Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
Skoolie

Wiring Diagram Help

Hello,

Thanks for reading my post. Here is a novice’s wiring diagram. Please help me review it and let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

dj2109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
This looks like a good design to me.

My only "issue" with the diagram is that the switch labelled "3 phase" should probably use some other word than phase, since phase has a meaning in electrical. North American house wiring is single phase, split (aka split-phase), and heavy power using commercial is 3 phase.

I like the use of DIN mounted breakers. I would personally recommend keeping any DC breakers physically separated from AC breakers, since AC lines can induce AC current in nearby circuits.

It looks like you've put a lot of thought into this design, and it should work well for you.

Good luck with your build,
Jim
bp1791-unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks for the advice!!!! Much appreciated
Old 08-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Do I really see 6 batteries in paralell?

Did you get the batteries for free?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
Whoa, I totally glazed over the battery hookup drawing. Thanks for catching that Steve.

Even looking at it 3 times, my eyes keep crossing.

You might want to re-draw that section a bit so it is a little less confusing. I'm not sure you are ending up with 2 series by 3 sets parallel in that drawing, which I assume is what you want since it's all 24V specced.

Here's is how I would hook it up:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 1.43.48 PM.png
Views:	19
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	47839

If you draw it out that way, and think of it that way, it'll help you when you lay it out that way for installation. It's the most efficient layout for cable lengths.

In terms of the rest of your diagram, the "ground bar" and "bus bar w/terminal fuse" are natural places to break your schematic. Treat the battery side as its own schematic and keep it as simple as possible. The the other side starts at the battery connection terminals on the ground bar and bus bar terminal fuse.

I'm sorry I missed that the first time through. You don't show where the wire connects from the terminal fuse to the batteries but the assumption would be the red line, which if you follow it, leads right on over to the ground bar.

When you're talking that many batteries with that much capacity, you want to guarantee there's no chance of shorting anything out, so take the time to draw it as simply as possible. I do like that you used red ink. Also, I'm assuming you're chaining 12V batteries. You should specify the voltage on the battery diagram for each battery.
bp1791-unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Looking solid, seems you've figured out much of the mystery. That's a capable system for sure.Battery wiring did stand out to me as well, the series parallel diagram by bp1791-unleashed looks decent enough.

Only thing I can think of remaining is monitoring. Displays/gauges to watch the system and report on its performance. There's a lot on the market for watching system health.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:51 PM   #7
Skoolie

Thank you for the catch! Yes I am using 12v batteries.

Perfect diagram.

As for battery monitoring I have a monitor that connects to a shunt. I forgot to include that.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I like the electrical setup. The name for the switch is Make Before Break (MBB) source selector switch. It's simple, functional, and safe.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I goofed. That switch is Break Before Make. It breaks one connection before making the other.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #10

Exclamation HELP! Ford E-450 Wiring Schematic Needed!

Hi, I really need help finding a wiring schematic for my 5 window handicap bus. It is a 2003 Ford E-450 with a 2004 Girardin chassis on it. I need to remove all the 'school bus' wiring to disengage the safety features. Right now, it is locked up and won't move because it thinks the back doors are open because I don't know what wiring I need to remove for it. Please help! I can't find a wiring schematic anywhere! All suggestions help.
Otto Bus is offline   Reply With Quote