Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Wiring Mistake?

Yesterday I tore out all of the unnecessary wiring for the original internal lights and the school bus flashers. Afterwards I realized that my turn signals/ flashers were functioning properly but the clicking noise associated with the turn signals seemed to click randomly even when the turn signals were not on. I also noticed that the big relay (I think...) circled in yellow is making one loud clicking noise every time I turn the keys on or off. I don't remember this occurring but it has been 3ish months since I started the bus so maybe I just didn't notice it. The battery was also dead but I'm not sure if this is related to whatever mistake I made or if it was from it sitting the past 3 months. Anyone have any suggestions of what to check first?

Side note. I also removed the coolant heater from the back of the bus. I used metal elbows to loop the tubing together so the old input and output for the heater are now just looped together. Is this normally how people get rid of the heaters. I did just realize that the heater probably dispelled a decent amount of heat from the coolant and now my coolant might be running too hot back to the engine but maybe this isn't a concern?

mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
Side note. I also removed the coolant heater from the back of the bus. I used metal elbows to loop the tubing together so the old input and output for the heater are now just looped together. Is this normally how people get rid of the heaters. I did just realize that the heater probably dispelled a decent amount of heat from the coolant and now my coolant might be running too hot back to the engine but maybe this isn't a concern?

We kept the rear heater in our bus to for two reasons. 1) the back section is a workshop so can be closed off from the front. 2) in case we need to cool the engine a bit it can be used to dissipate the heat, like yo mentioned.

Using the elbows like you did is one way to bypass the heater. Does you bus have a cut-off valve inside the cockpit to open and close the coolant lines? I just calculated that every 25' of 1" coolant lines holds approximately 1 gallon of fluid. So if you have a full sized bus, you should have 2+ gallons of coolant sitting in those lines. We have opened the valve on hot days and watched the engine temp gauge drop by about 1/3.

I'd keep the lines simply for the extra coolant capacity.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

Chassis: Van
Engine: 5.7L Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
We kept the rear heater in our bus to for two reasons. 1) the back section is a workshop so can be closed off from the front. 2) in case we need to cool the engine a bit it can be used to dissipate the heat, like yo mentioned.

Using the elbows like you did is one way to bypass the heater. Does you bus have a cut-off valve inside the cockpit to open and close the coolant lines? I just calculated that every 25' of 1" coolant lines holds approximately 1 gallon of fluid. So if you have a full sized bus, you should have 2+ gallons of coolant sitting in those lines. We have opened the valve on hot days and watched the engine temp gauge drop by about 1/3.

I'd keep the lines simply for the extra coolant capacity.
My bus does have the shut off valves but I assumed that would mess up the system to not have a loop like it was designed for. Is that an incorrect assumption?
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Many buses have these large relays (mine does) and it is supposed to turn on/off with the key, it basically provides power to most of everything in the body. The tail, brake and turn signal lights are probably wired separately from it, but heat, A/C, interior and 8-way lights probably do go through that relay.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
My bus does have the shut off valves but I assumed that would mess up the system to not have a loop like it was designed for. Is that an incorrect assumption?
I assumed you used the elbows to simply bypass the heater and connect the 'out' hose to the 'in' hose, thus keeping the large loop for fluid to flow.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
The cut-off valves can be shut off with no ill effects on the operation of the engine.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote