Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #1

Wheelchair lift power

Hi, I am a newbie here. I am thinking of getting a bus with a wheelchair lift and repurposing the wiring for a power source. Does anyone have feedback on how this would work? I know you have to disconnect the bus battery to work on wiring, and make sure there is not an ignition interlock attached, and I’ve seen a few videos where people take off a lift. But I’m not clear on the smartest/easiest steps/parts to use the leftover wheelchair wiring; for instance to add an air conditioner, or charge some deep cycle batteries, or just put a power outlet there and plug appliances in later?

Thanks for any advice!
~Lindy

sheltie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Most wheelchair lifts use a heavy duty battery cable that runs from the vehicle positive battery terminal to the lift door.
It is typically fed through a circuit breaker in case of cable damage or lift malfunction.

There are other smaller wires that run to the same general area as the bigger battery cable that powers the lift.
These wires are the "safeties" that are added to ensure the lift doesn't operate with the door closed, or the vehicle not having the park brake set, etc.

Not sure what you're wanting to do with the wiring, but the battery cable could be repurposed to run 12VDC appliances from.
I would caution you that doing that will discharge the vehicle's start battery to the point of leaving you stranded, unless you have a backup jumper pack or something.

If you want to add a battery isolator and run an auxiliary battery, you could do that without worry of discharging the start battery...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Most wheelchair lifts use a heavy duty battery cable that runs from the vehicle positive battery terminal to the lift door.
It is typically fed through a circuit breaker in case of cable damage or lift malfunction.

There are other smaller wires that run to the same general area as the bigger battery cable that powers the lift.
These wires are the "safeties" that are added to ensure the lift doesn't operate with the door closed, or the vehicle not having the park brake set, etc.

Not sure what you're wanting to do with the wiring, but the battery cable could be repurposed to run 12VDC appliances from.
I would caution you that doing that will discharge the vehicle's start battery to the point of leaving you stranded, unless you have a backup jumper pack or something.

If you want to add a battery isolator and run an auxiliary battery, you could do that without worry of discharging the start battery...
Thanks Pete that will help me think about my options some more! ����
Old 08-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #4

Is it necessary to follow all the safety wires back to where they start to remove them, or does it work to just twist them together and cap them off to keep them from interfering with the project?

Also, would it be reasonable to add an extra battery to start the bus? I think I’ve seen that. I’m not sure if it’s smarter to integrate a bus’s starter battery(s) with a system to run other items like a fridge or air conditioning, or if it’s smarter to use separate systems. It seems like the bus could help charge extra batteries while it is running.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Lindy.

You asked the exact same question I had. Curious if you have found the path to take? Please please let me know if you did.

I removed my power lift on my 1999 E350 Eldorado Mini Shuttle Bus and I am curious on how to repurpose the power source of the the lift.

I am still figuring out the power sources to utilize for my mobile grooming appliances. Clippers, dryer, electric table, water pump, shop vac, lights, and even ac... Ugh I'm so confused and I virtually know nobody here in Phoenix Az that can advise or help ( I would pay them ;).

I have generators, batteries, inverters, tanks, pump and an over abundance of grooming equipment for grooming.

I just think I could use the left over power sources of the electric door and wheelchair lift.

Any advice?

God bless you and yours.
Nant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nant View Post
Ugh I'm so confused and I virtually know nobody here in Phoenix Az that can advise or help ( I would pay them ;).

I have generators, batteries, inverters, tanks, pump and an over abundance of grooming equipment for grooming.
Hi Nant, I'm not exactly clear on how you hope to integrate all this...but I'm happy to talk to you and hopefully I can help you sort this out. I'm up near Flag. If you know the local area code here, up North, use that and my cell 554-5219. Sorry be vague, but it keeps the bots from adding my phone number to the "do you want to extend your vehicle warranty?" call list!

Ross
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

THANK You Ross,
I saved your number and will be calling you in a bit. Can't wait to talk to you!
Nancy
Nant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, design, lift, power, wheelchair