Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
use of inverters

Have a couple of questions for those those of you that have or are using inverters. I read that you should put inverters as close to battery bank as possible. How long of a cord can you run off of it, say to a 19" tv? How many different things can you run off an inverter? That question has all kinds of holes in it, I know. For instance, I have a 600/300 inverter, can I run 4 different things off it that add up to say 280Watts? this is a list of the things I will have in my bus soon. DVD, home surround stero, 2 19" tvs, direct tv, . I have found these 600/300w inverters that are not overpriced, even gonna get a spare. Granted I wont have all this running at the same time, but just wanted some more opinions, I wont go over the recommended limits, just want to be safe and not blow up anything. tks Putter

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Re: use of inverters

You have to take into account not only the operating load of the item you plug into your inverter, but also the starting load. For things like stereos and TVs, not a terribly high starting load.

Now, a refrigerator or air conditioner...big starting load...requires an inverter rated for that surge, preferably with some headroom.

Cord length is not terribly important when dealing with AC voltage. Use a heavy gauge wiring in the walls, you never know how much power you will end up using via shore power or larger inverters down the road.

DC is the opposite, and needs very heavy cabling to deal with long lengths. But the heavy gauge DC wires {I like 0 ga welding ground cable} are huge compared to heavier gauge AC cable {8 or 10 ga}.
Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Not going to have anything that has a huge startup load, just the items mentioned. A/c and fridge will be on geney or shore power...tks
Old 11-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 19

I guess I would think that instead of purchasing an extra 600/300 watt inverter, why not just get one with double the capacity?
zman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

cheaper to buy 2 of them vs one thst is double the output