Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 Pusher
All Tanks Within the Bus

I too am about to start a plumbing plan. I will put a 100g fresh tank under the bed in the back and then a 40-50ish gallon grey tank and black tank. I want them completely inside the bus.

I have scoured threads on this site and have found many ideas on this and I think the marine pump sink will be fine for sink needs if I end up needing it.
The sink will likely be able to just drain by gravity into the grey tank. I think I will mount the toilet on a little platform with the black tank under it. Gravity will do it's thing there too.

My concern is the shower pan. I am 6'2 and I have made some good flooring choices (I hope) and will have a plenty tall shower. So my problem is getting the grey water from the shower pan into the grey water tank. It will be close in proximity and will probably only have to be pumped up about 15-20 inches. I thought maybe a little 12v pump and an intermittent waterproof switch that I could flip on in the shower and drain the pan a couple of times while I am showering.

I want the tanks inside because if I am not frozen, then my water will not be frozen either. The plan is all weather camping and or a trial of life in the bus for a year.

Mark

Mark Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have seen shower bases with a built in lift pump. That would handle your shower.

Any particular reason that you want the grey tank in your living space?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have seen shower bases with a built in lift pump. That would handle your shower.

Any particular reason that you want the grey tank in your living space?

"I want the tanks inside because if I am not frozen, then my water will not be frozen either. The plan is all weather camping and or a trial of life in the bus for a year. "

I'm picturing in my mind a set up like and in floor sewage sump that pumps up into a septic tank. Just don't know if you could fab one up small enough for the space limits.A macerator pump might be configured to work.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Bus Geek

After 6+ years full time in a bus and almost 3 years in a travel trailer I can say that I have never had a problem with my waste tanks being frozen.

I did try to avoid really cold weather. Try being the operative word. I do remember some bone chilling nights in Minneapolis in February. When I did get stuck in really cold weather I would add a bit of RV antifreeze to the tanks.

The trailer was less of a issue as it had insulated tanks and tank heaters.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Black tank in living space? Why? I know you answered that but...

Maybe a better solution would be insulation and maybe tank heaters if it gets really cold?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miner View Post
I too am about to start a plumbing plan. I will put a 100g fresh tank under the bed in the back and then a 40-50ish gallon grey tank and black tank. I want them completely inside the bus.

I have scoured threads on this site and have found many ideas on this and I think the marine pump sink will be fine for sink needs if I end up needing it.
The sink will likely be able to just drain by gravity into the grey tank. I think I will mount the toilet on a little platform with the black tank under it. Gravity will do it's thing there too.

My concern is the shower pan. I am 6'2 and I have made some good flooring choices (I hope) and will have a plenty tall shower. So my problem is getting the grey water from the shower pan into the grey water tank. It will be close in proximity and will probably only have to be pumped up about 15-20 inches. I thought maybe a little 12v pump and an intermittent waterproof switch that I could flip on in the shower and drain the pan a couple of times while I am showering.

I want the tanks inside because if I am not frozen, then my water will not be frozen either. The plan is all weather camping and or a trial of life in the bus for a year.

Mark
one of the trailers I owned had access to heat from the furnace - I've had trailers sit all winter with no heat, sometimes 20 degrees of frost - some RV antifreeze prevented any freeze up - the tanks are still good and might be the tanks I use in my conversion
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
My shower is a step down affair so needed a lift pump to raise the shower water to the indoor grey tank. I installed a 12v submersible pump in the shower's waste tank to lift the water to the grey tank. It works just fine. I am cautious not to let much in the way of solids like hair get into the tank.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
My shower is a step down affair so needed a lift pump to raise the shower water to the indoor grey tank. I installed a 12v submersible pump in the shower's waste tank to lift the water to the grey tank. It works just fine. I am cautious not to let much in the way of solids like hair get into the tank.
Seems to me that a marine bilge pump would be a good fit for that application.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
"I want the tanks inside because if I am not frozen, then my water will not be frozen either. The plan is all weather camping and or a trial of life in the bus for a year. "

I'm picturing in my mind a set up like and in floor sewage sump that pumps up into a septic tank. Just don't know if you could fab one up small enough for the space limits.A macerator pump might be configured to work.

It sounds like a pump up to a grey tank may not be too difficult. Hopefully the black tank will fit under the toilet, (if I raise it up a step) and gravity can do it's magic.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
After 6+ years full time in a bus and almost 3 years in a travel trailer I can say that I have never had a problem with my waste tanks being frozen.

I did try to avoid really cold weather. Try being the operative word. I do remember some bone chilling nights in Minneapolis in February. When I did get stuck in really cold weather I would add a bit of RV antifreeze to the tanks.

The trailer was less of a issue as it had insulated tanks and tank heaters.
I have done the antifreeze in the tanks. (Actually used windshield washer fluid) in the past in another rig, I could also do tank heaters, but am trying to make it as simple as "if I am not frozen my water tanks are not frozen".

I also considered that if the tanks were underneath in an insulated enclosure I could just have the warm bus air circulate through the space and then the tanks could be undermounted that way.

I am trying to avoid specific tank heating or antifreeze. I want the fact that I already have a warm bus to take care of all the tank business.

Mark Miner
Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Jack
Jack,

Thanks for the reply and the great pictures!!

In your set up is the pump automatic or do you just switch it on as needed?

I suppose a little mesh filter where the water drains out of the shower would keep out the gunk and spare your pump a bit.

Mark
Old 06-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
one of the trailers I owned had access to heat from the furnace - I've had trailers sit all winter with no heat, sometimes 20 degrees of frost - some RV antifreeze prevented any freeze up - the tanks are still good and might be the tanks I use in my conversion
I like that as a possible solution. Bus heat just circulating around the tanks. It would have to be well insulated and I would like to have all tanks in the same insulated "box". Then just have heated bus air in the "tank well". I would really only need this for grey and black. My fresh water tank will fit very nicely under my bed!

Mark Miner
Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Mark, I just used a waterproof bat switch in the shower stall and yes a fine mesh screen works to keep junk out of the pump. Depending on the design of your tank a marine bilge pump would also work but it might sort of be over kill.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote