Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I agree about the compost/kitty litter toilets, but that would change if there were more people in this bus using the facilities. On the other hand there are no dump sites in the area so I'd have to plumb a drain into my household septic system. Simple is better.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran (International)
Chassis: Gensis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 74
Black Water Tank

Thank you for all the good information and for sharing with me. I will take all the ideas this weekend and see what I can do on my bus. But your answers have given me great hope that I do not have to move my storage compartments and still get a black tank on place to work.
slager55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #23
Bus Geek

So how's it going with the big beast? Isn't that fun driving an apartment? I'll assume that if black tanks are your biggest problem the bus must be working out.
I wish I had your square footage, then again your bus couldn't make it through my driveway.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
another possible solution is to use a short toilet and a tank that is above the RV floor. that way you could straight down through the floor and into the box with only the 4" pipe, elbow and waste valve.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Ah-hem! Splashing!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran (International)
Chassis: Gensis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 74
Black Tank

The above floor option I have never even thought of that might be a good option.
slager55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Use a normal household toilet where the P-trap is above the floor and dump directly into the tank? You will have to shut the water off and flush the toilet to empty the tank and bowl before hitting the road and whatever the residual water left in the bowl you use a plunger to push it through the trap to travel acceptable level.
They make a double wax ring that will give it extra wiggle room and protection as the toilet settles and you check the jonnie bolts every now and then.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #28
Bus Geek

If you clear that P-trap, aren't you going to get a little methane drifting out of the "stew."
Old 04-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #29
Bus Nut

You will if the trap is empty. Shutting the water off and flushing to drain the bowl down to a travel worthy level is not going to empty the trap.
The only time it could reach the smelly level is after an extended period (7 plus months) of sitting with no use the trap will dry out.
Another option is to use a plumbers test ball in the bottom of the bowl after plunging and you won't have to worry about it period. Just pull the ball before the next use or it could get messy.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Those are the balls from the ball pit, aren't they? At the Rat Pizza place. I want to say put them back, but then... Clever idea actually.

So far I've got one of those, (I have no idea what it's called.) It's a little kid size toilet on top of it's own little tank, and a completely inadequate flushing mechanism. It all looks kind of like tupperware. No the lid doesn't burp, but there may be some form of burping going on.
Beyond that if I was hard up for a toilet I'd use the kitty litter. No I don't have a bucket with a toilet seat on it, I have a kitty litter tray. I would have to take off the cover. The cat doesn't use it. Can you visualize your cat walking by the litter box and seeing this huge almond roka covered loaf in her litter box. I think we learn to recognize facial expressions on cats faces.

Dammit, that's the second thing I learned today. It's getting crowded up there. Push another marble in and a random marble gets pushed out somewhere else. I had a travel trailer in the past but I didn't know about a lot of this stuff. I though it would all stay in there as long as I didn't roll it over.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Those are the balls from the ball pit, aren't they? At the Rat Pizza place. I want to say put them back, but then... Clever idea actually.
Eeeeewww. That might work too, but... a plumber's test ball is a rubber balloon fastened to a threaded plastic plug. It is screwed into the cleanout tee in a building sewer and then inflated so it plugs up the pipe. The sewer system can then be filled to the top with CLEAN water to test it for leaks before running.. dirty.. water through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I had a travel trailer in the past but I didn't know about a lot of this stuff. I though it would all stay in there as long as I didn't roll it over.
It would stay. Didn't your travel trailer have a conventional RV toilet with a flush valve at the bottom? So long as the seals are good on that valve there's no worry about things sloshing out. Jolly Roger proposed using a residential toilet instead, and that's where the business with the built-in P trap started.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #32
Bus Geek

The travel trailer was a very long time ago. Mostly I remember soft floors, hitting my elbows all the time while in the shower and that it was a towing nightmare.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Eeeeewww. That might work too, but... a plumber's test ball is a rubber balloon fastened to a threaded plastic plug. It is screwed into the cleanout tee in a building sewer and then inflated so it plugs up the pipe. The sewer system can then be filled to the top with CLEAN water to test it for leaks before running.. dirty.. water through.

It would stay. Didn't your travel trailer have a conventional RV toilet with a flush valve at the bottom? So long as the seals are good on that valve there's no worry about things sloshing out. Jolly Roger proposed using a residential toilet instead, and that's where the business with the built-in P trap started.
They make the test balls for cheaper without the thread hassle and you need a bycicle pump for it at minimum and no matter what kind of toilet you install you are going to have to deal with the crap that is put in it. at least in my camper I know what I feed them is what comes out of the other side and my wife keeps trying the vegan thing but I need meat and beer. And of course my kids don't get beer and they don't agree with the vegan thing either but either way even a veggie diet is a stinkie problem?
I have salvaged 95% of what I have and my tank style toilet is from a demolition job where my men were throwing 3-400 away so my idea is ways to make what I have work.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Me too. I was thinking of putting a porcelain toilet in my outhouse because I have the parts, and no my outhouse is not connected to my bus but that's a good idea. Nobody likes an outhouse with a hole underneath. I'm actually wanting a tub more than a toilet.

Out in the country when your septic plugs up, due to roots or specific meals that caused blockage, it is sometimes necessary to have an outhouse.