Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Air Head Composting Toilet Or C-Head?

Searching for opinions here on experiences with composting toilets; I've ruled out Natures head because of shape and design. Now wondering if a C-Head Or Air Head is best?
My main concern with Air head is the unscrewing and emptying of the bucket- looks like c-head is easier in this regard
Conversely, not sure how I feel about the construction of the C-head and the gallon p-jug, but it looks like C-head is easier to clean/ empty
your thoughts will be very helpful
thanks

BusZen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Has anyone here tried both?

I am not qualified to answer. I built ours. I just couldn't spend $1000 on a commercial unit without having lived with one for a while. After two years of full time use I decided that I didn't need to spend $1000 on a toilet, my $80 toilet suits me fine.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I had an Air Head on a sailboat. i didn't hate it, but I made my own for my bus. I'd probably hate the air head now that I've revised my toilet 3 times it's way easier to live with and has a full size toilet seat.

Never seen the C Head in person but a quick look at their web site suggest I'd hate it too. Especially the "you don't need to vent it and it doesn't use electricity" part and all the wonder things that implies.

Negative pressure ventilation to the outside is the only way your bus won't smell like poo.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I had an Air Head on a sailboat. i didn't hate it, but I made my own for my bus. I'd probably hate the air head now that I've revised my toilet 3 times it's way easier to live with and has a full size toilet seat.

Never seen the C Head in person but a quick look at their web site suggest I'd hate it too. Especially the "you don't need to vent it and it doesn't use electricity" part and all the wonder things that implies.

Negative pressure ventilation to the outside is the only way your bus won't smell like poo.
Do you have a good write-up on your 'home-built' design?
If yes, could you post the link?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I didn't really do a write-up but it's something you can throw together for under $100. in the simplest terms, we have a fancy ebay urine diverter that routes to a gallon jug. We have a cat liter bucket behind it for solids, with a kitchen trash bag in it. After you drop a deuce, you sprinkle some clumping kitty litter on top and that's it. We have negative pressure ventilation in the enclosure. We drain the jug daily and change the bag weekly, which is hardly worse than changing the kitchen trash can.

No smell, no toddler size toilet seat, no nasty cleanup process.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
AirHead Here haha

I have the Airhead and have been using it for most of a year. It's just me and no one else. My bus is parked in the back yard while I continue the build.

The toilet works just fine, doesn't leak, tip over, smell bad. I wouldn't have one of these compost toilets without the vented fan. The instructions say not to "clean it out" too well. You are supposed to leave some of the composting microbes behind to regenerate in the new dodoo. ?? Hype - maybe. It's fine by me - I rather not clean with lots of attention to detail anyway. The pee jug is kind of a bother because it fills too fast. I may hook a drain line to a small under bus holding tank.

I still work full-time so I don't rely on the toilet 24hrs per day. As it is, I empty the bin about every two months. Using the coconut coir as composting medium. I bag the waste and throw it in the dumpster next to my bag of dog waste. Both are equally disgusting.

Given that my bus will not hold more than two or three small people, I can't see any reason that would lead me to change toilets. Unless, they design a magic toilet where your waste immediately disappears and leaves a lilac fragrance in it's place.

Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air-head, c-head, composting toilets, toilet