Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
what do I need for RV hook up only?

Hubby says we'll need 50amp for our big stuff like AC and fridge...and 30amp for our standard power outlets.

We aren't going to be doing a battery bank with dolor or a generator or anything...we just want RV hookup for now at least.

Can someone itemize this for me? Like price by price what do I need? If I just hand over what we have to my friend who is elsectrical savvy, he can hook it all up just fine but knowing WHAT you need is different than being able to put what you have together.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
You need a 50 amp hookup and a 50 to 30 amp plug converter for when there is no 50 amp service. Roof airs use 13 amps on average, lights use minimal power, 120 electric water heater uses almost 20 amps
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Start with a somewhat detailed list of the electrical things you want to run. Such a list might include large power consumers like air conditioning, space heating, refrigerator/freezer, oven, microwave, and cooktop. Smaller consumers like lighting, entertainment, and portable electronics generally are so small relative to those other things that they don't need to be specifically considered.

An RV should normally have only one hookup: 20 amp, 30 amp, or 50 amp -- not a combination of these. Powering an RV built with a higher-current design at a camp site with a lower-current supply is possible; it requires an adapter to make the electrical connection and smart use of the appliances to avoid tripping the supply breaker.

If you can give us a good description of what you want your electrical system to do for you, ie the things you want to power, then we can help you figure out what needs to go in to make it happen.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Small fridge (not like a mini but more like dorm size), two portable 13k but AC units, LED light strips, cell phone/iPad/laptop/camera chargers, tv, Xbox, two salt lamps, various cooking elements like an electric burner, crock pots, countertop convection oven, etc. water pump (no heater as we will not have a shower and if we need hot sink water for dishes we can boil it)
Old 04-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
OK, with that collection you'll probably be happiest if you build for 50 amp hookups.

The biggest consumers in terms of start-up current are the portable air conditioners. Designate an outlet for each of those and wire them so that one outlet is on each leg of the 50 amp service. The electric burner and countertop oven are similar in operating current, so figure out how your kitchen will be arranged and set it up with at least one outlet on each leg of the service. When using both of those cooking appliances at the same time, plug them into those separate outlets so that the current is semi-balanced on the two legs of the service.

The rest of the stuff draws low enough current that they don't matter much. Sprinkle a few outlets around; wire a few to one leg and a few to the other leg of the supply.

As Kubla mentioned you can get an adapter to plug a 50 amp cord into a 30 amp socket. You might choose to do that if 30 is all that's available, or if the weather is mild so you won't need much A/C and you want to save a little money on the campsite rental (often sites equipped with 50 amp hookups are priced higher than sites with 30 amp only). When using the adapter you'll have to be more aware about which things you turn on so that you don't exceed 30 amps and trip the breaker supplying your hookup.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote