Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
VHF Tower Pole Mount Lightning Protection

Hey yall. I got all my mounting done for my communication tower on the rear of my bus. Everything on it will be designed to work while retracted, but I wanted the option to raise my antennas up for clear view when parked if needed.

The tower will lift up to 25ft off the ground, and all the stuff i plan to put on it should sit below the height of the solar panels when in motion.

I want to mount
1. Starlink rectangle dishy. I plan to disable the motor and mount it in a starmount. The starlink is powered by POE Ethernet from a proprietary cable. The indoor modem will be inside the bus and I can do a 12v conversion so i dont have to run an inverter.
2. VHF/UHF antenna for a GMRS repeater. Want to be able to expand to HAM frequencies in the future.

3. 4x4 Mimo antenna for 5g router. Waveform or some other homebrew solution
4. 120v outlet for some led lights to light up the work area.

So after my lightning rod is up, how do i protect the bus systems as well as the house electric systems? I assume i need to add some sort of ground spike with a copper wire all the way to the bottom and sink a ground rod when i deploy the tower. Will this help protect all the ECM's on the bus or is there something else i can do?

any thoughts on protecting the VHF, starlink or MIMO antennas from lightning?

Bonus points? Any way to harness the 1.21 jigawatts to feed my house bank?

fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote