Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Black Tank Vent

How big of a black tank vent do I need? I’m about order a tank and need to finalize this. Thanks for your help

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Depends on how much poop you wanna haul around. If my skoolie was gonna haul poop in a tank, then I would want at least a 2" pipe venting to the roof above any vents or hatches.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Depends on how much poop you wanna haul around. If my skoolie was gonna haul poop in a tank, then I would want at least a 2" pipe venting to the roof above any vents or hatches.
Haha, yep haulin poop. I was hoping to run smaller, but it looks like 1 1/2” is the minimum allowable size. According to who I don’t know, RVIA, UPC?

I was hoping to go smaller to minimize wall thickness.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Hey I'm having the same question as I'll be mounting tanks soon... Any thoughts on connecting the gray and black tank vents together and only taking one up?

Any issues with a long horizontal run, T into gray tank then going out and up the back of bus? (Trying to eliminate more holes in roof of bus...
Old 01-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I agree with Johnny - 2" is the way to go (when possible - the ideal is sometimes not practical). I theorize that those who complain about tank smells do not have a properly vented system.

I can't think of a reason that T'ing the two tank vents together would be a problem. However; a long horizontal run of pipe is bad, slight angle up is better, vertical is best. I suspect it is impossible to have ONLY a vertical run but I'd keep the less than vertical runs as short as possible.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Hey I'm having the same question as I'll be mounting tanks soon... Any thoughts on connecting the gray and black tank vents together and only taking one up?

Any issues with a long horizontal run, T into gray tank then going out and up the back of bus? (Trying to eliminate more holes in roof of bus...
No problem joining as long as there is a P-trap to keep gases out. The long run might be a concern if for instance it rains and is sitting at an angle that causes water to collect and stop venting. It could also fill with waste water if you wait too long to empty.

There’s also concern about keeping the p-trap wet. If left to sit it will dry out and the gases will be able to come in through the drains