Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Backflow for Toilet Fresh Water Connection

What should I do to prevent backflow from the toilet’s fresh water connection?

Thanks

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Assuming you're using an RV toilet the water module will control water pressure at the toilet just like a flush valve does in a residential toilet.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I am concerned about backflow from the toilet fresh water supply line. Is that something to worry about? I just picked up 3 check valves. I was planning on one for the toilet, one for the pump (I saw your other reply just now about the pump having one) and one for the municipal water inlet
Old 04-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I am concerned about backflow from the toilet fresh water supply line. Is that something to worry about? I just picked up 3 check valves. I was planning on one for the toilet, one for the pump (I saw your other reply just now about the pump having one) and one for the municipal water inlet

Since you've already got them it wouldn't hurt to install them. The check valve on the municipal supply would need to be installed at the camp faucet end of your supply hose to protect the camp water supply. The one downstream of the pump may restrict your flow a bit but otherwise no worries.

Many cities require backflow preventers (basically a check valve) on outside home faucets because watering hoses can heat up in the sun and pressurize the hose which could force potentially contaminated hose water back into the home water pipes and possibly back past the water meter and into the city water mains. The RV toilet would have to somehow pressurize it's flush water tank and overcome the valve in the water module to force flush tank water back into the water supply line. Unlikely but not impossible. The chances of being eaten by a lion at noon on main street may be a billion to one but once would be enough. If your toilet check valve lowers the paranoia level then it's a good thing. I've done plenty of things that weren't strictly necessary but made me feel better about a project.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I believe the RV toilet I bought came with a "vacuum breaker" (check valve) built into the back of it where the fresh water hook up is. I believe it was standard on this toilet but maybe on all RV toilets? I have a dometic 320.

Here is what I'm talking about...
Camco Vacuum Breaker Assembly-Protects Your Water Supply from Harmful Pollutants and Contaminates (40395) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P75Y1MR/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Zj7NEb10Y0PWJ
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Forgot to include screen shot of the 320 toilet components. H in the picture is the "vacuum breaker" check valve. It is before the water valve shown down at the bottom of the toilet.

I had same concerns as you and was going to buy a vacuum breaker until I figured out it comes with one. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200421-220100_Drive.jpg  
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I believe the RV toilet I bought came with a "vacuum breaker" (check valve) built into the back of it where the fresh water hook up is. I believe it was standard on this toilet but maybe on all RV toilets? I have a dometic 320.

Here is what I'm talking about...
Camco Vacuum Breaker Assembly-Protects Your Water Supply from Harmful Pollutants and Contaminates (40395) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P75Y1MR/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Zj7NEb10Y0PWJ
Oh wow, well I have a Dometic 310 and the owners manual that I just barely read says it also had a vacuum breaker built into it. Thank you for pointing that out!
Old 04-22-2020, 06:56 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Hey that's what we're here for!! Glad I could help!!!