Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Best outdoor RV shower.

Thanks to the people in this group we were able to find a very nice porcelain composting toilet which I doubt we would have been able to find on our own. We had been looking for months and months before we decided to post here and got the hell we were looking for.

The time has come again for more help! We’ve been looking for an outdoor RV shower that is nicer than the typical ones. I’ve searched and searched and found a few that are for boats that seem a bit nicer but are still cheap plastic.

This will be our only shower so it needs to last. I think a quick disconnect for the hose and shower head will be best since again, this will be our only shower and we don’t want any freezing problems. I’m not sure if a retractable hose is the best route since it will likely be wet after use, and shoving that down into the wall will turn into a mold issue fast.

Open to ideas and excited to get this water ran. It’s really been holding us up.

Thanks!
Holly & Dustin

Old 02-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Here’s a video with a great outdoor shower idea

https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=74...&v=WtZzRW96aB0

And this guy has an interesting take that maybe could be scaled up.

Maybe combined with a stair-shower?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Also, what do you have in mind for a shower? Is it hooked up to a water heater? Does it have to be permanently installed?

One of those propane on demand water heaters could have a bracket where it could be hung when in use, with a hatch that has water supply and gas supply connections.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I think the best bet for what you're looking for is to do a DIY shower using regular residential fixtures. Residential fixtures will ensure you get the quality that you're after. You'd need an enclosure, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem once you find one. You guys don't want the typical cheap RV stuff, and I can appreciate where you're coming from...I was looking for a nice outdoor shower system too, but I couldn't find anything that looked to be the quality that I wanted. I mean, we're really just talking about a mixing valve with a sprayer hose and shower head. All of which needs to be in a recessed box with a cover. Trick is to get a nice stainless steel box to mount in the side of the bus.
I wasn't able to find a fixture like you're looking for at the time I was searching.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Best outdoor RV shower.

Danjo, thanks for the post, but those showers are way off the mark.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I think the best bet for what you're looking for is to do a DIY shower using regular residential fixtures. Residential fixtures will ensure you get the quality that you're after. You'd need an enclosure, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem once you find one. You guys don't want the typical cheap RV stuff, and I can appreciate where you're coming from...I was looking for a nice outdoor shower system too, but I couldn't find anything that looked to be the quality that I wanted. I mean, we're really just talking about a mixing valve with a sprayer hose and shower head. All of which needs to be in a recessed box with a cover. Trick is to get a nice stainless steel box to mount in the side of the bus.
I wasn't able to find a fixture like you're looking for at the time I was searching.

I hear ya. I can’t even find a RV shower box that’s not made of plastic. It’s kind of frustrating to have to literally design everything we want because the products available are junk. This project would be much easier if I were to come across a nice enclosure. Having a custom fabricated one is an option, but not preferred.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I'm having the same issue. I settled and bought a plastic enclosure valve, but haven't put it in yet because it doesn't seem like it last long!?! I don't want to cut a hole in the side of my bus for junk! Let me know if you find anything!

As far as the shower curtain part... I'm planning on having something off of my back platform but haven't got that far...
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt 466e
Don't want to miss this.

naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'll mount a nozzle clamp on the outside of the window above the kitchen sink. The sink sprayer can pull out the window and mount in the clamp.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 AM   #10
Bus Nut

I'm using the Eccotemp L5 tankless water heater as my shower. The heater itself is (soon to be) mounted in the bathroom, and the heater comes with its own shower head. When we shower, we'll just open the window and stick it outside.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: MicroBird
Engine: 7.3L powerstroke
If you want something super Heavy Duty. You may have to make your own. I once saw a video of a small off-grid hunting cabin that repurposed a military "M17a3 Decontaminating Apparatus". It's a low pressure, high temp all in one unit that pumps water from a stream, lake, or a holding tank.... Heats it from diesel or kerosene and pumps/pressurizes it (by gasoline engine run pump). Comes with a pick-up hose to a water source, standard spray wand to wash your rig, pickup tube to a cleaning solution if ever needed), and shower heads for up to ten people if you wanna have a shower party, lol.

Military has bunches of them they sell off for cheap w/ less than 5 hours on them.

I've often thought about using the parts of one in some kinda application for hot water supply... But maybe use an electric pump rather than the gas engine pump. Done up right... You could be the envy of Burning Man!

Seen them sell for between $25 - $750 depending on if all the extra add-on accessories are there. Which seems like a great deal seeing how our super efficient govt paid $23,121.00 a piece for them !!!!

Food for thought..... Plus you could fight off the CoVid 19 virus AND get a Heavy Duty lockbox to mount on your rig to boot

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/T...30-01-346-3122

https://www.ebay.com/i/283779249493?...26pg%3D2386202
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20200222-175630.jpg   Screenshot_20200222-175604.jpg   Screenshot_20200222-175640.jpg  
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
If you want something super Heavy Duty. You may have to make your own. I once saw a video of a small off-grid hunting cabin that repurposed a military "M17a3 Decontaminating Apparatus". It's a low pressure, high temp all in one unit that pumps water from a stream, lake, or a holding tank.... Heats it from diesel or kerosene and pumps/pressurizes it (by gasoline engine run pump). Comes with a pick-up hose to a water source, standard spray wand to wash your rig, pickup tube to a cleaning solution if ever needed), and shower heads for up to ten people if you wanna have a shower party, lol.

Military has bunches of them they sell off for cheap w/ less than 5 hours on them.

I've often thought about using the parts of one in some kinda application for hot water supply... But maybe use an electric pump rather than the gas engine pump. Done up right... You could be the envy of Burning Man!

Seen them sell for between $25 - $750 depending on if all the extra add-on accessories are there. Which seems like a great deal seeing how our super efficient govt paid $23,121.00 a piece for them !!!!

Food for thought..... Plus you could fight off the CoVid 19 virus AND get a Heavy Duty lockbox to mount on your rig to boot

https://www.ebay.com/i/283779249493?...26pg%3D2386202

For those contemplating these auctions - don't forget the usual problems with auctions still apply...payment on time plus fees, pickup deadlines, delivery is usually impossible you have to pickup or have an equipment hauler pick it up and deliver it to you. It is not unusual for pickup/delivery costs to be much more than the winning bid cost.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #13

Year: 2002
Anyone ever put an instant hot water heater on their bus?
Yardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardy View Post
Anyone ever put an instant hot water heater on their bus?
If you mean tankless water heaters, many of us have them. I have 3 on mine. One for the sink and shower and one for the heated flooring. I also have one on the back of the washing machine.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #15

Year: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you mean tankless water heaters, many of us have them. I have 3 on mine. One for the sink and shower and one for the heated flooring. I also have one on the back of the washing machine.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I guess that saves a ton of space correct?
Yardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Sorry, but isn't that 4?
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Best outdoor RV shower.

We have screens on all of our windows, and removing one of them to have a faucet hang out one of them in the middle of winter is not an option. Not to mention we’ve tiled over the windows where the sink is. That government monstrosity also isn’t an options since we would need to tow a short bus to accommodate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	41984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachvbguy View Post
Sorry, but isn't that 4?
I believe sink/shower was one unit.

I’ve brainstormed what could be a great shower setup, but I need to find a metal box with a lock, similar to the RV shower boxes. If anyone can help that would be great. I don’t even know what to search for. Everything that comes up is just the frame, and when I add “metal” to the search I start getting toolboxes.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

We are currently looking for a good shower option. We plan to have a 2-room shower tent while in the early stages of building. I have to have long hot showers, so am looking for recommendations for great tankless water heaters that can be used off-grid of high enough quality to install on the bus when we are far enough along on the build (good quality shower head and other parts as well). So...hopefully something that can be used in a tent camping/shower tent situation first, and then be moved into the bus. Any suggestions? I need help regarding whether a separate pump is needed for water flow. Reviews on camping showers have been discouraging.
Tfanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
Danjo, thanks for the post, but those showers are way off the mark.
Maybe you could provide details instead of just saying to Danjo the feedback is 'way off the mark'? It came across to me a little like he done something wrong, though I'm sure that was not your intent.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfanous View Post
We are currently looking for a good shower option. We plan to have a 2-room shower tent while in the early stages of building. I have to have long hot showers, so am looking for recommendations for great tankless water heaters that can be used off-grid of high enough quality to install on the bus when we are far enough along on the build (good quality shower head and other parts as well). So...hopefully something that can be used in a tent camping/shower tent situation first, and then be moved into the bus. Any suggestions? I need help regarding whether a separate pump is needed for water flow. Reviews on camping showers have been discouraging.
Our setup is an CampLux 10L, pretty big one (2.64 GPM), with a Shurflo 3 GPM pump mounted inside the bus. The heater is advertised as something you can hang on a split rail fence connected to a 5 gallon propane tank. I'm not sure how practical that is and just looking at my unit I'd be a little worried about banging it around too much. I'm guessing that the 3 GPM pump will handle whatever load we put on the system since the only other fixture that would be used simultaneously is the kitchen faucet. I haven't tested the system yet so I can't say whether this all works well together.

I am a big fan of articulating the design requirements like you did - 'long hot showers'. I'm guessing they might only be available with huge freshwater and graywater storage, or only when you're at an RV park with a hookup. A eight minute shower will just about drain my freshwater tank, buy my criteria is a little different. We only need about 4 days of boondock time at a stretch, so I could go without. Still, I want to be able to take a shower, even if brief. I want hot water, and I want to do it inside. And, I don't want the shower stall to be dead space because I think it will be used infrequently.

We rented an RV and I found our RV experience was similar to camping-after about day three you just get used to being a little grungy, and wait for home or some friend's place if you are travelling distances.

The shower fixtures are purchased separately and so you can pretty much put in whatever you find at Home Depot. I'm retrofitting a brass tub/shower fixture I found for a steal in an antique store in Denver.

Hope this helps.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote