Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Where do I even start?

I'm at the point where I need to install electrics in the bus, but I have zero idea of where to even begin. I do know an electrician, but he does houses. Not sure how that applies to an RV.
Is there information I should give him to supplement his house related electrical knowledge?

I have looked at the stickies, but they don't make much sense to me.

I know I'll need some kind of inverter/converter thing, but that's about it.

Can anyone steer me to a steps to take list or something?

I am thinking of going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting the 110 wiring to run throughout the bus without connecting it to anything-just to be able to keep building around it.

My info regarding my bus' electrics needs:
  • I want to use solar panels/power.
  • Currently have three long batteries. Look like the ones on 18 wheelers.
  • Would like to run as much as possible from 12v.
  • I will likely install a generator for when there is no solar.
  • I want to have shore hookups for when in some campgrounds, or even parked at home. The Bus will serve as my office.
  • Fridge: looking for a French door/bottom freezer model. Have seen them everywhere from 1.5 AMP to 15 AMP. I am wanting to go as low amp as possible to conserve power.
  • Washer/Dryer Combo by LG. 110 volts.
  • Computer with dual monitors.
  • Radio/speakers
  • Cell Phone chargers (I figure I can run these off of the 12v like a car).
  • Instant Hot Water system
  • Some other 110 devices such as:Ninja Air Fryer, Rice Cooker, maybe a convection oven...

Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Read past threads to educate yourself.

Google for 101 level learning resources.

Forget your electrician friend, except to help check wiring integrity, or AC stuff

you need to tell him exactly what you need if he's helping with the solar / batteries DC stuff
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Get this book, had it years ago as a 10 year old, 20 years later the info came in handy

https://www.ebay.com/p/801002?iid=373031687504

In terms of installing wireing only 120v AC and 12v are the same just smaller wire and different type of power
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I'll keep looking stuff up, but it gets really confusing with so many different opinions etc.

I think I'll try that book, thanks!
Old 05-01-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
I'll keep looking stuff up, but it gets really confusing with so many different opinions etc.
Hey, if you want to have a real time conversation I'd be happy to oblige. I know this stuff can be confusing.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just someone who "did it".
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
Bus Nut

In terms of resources for the electrician:
If he is a licensed electrician (in the States) he should be quite familiar with the National Electrical Code (NEC). Section 690 covers Solar and Section 551 cover 'recreational vehicles' (see here). I find that marine resources are great because they are more similar to our use case than residential, and because there is much more of a culture of DIYism with high standards compared with RV or Residential electrical, and many more resources available for the DIYer. The code for this is the "ABYC E-11"

Converting a skoolie doesn't fit neatly into any one box, its not residential, its not marine, and its not really the same as a mass produced RV either. Its closest to an RV but there are almost no high quality DIY resources available. The "#vanlife trend" is changing that to a degree. I've found the marine resources to be the most high quality, and I would probably seek out a marine electrician if I were going to hire someone and lived near a coast.

In terms of your own understanding, I highly highly recommend devoting some time to learning the most basic fundamentals about electricity and electrical systems and going from there. Its a very un-intuitive area for most of us, before you move on to the practical decisions of 'what should i buy' 'how does it all fit together' spend some time learning the fundamentals so you can understand on a basic conceptual level what's going on.

I've put together a list of resources I've found helpful here

I found this video to be one of the best conceptual introductions to electricity, its a little long but worth the watch:

Here are a couple shorter introductory videos:

Once you've learned some of the basics, a video like this on electrical system design can help you with the big picture:
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Hey, if you want to have a real time conversation I'd be happy to oblige. I know this stuff can be confusing.
Disclaimer: I'm no expert, just someone who "did it".

I will likely take you up on that.

I just ordered the above book and in the meantime will be running the plumbing etc.
My electric wires will be run in exposed conduit since I want that retro-fitted steampunk/Victorian look. So once I get there, hopefully soon, I will likely take you up on the offer.

Thank you!
Old 05-01-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

In terms of basic flow: determine your electrical usage needs or 'energy budget' ---> size battery bank ----> size solar and charge sources ----> figure out how it all fits together and determine safety/protection devices ----> reassess everything, double and triple check, make changes where necessary ----> purchase and install
Old 05-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Two free ebooks are available by download from Victron Eneggy: Energy Unlimited and Wiring Unlimited. They will even mail a hard copy free. Very well illustrated and described for how to completely wire any vehicle.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...limited-EN.pdf
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Wiring Unlimited is a GREAT resource, Especially as a reference for all the questions that arise along the way.

Energy Unlimited is showing its age. A book on batteries that doesn't even mention lifepo4 or any lithium based batteries is in desperate need of a refresh. But if your planning on lead acid, its probably a good resource.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
In terms of resources for the electrician:
If he is a licensed electrician (in the States) he should be quite familiar with the National Electrical Code (NEC). Section 690 covers Solar and Section 551 cover 'recreational vehicles' (see here). I find that marine resources are great because they are more similar to our use case than residential, and because there is much more of a culture of DIYism with high standards compared with RV or Residential electrical, and many more resources available for the DIYer. The code for this is the "ABYC E-11"

Converting a skoolie doesn't fit neatly into any one box, its not residential, its not marine, and its not really the same as a mass produced RV either. Its closest to an RV but there are almost no high quality DIY resources available. The "#vanlife trend" is changing that to a degree. I've found the marine resources to be the most high quality, and I would probably seek out a marine electrician if I were going to hire someone and lived near a coast.

In terms of your own understanding, I highly highly recommend devoting some time to learning the most basic fundamentals about electricity and electrical systems and going from there. Its a very un-intuitive area for most of us, before you move on to the practical decisions of 'what should i buy' 'how does it all fit together' spend some time learning the fundamentals so you can understand on a basic conceptual level what's going on.

I've put together a list of resources I've found helpful here

I found this video to be one of the best conceptual introductions to electricity, its a little long but worth the watch:

Here are a couple shorter introductory videos:

Once you've learned some of the basics, a video like this on electrical system design can help you with the big picture:

Great references!
Thank you!
Old 05-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
Two free ebooks are available by download from Victron Eneggy: Energy Unlimited and Wiring Unlimited. They will even mail a hard copy free. Very well illustrated and described for how to completely wire any vehicle.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...limited-EN.pdf

That is great stuff!
Thank you!
Old 05-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:

I think I'll try that book, thanks!
I feel your pain!!!!
I've done countless hours of research and still feel like I haven't learned anything. So frustrating!!!! I just don't get all the different amp hours vs watts vs volt systems. Sooooo annoying.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #14
Bus Geek

So go to a "professional" and pay not to have to learn.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
I feel your pain!!!!
I've done countless hours of research and still feel like I haven't learned anything. So frustrating!!!! I just don't get all the different amp hours vs watts vs volt systems. Sooooo annoying.
We took the easy way and looked at other people's setups (people who had similar electrical needs) then added more capacity than they had. Panels are cheap enough, batteries should last several years if maintained. We've been off grid for over a year and have only used the generator a couple of times to top off our batteries.
I found this to be a good resource: https://faroutride.com/electrical-system/
Old 05-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #16
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We took the easy way and looked at other people's setups (people who had similar electrical needs) then added more capacity than they had. Panels are cheap enough, batteries should last several years if maintained. We've been off grid for over a year and have only used the generator a couple of times to top off our batteries.
I found this to be a good resource: https://faroutride.com/electrical-system/
Sweet! Thanks!
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
I feel your pain!!!!
Electrical is one of those areas where the more you research and learn, the less you feel like you know.

In my experience, investing a chunk of time in understanding the fundamentals and the concepts, at least at a high level, goes a long way to helping you feel more comfortable and confident and capable making all the practical and specific decisions.

Quote:
I just don't get all the different amp hours vs watts vs volt systems. Sooooo annoying.
I know its not a short video, but I highly reccomend you watch this video

For me it helped make the units much more intuitive.

Voltage = Electrical "pressure"
Amperage = Electrical "flow" or "current"
Watts = Electrical Power (volts x amps)

Amp-hours and Watt-hours are units of capacity. These are the units that should be used when talking about consumption over time, or battery capacity.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Certainly lots of good information.

The problem is not only understanding it, but knowing if you don't while thinking you do.
I think what I'll do is run the wires etc. after seeing some of this info, and then get the electrician to double check stuff.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Certainly lots of good information.

The problem is not only understanding it, but knowing if you don't while thinking you do.
I think what I'll do is run the wires etc. after seeing some of this info, and then get the electrician to double check stuff.
Not a bad idea, certainly cheaper than having an electrician do it, but might add more cost and work if you have to go back and redo things after (s)he reviews your work.

One option worth considering for your situation is 'schematic review' consultation or 'system development' consultation. Might be a good way to get a little bit of peace of mind that you have your ducks in a row before spending money on all the components and spending time wiring it all yourself. I don't have personal experience with a service like this, but I've interacted with the Tech from that company quite a bit on another forum and he is very sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable, and the prices seem fair.

Then do what you are saying, and pay an electrician to inspect your work after you are done.

Not sure how close to doing your electrical work, but if you are close, this might be a good time to find electricians willing to do small jobs like this for a good price since I'm sure there are many in need of extra work in these times. I'd be looking for an out of work or semi-retired flexible marine electrician if I was in your shoes and lived near an ocean or large puddle of some sort.

Also, if you draw out a schematic or explain your plan, I'm sure people here or elsewhere would be happy to look over your plan and help dot the I's and cross the T's. I have very limited experience, but I'm certainly happy to help out if I can.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzl_ View Post
Not a bad idea, certainly cheaper than having an electrician do it, but might add more cost and work if you have to go back and redo things after (s)he reviews your work.

One option worth considering for your situation is 'schematic review' consultation or 'system development' consultation. Might be a good way to get a little bit of peace of mind that you have your ducks in a row before spending money on all the components and spending time wiring it all yourself. I don't have personal experience with a service like this, but I've interacted with the Tech from that company quite a bit on another forum and he is very sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable, and the prices seem fair.

Then do what you are saying, and pay an electrician to inspect your work after you are done.

Not sure how close to doing your electrical work, but if you are close, this might be a good time to find electricians willing to do small jobs like this for a good price since I'm sure there are many in need of extra work in these times. I'd be looking for an out of work or semi-retired flexible marine electrician if I was in your shoes and lived near an ocean or large puddle of some sort.

Also, if you draw out a schematic or explain your plan, I'm sure people here or elsewhere would be happy to look over your plan and help dot the I's and cross the T's. I have very limited experience, but I'm certainly happy to help out if I can.

Thanks. I realized I know two electricians and they're willing to help, so it shouldn't be too bad.