacturer installed the suppression devices in the alternator. One Wire Alternators create a sc ream through the radio if they are manufactured without them. Make sure the belt has a spring loaded tensioner, serpentine belts do not like solid adjustments.
BigPaul367 is offline   Reply With Quote