Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

What to do with existing wiring

I was looking to get a few opinions on this. So I am getting ready to wire in the electrical system for my short bus. I have existing wiring that goes mainly to the flashing lights, door sign, rear door alarm, along with all of the mandatory lights as well.
This wiring bundle all taped together, a combination of things I no longer need and things like my brake lights, turn signals, etc that I definitely need to keep.
So do you guys think I should go through and remove the old wiring from the things I am not using?
The reason I ask this is im curious if its worth the work to go through everything. Essentially I can just wire everything new around it no problem, so just curious if its even worth the trouble to remove that stuff.
Thanks

Old 01-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Electrical wire is not cheap stuff. I would pull out any unnecessary wires and repurpose them in the build.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'd say avoid cutting or pulling any wire out until you are more familiar with your bus.

On the other hand we haven't had an interlock issue in a while now.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I'd say avoid cutting or pulling any wire out until you are more familiar with your bus.

When I was building stock type race cars, I would turn on anything that needed to work and then start cutting wires, one at a time, I thought weren't needed. If something went out, or the motor changed sounds, hook that wire back up and proceed.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
If your bus is like mine, it may have been wired with a standard loom which included wiring for factory options, regardless if those options are in your bus or not. For example, my loom has wires for power vents, sanders, 8-way flashers, middle heater, methanol fuel cooler and fire suppression system, etc etc, none of which are in my bus. I've already repurposed some of these wires for other uses such as the rear foglight and the rearview camera's trigger wire - it's a lot easier that spending all day running new wires along the frame rails! I suggest you determine exactly which wires are not used, mark them accordingly on the wire itself and in the bus's electrical schematic and wiring diagram, and then you're prepared for whatever you may need in the future. And if you don't have original factory electrical or air schematics, make a note now what changes you're making, otherwise in years from now you'll have forgotten which wire or air line is which.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

That's where I'm at. If I find a wire that's taunting me I'll eventually unhook it to see if anything happens. Then I'll even make a trip to town and again insure that everything still works.

I don't find it necessary to remove wiring because there will be a point when I want a light in that area at some time and I can simply reuse the circuit instead of running a new wire.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
No idea of your experience or knowledge of auto electrics so I would say proceed with caution. Don't like your flashing lights? Disconnect them and tape off the ends well and tuck back in, cover the hole up.
Take your time and do simple tasks like I just described.
The harness won't hurt by having things like that disconnected and you can do a lot of damage in a hurry if you don't understand the circuitry you are working on or want to.
Get to know your bus electrically and mechanically and don't be afraid to ask questions here.

John
Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:

It's because us newbies are listening to our elders' words of wisdom.

I. personally, have added 'crank' as a step in every project. Just today......re-install doghouse, crank, re-install shifter boot, crank, paint bumpers, crank, sand rims, crank, ....etc.

My method works.....not a single interlock issue so far.

Don
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
If your bus is like mine, it may have been wired with a standard loom which included wiring for factory options, regardless if those options are in your bus or not. For example, my loom has wires for power vents, sanders, 8-way flashers, middle heater, methanol fuel cooler and fire suppression system, etc etc, none of which are in my bus. I've already repurposed some of these wires for other uses such as the rear foglight and the rearview camera's trigger wire - it's a lot easier that spending all day running new wires along the frame rails! I suggest you determine exactly which wires are not used, mark them accordingly on the wire itself and in the bus's electrical schematic and wiring diagram, and then you're prepared for whatever you may need in the future. And if you don't have original factory electrical or air schematics, make a note now what changes you're making, otherwise in years from now you'll have forgotten which wire or air line is which.

John
Yup, universal wiring harness. When I picked up the Airstream Argosy20 motorhome the inside roof panel was out and there was a harness bundle hanging down of about 40 wires, all ended at the same length. I mentioned that it concerned me as I didn't know where they would all go and questioned why he would cut a whole harness off. He said that's the way it was when he removed the cover. None of them were used on that MH, it was a harness for all the MH's and this shorty didn't use those wires.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post

John
Yeah mine is a carpenter short bus, so it was just wired for what it has. Nothing Extra or fancy. Tried getting any sort of wiring diagrams or any sort of publications from carpenter, but they dont have anything.
Thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
No idea of your experience or knowledge of auto electrics so I would say proceed with caution. Don't like your flashing lights? Disconnect them and tape off the ends well and tuck back in, cover the hole up.
Take your time and do simple tasks like I just described.
The harness won't hurt by having things like that disconnected and you can do a lot of damage in a hurry if you don't understand the circuitry you are working on or want to.
Get to know your bus electrically and mechanically and don't be afraid to ask questions here.

John
Thanks John
Old 01-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Whats an interlock system?
Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I left all the wiring in place that goes from the front of the bus to the back... seems im always wanting to hook something up in back.. so those old school-light wires came in handy since they all went to my dashboard driver wiring box.. and then to the front header and rear header of the bus.. m,ade it easy to find a circuit to splice into.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64north View Post
The interlock system stops your bus from starting if any of the doors or hatches are not closed properly. It's to prevent students from opening the emergency exits while the bus is in motion.

You'll notice electrical wires and switches on the rear doors as well as roof hatches. These switches and connections have to be in the right position or the bus won't start.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The interlock system stops your bus from starting if any of the doors or hatches are not closed properly. It's to prevent students from opening the emergency exits while the bus is in motion.

You'll notice electrical wires and switches on the rear doors as well as roof hatches. These switches and connections have to be in the right position or the bus won't start.
Well thats good to know. Ill have to leave all of those connections in place for now. I guess ill deal with the interlock when I get there, thanks
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
BTW...save all the wiring you pull out. You will find uses for it later and save a bundle.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
BTW...save all the wiring you pull out. You will find uses for it later and save a bundle.
Thanks man, I was planning on saving everything. I like to reuse as much as I can, and im cheap as hell haha
Old 01-23-2018, 03:27 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64north View Post
If you "cut" the wires, you'll find out soon enough what an ignition interlock system is. I'm keeping mine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM   #19

Year: 2003
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: Caterpillar 7.2L 3126 I6
Rated Cap: 44
Rear heater wire

Has anyone used there wiring from the rear heater for something else? I eliminated my heater but was wondering if it could be used for something useful?
WV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote