Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
What do you have hooked to your innverter

Trying to get and idea of what others have to offer opinion wise
what size inverter do you have and what do you have hooked up to it
tks Putter

Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: What do you have hooked to your innverter

Don't know what size the inverter is. Physically, I'd say it's about the size of a 13" tv, if that helps any. Here's what's connected (going by memory):

House-size fridge/freezer.
DirecTV receiver
32" LCD
19" LCD
Set of bathroom lights
Various outlets (I really should mark them somehow).

I tried running a roof a/c off of it, and it would try to kick it on, but after a few tries it just blew the breaker. Almost had a/c while driving (without running the gen).
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

I have a little 600W MSW inverter that I have mounted on a wall beside my counter. I didn't bother hardwiring in the 110V side on this little inverter because I plan on getting a larger one eventually instead. I usually just run either a small tabletop radio or a 13" bubble-style television and DVD player. The TV is rated at about 60 watts and the DVD player is rated at about 13 watts, so the inverter is quite adequate for the job. And it doesn't really drain the batteries very fast at all. I like to watch movies while I am going to bed, so I like this setup. I guess I could hook it up and measure the actual amperage draw on the 12V line while it is running to see exactly what I am drawing from the batteries, I have a good meter with an amp clamp attachment that will measure up to 400 amps of AC or DC current.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

i've converted 5 buses. I mostly use a cheap (under $200) 2,000 watt modified sin wave inverter. After plugging in literally hundreds of electrical devices, i found only two items that wouldn't work. One was the charger for my palm pilot, and the other was a remote controlled outlet gizmo from radio shack that would allow you to turn on/off an appliance using a keychain remote. I also read that you cannot run a laser printer, or a UPS backup power supply from modified sin wave.

here is a list of some of the items i ran off of my inverters over the years....

frige, freezer, florescent lights, incandescent lights, laptop, desk top computer, tube tv's, flat screen tv's, dj equipment, phone chargers, dewalt drill chargers, automotive battery chargers, microwave, air conditioner, toaster oven, electric griddle, jacuzzi pumps, hair dryer, curling iron, drill, sawzall, vacuum cleaner, satellite tv receiver, tv; ink jet printers, sprinkler control valves (for the flame thrower), fuel oil boiler, salamander (torpedo) heater, vcr, dvd player, rope lights, sander, electric buffer, soldering iron, fans, small air compressor, laminator, once i ran "critical" items in the house using the bus' inverter for a weekend when we had no power due to a storm ie: furnace, frige,

These are the items that i could think of off the top of my head. I love cheap modified sin wave inverters. I wouldn't waste my money on a pure sin wave inverter unless i had a specific application that called for it.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeer20m
i've converted 5 buses. I mostly use a cheap (under $200) 2,000 watt modified sin wave inverter. After plugging in literally hundreds of electrical devices, i found only two items that wouldn't work. One was the charger for my palm pilot, and the other was a remote controlled outlet gizmo from radio shack that would allow you to turn on/off an appliance using a keychain remote. I also read that you cannot run a laser printer, or a UPS backup power supply from modified sin wave.
The gizmo was probably an X10 device. It sends signals through the electrical wiring, and gives people fits even with a standard setup. Not surprised it wouldn't work with an inverter. Laser printers should work fine, the reason it's recommended that you don't use them is because of the HUGE current draw. As for a UPS backup...why would you need one? A UPS backup basically does the same thing as your inverter does. It has a battery (sometimes multiple batteries), a charger, and an inverter.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote