Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Goshen Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Water heater

Guys I have the Suburban SW6DE model which is Propane and 120v. My question instead of wiring/hard wiring directly to the electrical panel 20amp breaker can I not just run romex from the panel to a designated 20a outlet solely for the water heater. I’d like to also add a 110wall switch with light to turn on and off when ever we’d like. What’s strange is the SW6de model 12v side has its own ground wire but the 120v side only has the hot and neutral..

What do you guys think?

RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Don't know as far as your equipment terminations?
I always recommend stranded wire verses solid wire.
I use old extension cords salvaged from my job that are 12-guage and are already protected and or very easy to push/pull through a conduit?
Just my thoughts?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen View Post
Guys I have the Suburban SW6DE model which is Propane and 120v. My question instead of wiring/hard wiring directly to the electrical panel 20amp breaker can I not just run romex from the panel to a designated 20a outlet solely for the water heater. I’d like to also add a 110wall switch with light to turn on and off when ever we’d like. What’s strange is the SW6de model 12v side has its own ground wire but the 120v side only has the hot and neutral..

What do you guys think?
Sorry read your post but didn't read it.
There are better sparkies here than I?
For the 120 you need to run a ground and there should be a designated ground screw inside the electrical box for you to connect it to.
Usually a dark green one hidden in a mucked up spot.
If you use an extension cord for the 12v and only need two wires then you always have a spare wire there if you have a wire go bad somewhere?
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Assuming you will put a male plug on the heater cord itself, yes you can end the run from the panel to the receptacle so you can unplug and remove the heater. Thats how I'm planning my build, very little in hard wired appliances so upgrades or replacement is straight forward.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Assuming you will put a male plug on the heater cord itself, yes you can end the run from the panel to the receptacle so you can unplug and remove the heater. Thats how I'm planning my build, very little in hard wired appliances so upgrades or replacement is straight forward.
Exactly what I was planning to do. It would be nice to be able to simply unplug it versus having to turn the breaker off and open a junction box to get to wiring.
RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen View Post

What do you guys think?
Ray,

I'm putting this heater in my current build. You can definitely run it off a dedicated 20A, 120v AC outlet. It's the same as hard-wiring it to your AC breaker box, just with a longer set of wire. You could use Suburban's water heater switch, which can toggle the gas and electric independently.

I'm also adding a timer so that you can specify your water heater to run from 7am-8am for a 7:45am shower, for example. This way you don't have to get up early, flip the switch, and wait for the water to heat up.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderstruckStudios View Post
Ray,

I'm putting this heater in my current build. You can definitely run it off a dedicated 20A, 120v AC outlet. It's the same as hard-wiring it to your AC breaker box, just with a longer set of wire. You could use Suburban's water heater switch, which can toggle the gas and electric independently.

I'm also adding a timer so that you can specify your water heater to run from 7am-8am for a 7:45am shower, for example. This way you don't have to get up early, flip the switch, and wait for the water to heat up.
Great Idea on the timer. I will be wiring it up this week. Picked up the 20amp breaker, outlet and switch yesterday.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
Almost There

Good stuff. Will be interested to see what you come up with if you do a follow-up post.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:39 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: International CE200
Engine: 7.3 Navistar T444e Diesel
Follow up post?
rockinmeow is offline   Reply With Quote