Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Wiring Diagram for Expandable System with No Solar

I'm thinking about the wiring I want to put into our short bus, since hopefully the outside will be buttoned up soon and we can start planning the details of the inside like wiring. This is a camping bus, and not a full-time living situation as of now, so I would like to skip the solar, but make it possible to add at a later date. I'm also skipping the inverter, again to be added later if desired. However, I do plan to run a couple 110V circuits for when parked at family's houses or campgrounds with 110V power (nice to have). All the necessary things, such as a fridge, laptop and phone charging, lights, etc. will be off the 12V system.

Charging will be off either the engine alternator with a small DC-to-DC charger, such as the Sterling Power chargers, or off 110V shore power through a charger/converter.

The planned AC hookup is for 30-amp service, with an adapter to 15-amp for places that can only provide 15-amp service. Of course if running off 15-amp service, we'll be more limited in what we can power, and I'm fine with that. I'm considering 110V power to be a luxury anyway. Please see the diagram attached - I have some questions...

Does the attached diagram make sense for what we're looking to do?

Should I put the charger/converter behind a circuit breaker as well? I separated the charger/converter so that down the road if I get an inverter, it can be added in-between the house batteries and the branch breaker panel using a transfer switch of some sort, and not impact the charger/converter. However, adding a separate breaker for the charger/converter wouldn't be that difficult to do if that's a good idea. Thoughts?

Do I have fuses in the correct spots? Enough? Too many?

One last question - if I get a 240V breaker panel, is it acceptable to jump the 110V hot from one side of the panel to the other, or do I need to look for a panel designed for 110V?

Thanks as always for the input!!

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Five-Chime-Wiring.pdf (35.7 KB, 33 views)

Old 04-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Looks good to me except you need a breaker on the AC circuit that feeds your charger/converter.

The charger/converter may all ready have fuses or a breaker on the DC output.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Looks good to me except you need a breaker on the AC circuit that feeds your charger/converter.

The charger/converter may all ready have fuses or a breaker on the DC output.
Thanks! I wasn't sure on that, and that helps answer my question.

One thought I had to save space was to split the input in the junction box as noted, and put both lines into the same panel (a 240V panel), one "side" for the breakers that power the AC circuits in the bus (to which I could also insert a transfer switch in-between it and the junction box for a later inverter), and the other "side" specifically for a breaker for the converter/charger. Is that feasible, or is that asking for trouble? I suspect this is not necessarily a good idea, because there would then be two neutrals in the box, which doesn't work.

I think I answered my question. I need one breaker panel for the bus AC circuits, and a second panel for the converter/charger's circuit breaker (unless there's a stand-alone breaker I can simply wire in-line).

As always, thanks for the thoughts, even if in this case, I may have answered my own question! hahaha

Chris
Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
You can use a 240v panel and jump the two neutrals. I don't see any reason why you would want to...

If you are going with 30amp service, a 120v panel will be fine.

If you want both AC & DC breakers/fuses in one place look at something like this:

https://www.campingworld.com/wfco-po...xoC4FIQAvD_BwE
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote