Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
Would you go series or parallel (solar)

Here’s what I have:
2 Renogy 270 watt 24 volt panels and a Renogy Rover 40amp MPPT charge controller
Battery bank is 4 6volt AGM batteries that will be wired series/parallel to make a 12v battery bank. In the future I may add more panels to the system, but for now would you wire the 2 panels in series or parallel? And why? I mostly understand the pros and cons of each, but with only 2 panels it seems like I could do either and get about the same result.

cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
One potential issue with wiring series is that if one panel is shaded, it may affect the other's operation. This is why it's important to know if the individual cells on your panels are wired in series or parallel. If part of a panel with series-wired cells is shaded, it may not work at all. Those with parallel cells don't suffer this problem. I can imagine that wiring two panels in series might have the same effect.

Though I do know that in typical electrical circuits, wiring series increases voltage, wiring parallel increases amperage. Not sure if either applies in this situation though.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
If I had your panels I would probably wire them parallel. You have an amp (and volt) input limit on your controller and that could come into the picture if you add more panels. Though, that depends on your storage bank voltage. There are optimal voltages to when pushing the charge through the controller then into the batteries.

Pick your battery bank first, at least as far as voltage. My bank is 4 (up to 6) golf cart batteries at 12 volts, charged by 80 volts into the controller. Not the most efficient curve on the controller because of that 12 volt battery. If I did it over I go with a 48 volt battery bank

I have (2) 400 watt series strings of nominal 12v panels feeding into separate MPPT 30 amp controllers. All I got to do is bolt the stuff up.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Those panels have a short circuit amperage of 9 amps, so in parallel you have 18 amps at an open circuit voltage of 38.6 volts. This is well within the limits of your charge controller.

I’d wire in parallel since it’s within the operating parameters of your controller and you wouldn’t need to worry about output drop from shading
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Those panels have a short circuit amperage of 9 amps, so in parallel you have 18 amps at an open circuit voltage of 38.6 volts. This is well within the limits of your charge controller.

I’d wire in parallel since it’s within the operating parameters of your controller and you wouldn’t need to worry about output drop from shading
Thanks. I think that’s the route I’ll take
cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobbins77 View Post
Here’s what I have:
2 Renogy 270 watt 24 volt panels and a Renogy Rover 40amp MPPT charge controller
Battery bank is 4 6volt AGM batteries that will be wired series/parallel to make a 12v battery bank. In the future I may add more panels to the system, but for now would you wire the 2 panels in series or parallel? And why? I mostly understand the pros and cons of each, but with only 2 panels it seems like I could do either and get about the same result.

The first thing you want to check is whether your charge controller can safely handle either configuration in the coldest conditions you will be in. The datasheet or stickers on your panel will state Isc and Voc,

• You will want to make sure that Voc x 2 x temp correction is below your chargers max input voltage if you connect in series
  • You will want to make sure that Isc x 2 is below your chargers max input current if you connect in parallel
As for pros and cons:
  • Connecting in series is more efficient. Connecting 2 panels in series will be 2x the voltage, 1/2 the amperage, and 1/4 the voltage drop compared to 2 panels connected in parallel. This should be the default configuration unless you have a good reason not to.
  • I can think of two good reasons to connect in parallel. The first is simple, if your charge controller can't handle the voltage but can handle the amperage, connect in parallel. The second is partial shade, shade can be devastating to series connected panels. The current (amps) of all panels in series is pulled down to that of the shaded panel. If you connect in parallel only the shaded panel will have its output reduced.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote