Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Black tank

Is it critical where the 1 1/2” vent pipe comes off the top of the black tank?
ASKING FOR A FRIEND !!

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Nope. The only caveat to that is that an out of level bus with a long tank could cause vent blockage if it gets too full.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
and you will want it to vent out as high as possible.
over head high as possible especially on a windy day and if out the roof a gooseneck turn down to keep rainwater from helping fill the tank
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
and you will want it to vent out as high as possible.
over head high as possible especially on a windy day and if out the roof a gooseneck turn down to keep rainwater from helping fill the tank
Yes, and add, put a Camco or similar cap on it to also help keep critters from building nests in your vent
Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
yes alot of boiler and water heater exhaust and intakes i do we use stainless steel hardware cloth/screen cut to fit in or over the fitting.
but in a stationary not used over time situation it wouldnt keep the dirt dobbers or other small stuff from clogging it up.
they do make copper window screen but dont think/know how well it would hold up with the latest and greatest condensing water heater/boiler technology.
i got in a bind last year with a 900,000 BTU boiler and used a piece of regular galvanized hardware cloth cause the manufacturer didnt send what was needed and after it was online i was replacing that piece every two months cause it was rotted .
but that was a 6 inch exhaust and intake.
the intake faired better of course but the exhaust and drain from anything that is gas fired is corrosive.
the condensate drain should go through a neutralization box. i call them a box of rocks .
but to be honest its nothing more than a box or a piece of pipe with limestone rocks that neutralizes the acid before it goes to wherever.
will eat concrete, will eat cast iron floor drain and piping over time, pvc dont mind but you might not know where it is going?
sorry work stuff got me.
anything new gas fired in this day and age is more efficient and better but it condensates and the condensate has to be addressed!

aint a tree hugger
love camping and hiking but have learned through my work several propane and natural gas stuff since my trade as a coal fired steam plant steam pipe fitter has changed i was young enough in my late 40,s to be able to learn and adapt but the gas fired stuff requires different drain requirements and to me personally it is a better choice but the RV/SKOOLIE world needs to know that letting the condensate run to the dirt that it is acidic and only requires a bag of limestone from your local store whether piped to a french drain a box or piece of pipe with the rocks in it ?
sorry mess in my head thoughts over?
gas fired stuff is 96 percent more efficient than its predecessor but it requires different treatment the old technology was averaging 70 to 78 percent for the money.
wish everyone good choices
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Thanks guy. I appreciate all the input. I’m definitely going above the top of the bus. I’ve got a 3’ deck in the back and my black tank is under that deck. I didn’t know if I had to go all the way to the deep end of the tank to set my vent fitting. No horizontal run but it is making about a 4” offset, about 45 degrees. I’ve been under the bus now for the last week and I’m really starting to feel it. My equilibrium is giving me hell today. Never had a problem with it before but I’ve never been 65 before either.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Thanks guy. I appreciate all the input. I’m definitely going above the top of the bus. I’ve got a 3’ deck in the back and my black tank is under that deck. I didn’t know if I had to go all the way to the deep end of the tank to set my vent fitting. No horizontal run but it is making about a 4” offset, about 45 degrees. I’ve been under the bus now for the last week and I’m really starting to feel it. My equilibrium is giving me hell today. Never had a problem with it before but I’ve never been 65 before either.
Vertigo. Maybe dehydration? Are you drinking da beers?
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Vertigo. Maybe dehydration? Are you drinking da beers?
Been drinking water and da beers. I believe it’s just the up and down, up and down laying on my back. There are some places I can sit up, but not everywhere. I’m getting so close to being finished. It also doesn’t help that it has been 98*