Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Chassis: HDX with lift
Engine: Mercedes MBE 920
Rated Cap: 22
Weird lights

So, I started up the bus today, to check out the lift, and see if I could fix it.

When I turned the key to the accessory position, the right headlight came on. I started it, and turned on the headlight switch. On the "low" position, the right headlight went out, and the left headlight came on. On the "high" position, all the headlights went off.

I'm not that good with auto electrics, but is that a switch problem, a relay problem or what? I'm really stumped where to even start looking.

DAVEHOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Like this?

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEHOLMAN View Post
So, I started up the bus today, to check out the lift, and see if I could fix it.

When I turned the key to the accessory position, the right headlight came on. I started it, and turned on the headlight switch. On the "low" position, the right headlight went out, and the left headlight came on. On the "high" position, all the headlights went off.

I'm not that good with auto electrics, but is that a switch problem, a relay problem or what? I'm really stumped where to even start looking.

So hard to say but I would start with wiring, short circuits and grounding issues.

There’s probably someone here with the headlight circuit memorized but the fact that ‘high’ made the right light go out and ‘off’ makes it go on is really interesting.

There’s a separate relay for high beams on my bus which is kind of unrelated to the low beams, so you may have two issues. I’m not sure if there is a low beam relay or not, but if so the problem is at or after the relay, as the switch most likely doesn’t have L and R separated.

All of that is a fancy way of saying look hard at the wires, for packrat damage and I hope you can find a wiring diagram! If you do have a diagram post it and I’ll look further.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I didn't notice if it was synchronized to the music, but...yeah
Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffffffff View Post
So hard to say but I would start with wiring, short circuits and grounding issues.

There’s probably someone here with the headlight circuit memorized but the fact that ‘high’ made the right light go out and ‘off’ makes it go on is really interesting.

There’s a separate relay for high beams on my bus which is kind of unrelated to the low beams, so you may have two issues. I’m not sure if there is a low beam relay or not, but if so the problem is at or after the relay, as the switch most likely doesn’t have L and R separated.

All of that is a fancy way of saying look hard at the wires, for packrat damage and I hope you can find a wiring diagram! If you do have a diagram post it and I’ll look further.
Yeah...I have a friend who does auto electrical. I'm calling him in on this and the lift. As much as I want to "own" all the work, sometimes you gotta call in the pro.

I did have to get a little aggressive yanking out the radio. Thinking I might have pulled or crossed some wires
Old 06-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEHOLMAN View Post
Yeah...I have a friend who does auto electrical. I'm calling him in on this and the lift. As much as I want to "own" all the work, sometimes you gotta call in the pro.

I did have to get a little aggressive yanking out the radio. Thinking I might have pulled or crossed some wires

There could be a wire to the radio that signals when the lights are on in order to dim the radio. It’s in some cars but I would be kinda surprised if it was on the bus, but maybe go back and look at all of those wires, move them around and see if anything changes.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:26 PM   #7
Skoolie

That's what I'm thinking. And it's an after market car stereo, so anything is possible