Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Huh?
Engine: T444E
Can a gray water tank be installed in the bus not under?

I just bought a mid-sized bus and I am planning on installing a composting toilet so no black tank needed. I just need a fresh water tank and a gray water tank. Does a gray water tank always need to be installed under the bus? Or can I have both of the tanks in the bus? If so, for weight distribution, where should I put the tanks. I plan on having an open area towards the back of the business to use as storage area (for bikes, grocery shopping, etc) so I don't plan on having a fresh water tank under a bed frame. Maybe the fresh water tank could be under the seatin area? Not sure about the gray tank though. Any help would be appreciated.

heeranyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
You can install the grey water tank inside as long as it is vented outside. To drain your fixtures, simply install a small sump pump under each sink. They cost only ~$40 on ebay.

Just search for "marine shower sump pump" on eBay to find them.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Have you tried custom tanks to fit the space you have available underneath?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
you could get a 30g tank under a sink in a cabinet ok. you could plumb the waste out either on the side or down through the floor.

in the winter, it would be handy to have the water enclosed in a living area.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Bill, I've never heard of a marine shower sump pump before. Would that sump pump be submerged in the gray water tank and then turn on when I want to kick the water out of the bus? And when you say "make sure it's vented to the outside" would that mean cutting a hole on the side of the bus where the hose to the sump pump can kick the water out? I'm so sorry if these questions are so basic.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Have you tried custom tanks to fit the space you have available underneath?

I have not thought about cusom sized tanks. One of the issue I have is finding tanks that fit the spaces inside my bus. Who makes custom tanks?
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

No RV Place Will Work On Bus Conversions

The reason I'm asking if the gray water tank can be inside the bus is because I called 2 of the biggest rv companies here in Omaha and asked if they could work on a bus conversion and they stated no. I don't know how to install a tank underneath the bus so I was looking for an alternative. So I understand I can fit a tank underneath the sink or cabinet close to the sink. What would be the best option for getting the water out. Just carry it out and manually dump it? There was a reply on here to use a marine sump pump but I can't envision how that would work.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
The marine shower sump pump is a small plastic tank (~1/2gl)with a pump in it. The pump runs on dc power. You mount it under your sink or shower and run the sink drain into it. I used a waterless trap between the sink and the sump to prevent odors. The pump in the tank pumps the water to your waste tank. The pump outlet is a barb fitting so a 3/4" or 1" inch hose can run to your waste tank. And it is pumped so it can even flow uphill.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
The marine shower sump pump is a small plastic tank (~1/2gl)with a pump in it. The pump runs on dc power. You mount it under your sink or shower and run the sink drain into it. I used a waterless trap between the sink and the sump to prevent odors. The pump in the tank pumps the water to your waste tank. ...

Bill
Hi Bill,
This is a great idea. Is the marine shower sump similar to a Sani-Flo??
A marine sump would likely be smaller though.
I'm negotiating with a seller to get my 1st schoolie. Fine tuning my
build plans, and this thread is perfect timing for similar questions I
have. Prefer an interior GW tank given the very cold Canadian climate...
Old 05-09-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the explanation Bill.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Mounting any tank under a bus is not easy, but it's not the most challenging job either. Tank size depends on available space, but I suggest installing the biggest that will fit. I hung all four of mine from the frame rails and from longitudinal stringers under the wall, using 1/2" threaded rod hangers to support the base frames that are made from sturdy angle steel. Each of the fresh tanks and the grey tank use ten hangers, and the poo tank uses six - this is much more than their weight requires, but safety is critical. I located each tank horizontally by nesting its top within a surround frame under the floor, and this takes all the fore/aft/sideways loads away from the hangers that then only have to hold it vertically. This way the tanks are positively located in all six possible directions of movement. Each fresh tank is sheathed in 1/2" plywood on all four sides, and all four tanks also sit on 1/2" ply floors on their base frames. The tanks are all roto-moulded from 3/8" polyethylene, with all their fittings spin-welded in.

Getting the tanks under the bus was the hardest part. I jacked up the bus with 12- and 20-ton bottle jacks, slid the tank under, lowered the bus to the ground, then manhandled each tank up into position and secured it.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Ditto for me without the wood boxing in at this point. Also I used 3/8" all thread for my hanger supports. Good for any weight, tensile strength of that rod is 33,000 lbs, so yours are extra heavy duty. Good work.

John
Old 05-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Mounting any tank under a bus is not easy, but it's not the most challenging job either. Tank size depends on available space, but I suggest installing the biggest that will fit. I hung all four of mine from the frame rails and from longitudinal stringers under the wall, using 1/2" threaded rod hangers to support the base frames that are made from sturdy angle steel. Each of the fresh tanks and the grey tank use ten hangers, and the poo tank uses six - this is much more than their weight requires, but safety is critical. I located each tank horizontally by nesting its top within a surround frame under the floor, and this takes all the fore/aft/sideways loads away from the hangers that then only have to hold it vertically. This way the tanks are positively located in all six possible directions of movement. Each fresh tank is sheathed in 1/2" plywood on all four sides, and all four tanks also sit on 1/2" ply floors on their base frames. The tanks are all roto-moulded from 3/8" polyethylene, with all their fittings spin-welded in.

Getting the tanks under the bus was the hardest part. I jacked up the bus with 12- and 20-ton bottle jacks, slid the tank under, lowered the bus to the ground, then manhandled each tank up into position and secured it.

John
John, I much appreciate your detailed notes on installing your tanks.
Thanks very much to all of you wonderful Schoolies who share your real-life and road experience! It's a blessing to those of us who are fledglings in the schoolie realm.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowserJournal View Post
Who makes custom tanks?
Custom Plastic Tanks Fabrication

Google returned several options. I bought standard size tanks for mine but now kinda wish I had priced custom fit tanks.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There were several people on this site that ordered custom tanks, and I remember them remarking that the price really wasn't that bad.

I don't have tanks. I use a standard 55 gallon drum for water. Another barrel could make a high seat toilet!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post

John
Could you possibly post some pictures? This project is in the very near future for me.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
they make hardware and fittings to do it all inside.

here is a waste tank that sits under a short rv toilet. notice the exit hole on the side. right through the interior bus wall.

thats a toilet tank you can install almost anywhere
Old 05-31-2017, 11:24 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellowbus1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Custom Plastic Tanks Fabrication

100 Gallon Plastic Water Storage Tank
100 Gallons 31" 37" DC-900100-1.2$159.99

100 Gallon Water / Waste Holding Tank
100 Gallons 46"L x 26"W x 20"H TRI-WH-2100$510.00
What the hell?!? Both are 100 gallons.

Edit: This is moar betterer...
100 Gallon Portable Utility Tanks
100 Gallons 42"L 26"W 26"H TRANS100-1$187.95
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Hi, thanks for the photo. Those blue tanks, are they tanks that collect gray water and if so, does your kitchen sink water go directly into those blue tanks? Is that hose to reuse the water for your lawn?