Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Wiring for rear end lights (break, blinker, etc)

I need to figure out how to rewire the back end of my GMC 3500 mini school bus. As I started to strip the interior I discovered the upfitter jury rigged everything and it was hanging all over the place. I had to strip it all out to even deal with the mess. In my (foolish, I know) enthusiasm I believed I could hook it all back up when I finished with new wires and fixtures (which it needed). Problem is I thought I knew which wire went to what and how to put it back together but I was mistaken. Yes, I know I should have labeled everything as I took it apart. Hindsight and all that. Anyway, I tried to find the company that upfitted the bus to get a wiring schematic as instructed by the dude at GMC, and I learned the upfitter for this particular bus went out of business years ago. While I am not surprised considering the work they did, I'm at a loss. I dont have the extra (any) money to hire someone to help and I cant find any information in any of the forums or blogs mentioning the original bus wiring. Im guessing because most people leave well enough alone, but they probably have wiring safely hidden in the walls, I dont know. Anyway, this is super long winded but if anyone has any ideas I'd be super grateful.

traciasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Hi.

Do you know how to use a test light? That's what you need. They are available at any auto parts store. They are less than 10 bucks for a cheap one. Put the alligator clip onto a good ground. Turn things on one at a time for the rear of the bus (either turn signal, tail lights, reverse lights or brake lights). Touch the pointy end of the test light on the wires till the test light lights up. Then mark what each wire is for. If you don't get the clip on a good ground the test light won't work. Good luck.

Tags
gmc, upfitter, wiring