Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Wiring

This job can be so intense since figuring out where all the wiring will go can be frustrating. You think your close and then, oh ya, need to run the remote harness for the genset, where do the lights go and where are the switchs. Oh ya, need to wire the electric gray drain. And then the taillights get wired and then there's the trailer harness. All this needs to be done basically before any construction is done to cover any of it. I am considering drilling a 1" hole through every rib, front to rear to grommet and run wires. Each section has a hole to the sides. It would save so much expensive wire being able to make the runs more direct.

Speaking od electric drains, I bought this electric drain for the gray tank. I notice the exit has a filter screen. I'm sure hair and othe particles will get in the tank and potentially clog the screen. I'm think of just removing the screen as it's not needed to drain the tank. Do any of you others have hair issues in the tank?
Attached Thumbnails
20190712_152206.jpg  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

Speaking of electric drains, I bought this electric drain for the gray tank. I notice the exit has a filter screen. I'm sure hair and othe particles will get in the tank and potentially clog the screen. I'm think of just removing the screen as it's not needed to drain the tank. Do any of you others have hair issues in the tank?
I went to try and snap the 4 braces holding the filter in, as it turns out it is just pressed in and easily removable. Concern relieved.
Attached Thumbnails
20190713_201625.jpg  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I am considering drilling a 1" hole through every rib, front to rear to grommet and run wires. Each section has a hole to the sides.
I think the holes through the rib thing might not be a good idea from a structural standpoint. The hat channel's resistance to bending (in the transverse plane) derives from the material in those sidewalls, and 1" holes would be removing most of it and creating a weak spot. All of the rivet holes already in the channels from the factory are in the top (for the ceiling panels) and in the flanges (for the roof), but there are no holes in the sidewalls.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I think the holes through the rib thing might not be a good idea from a structural standpoint. The hat channel's resistance to bending (in the transverse plane) derives from the material in those sidewalls, and 1" holes would be removing most of it and creating a weak spot. All of the rivet holes already in the channels from the factory are in the top (for the ceiling panels) and in the flanges (for the roof), but there are no holes in the sidewalls.
Stop guessing without numbers to back your claim. They cut ribs short, drill holes in them , weld them poorly. If you tink a 1" will compromise a 15' long spar you need more education. The electric channel I planned would be center ceiling, not on the walls. I see nobody took physics in HS.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Stop guessing without numbers to back your claim. They cut ribs short, drill holes in them , weld them poorly. If you tink a 1" will compromise a 15' long spar you need more education. The electric channel I planned would be center ceiling, not on the walls. I see nobody took physics in HS.
Yeah, I figured this was going to be your response, but I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. I won't be wasting any more of my time with you.