Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Where is your electrical located?

Hey everybody! Well, the roof raise is finishing up, time to start planning the inside utilities in preparation for spray insulation. Where are your electrical components located? I know the shore power connection goes on the left side of the bus for campground hookups. Should the house batteries go under the bus or in the cabin and vented outside? Do the electrical breaker panels go inside or underneath? 12v fuse panel? Inverter(s)? Replies will be appreciated, pics would be great, and any input would be helpful. Thank you!

bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
"I know the shore power connection goes on the left side of the bus for campground hookups" I wouldn't worry much about where the shore power hook up is. While it is often on the driver's side that isn't always true as you will see in the pic from Lake Mead, Az. I looked at the real estate I had to work with in my bus and built accordingly. Having been gifted free holding tanks it became apparent that the fresh water would enter on the left and the black/grey water would exit on the right.. By adding a mascerator to the black/grey tank it became no problem AND no stinky slinky! My propane and CTV happen to be on the left.

Really the only important thing is to locate your house batteries and your inverter as close together as possible to avoid line loss. Mine are about 6" apart. As to inside or outside for the batteries, as long as it isn't going to be freezing cold where you camp, outside is best (you can use heat tape below the batteries to make up for it, however).

All the controls for your electric should be accessible from the inside.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:20 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Thanks Jack!
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
"I know the shore power connection goes on the left side of the bus for campground hookups" I wouldn't worry much about where the shore power hook up is. While it is often on the driver's side that isn't always true as you will see in the pic from Lake Mead, Az. I looked at the real estate I had to work with in my bus and built accordingly. Having been gifted free holding tanks it became apparent that the fresh water would enter on the left and the black/grey water would exit on the right.. By adding a mascerator to the black/grey tank it became no problem AND no stinky slinky! My propane and CTV happen to be on the left.

Really the only important thing is to locate your house batteries and your inverter as close together as possible to avoid line loss. Mine are about 6" apart. As to inside or outside for the batteries, as long as it isn't going to be freezing cold where you camp, outside is best (you can use heat tape below the batteries to make up for it, however).

All the controls for your electric should be accessible from the inside.
Jack

When I get a little closer to my plumbing, I would like to pick your brain about the macerator pump.

Bobby
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Pick away!
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags