Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 03:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 6.6L CAT 3116
Victron Easysolar II

I'm looking at this product and it seems like perhaps the easiest approach for me as far as a solar system goes. Only trouble is that it only outputs 230V. Are there any significant downsides to just using this with a step-down transformer to reach 120V for my bus?

Assuming that would work out fine, are there any particularly reputable makes/models for transformers?

Thanks in advance

GrassMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassMonster View Post
I'm looking at this product and it seems like perhaps the easiest approach for me as far as a solar system goes. Only trouble is that it only outputs 230V. Are there any significant downsides to just using this with a step-down transformer to reach 120V for my bus?

Assuming that would work out fine, are there any particularly reputable makes/models for transformers?

Thanks in advance
Combined with Victron's Autoformer, you'll get 240V/120V split phase out of either their Easysolar or Multiplus.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I know very little about big voltage, yet from what I understand, split phase is basically 240v split into two 120v lines.

If this is correct, then couldn't the OP simply wire his AC panel for two 120v and only use one of them for his bus?
Old 03-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I know very little about big voltage, yet from what I understand, split phase is basically 240v split into two 120v lines.

If this is correct, then couldn't the OP simply wire his AC panel for two 120v and only use one of them for his bus?
Some people source both 120V phases on their split phase breaker panel from the same phase. Everything but double-pole breakers would work fine in that case.

Now people with tiny rigs or tiny/no inverter of course its not as practical, but at a certain system scale I think split phase is just easier to deal with overall. 50A RV input, capability to run both 120V and 240V appliances, residential AC panel.

If you want anything like a residential experience you're going lithium and split phase.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 6.6L CAT 3116
So I'm running four 400w panels in series with 50.4 VOC/ea so I was looking at the easy solar II because it can take 200v solar input compared to some of the other models.

If the output of the easysolar ii is 240v then what's the easiest budget friendly product for establishing a 120v circuit to run the bus stuff off of? I don't have any higher voltage use cases atm
GrassMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassMonster View Post
If the output of the easysolar ii is 240v then what's the easiest budget friendly product for establishing a 120v circuit to run the bus stuff off of? I don't have any higher voltage use cases atm
Easiest:
https://www.victronenergy.com/autotr...totransformers

Don't know what your budget is.

Tags
120v, 230v, easysolar, transformer, victron