Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
OMG!...just WAY too cool! Talk about a "Man Cave" item.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #62
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
OMG!...just WAY too cool! Talk about a "Man Cave" item.
My friends call it the "Job Box". LOL

But my whole house is a man cave of tool boxes and stuff. My bed sits on all Craftsman tool boxes. My kitchen is all tool boxes, as is all other rooms, mostly full of Husky tool chests. All sinks are stainless steel etc.
That's the theme I am using for my rv. Mechanical/industrial.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hell yeah. I have gotten into a building or truck many a time and set down on a gang box/jobox and said dang I should of used the porta/shitter before I came in.
If when the Jolly Roger isn't a family type thing anymore I will definitely work on installing a smaller version even if I have to build the gang box to fit my space.
Cool idea.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Mornin' Everyone,

I see the mention and odd question regarding composting toilets pop up from time to time here but my searches did not yield any detailed discussion.

I though I would put it out there and see if there is enough interest to carry i discussion.

We currently live full time in a fifth wheel travel trailer. I have close to 10 years accumulated living full time in some kind of RV. Through that time my second least favorite chore has been dumping the black tank. My very least favorite task is repairing the black water system when it fails.

I had been considering moving to a composting toilet for the last couple of years but had not put the plan into motion until recently.

We have a lot out in the woods, where we spend the majority of our time, we do not have septic and it is not practical to trad the 5er into town to dump. Our solution to this over the last few years was to put in a large freestanding holding tank and pump the RV tanks into it every 6-7 days. When the big tank gets full we call the porta potty guys and they come and pump it out for about $100.

I have had to rebuild the macerator pump 3 times due to "foreign object damage". It is great fun when you are half way through dumping and the pump breaks. Close the valve, disconnect the pump, poo everywhere.... Then the fun of repairing a pump full of poo.

We had the tank plug once. What a nightmare. After trying everything I could we called the guys that pump our tank and had them come out and hood their big vacuum pump up to the RV tank to try and clear the plug ($180). No luck....

So I added 1/2 gallon of Calgon and topped with water. Then I pulled the RV toilet and sealed the flange. Next Spring we are going to call the pump guys again.

I ran down to Cabellas and bought a camp potty. My wife was thrilled...... Right....

I set out to build a composting toilet. Armed with a skill saw, saber saw and a drill. Not quite the woodshop I am used to but "Version .9 beta" came out ok.

I built it originally without a urine diverter. I had ordered one but it was shipping from England and took 3 weeks to get here. I needed a toilet now.

If you read the various discussions online (Google: Humanure) you will find a lot of discussion regarding: separate or mix. The general idea being that if you want to produce the best compost for your garden then you want to mix solids and liquids in the collection bin. If you want the least odor then you need to seperate the liquids from solids. Having run 2+ weeks without separating, 10 days with a urine diverter that was installed too far forward for proper operation and now about 3 weeks with an improved diverter location, I can attest to the fact that effective separation makes a big difference in the fragrance.

As we are operating today, the toilet room smells consistently better than it did with the RV toilet. And maintenance process is MUCH easier and more pleasant. When we are on the road we will dump the urine container in an available public toilet and toss the solids (we line the collection bin with a trash liner) in a trash receptacle that is appropriate to disposing of diapers. Or, out in the woods and where permitted, dig a hole and bury it.

Handling of the waste is SOOO MUCH LESS offensive than dealing with black tank waste.

Well I am running out of time this morning. I will finish this post this evening.

See ya then.

S.
You need to research the laws on dumping the remains.

You would think it would be the same as chucking a dirty diaper. But it's not. You would think if municipalities encourage you to dump dog poo in a dumpster after Fido does his business in the park then you could dump your bag of poo/coir in the same dumpster. But you legally can't.

There are entire states where you cannot legally get rid of the remains unless it is fully composted and you use it on your property. Full composting takes upwards of a year. This works out if your bus is on your property, but if you travel you are stuck.

I know the laws are stupid. The diaper example should turn the whole "not legal" thing on it's ear. But keep in mind that to be legal with a diaper you need to empty the poo and send it down a toilet. You can't legally put a full diaper in a dumpster. Just the empty plastic lined paper. Just because people do it all the time doesn't make it legal. And as far as the dog poo example - dog poo is legal because dog poo is nowhere near as toxic as human poo. ( I've been told it has to do with dogs having a hotter system than humans-but I haven't researched this)

You can bury on some public land. The rules will change from location to location and will depend on if the land is state, county or federal. The interpretation of the rules will also change with each local administrator. One thing is almost certain. If you ask permission they will say no.

Bottom line - almost everyone that travels and uses a composting toilet breaks the law when they dump the remains. Just keep that in mind when you fling your trash bag in a dumpster.

If I were to do this - and I don't admit that I do - I would make sure the bag is totally closed and tied shut, dump in a dumpster at night when there is nobody around, dump with other trash so the poo/coir bag blends in and have a story about how you had no idea it wasn't legal because people dump diapers all the time. Most likely this will get you off and away with a warning.

Bus on my friends.
alabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Don't feel bad about dumping your compost. Don't mention it to people. Its about 1 million times safer and cleaner than black tanks. After all I have read about this dry toilet it may be the only thing that should be allowed to be thrown in a garbage.

Discretion on our parts I can see soon in a few years composting bins at black water dump sites. What a great way for the states to have good top soil for the flower's and trees at the rest stops and such.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #66
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
,,,What a great way for the states to have good top soil for the flowers and trees at the rest stops and such.
Seems appropriate to give back to the government. Turnabout, as it were...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #67
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Seems appropriate to give back to the government. Turnabout, as it were...
I am afraid that my household does not nearly enough to do that properly......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Engine: Detroit MBE906
If you're not doing a lot, say enough to fill a couple of plastic grocery bags.... find a couple that don't have any holes in them, dump your toilet into those, double tie the handles to seal them shut, then when you're ready to dump your household trash drop a bag of it into each bag of trash. Camouflage, as it were.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not advocating that anyone actually DO this, but it is an alternative.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Geo Jeff... Your design is really cool. Seems to me that a large, "old fashion," motorized, ice cream maker would be work too. The ones I grew up with were a bit too small, unless you didn't mind a daily dump. ( I AM talking about the noun, not the verb) Maybe I should consider a large bread mixer instead. Anyhow ,I like the ol' time idea "mixed" with a modern twist.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #70
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Just don't "make your deposit" in a bag with your junk mail (name & address)
Old 11-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Wouldn't matter on mine if I did, I shred everything so it wouldn't be readable without a lot of effort putting it back together, can't imagine anyone wanting to know who did it bad enough to deal with that.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #72
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
Wouldn't matter on mine if I did, I shred everything so it wouldn't be readable without a lot of effort putting it back together, can't imagine anyone wanting to know who did it bad enough to deal with that.
Some conservation compost makers actually use the shredded junk mail in their cover material blend. A cross cut shredder that makes little chips works great.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #73
Bus Nut

My shredder makes strips 1/4 inch by about 1.5 or 2 inches. Not ideal but could still work.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:27 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Since the conversation has already gone there I have a question about something I've not heard many people talk about, urinals.

I'm considering building in a composting toilet with a side bottle to collect the liquids. As a single guy I was thinking that I might also install a urinal that would drain to the same bottle.

I've also heard of people using the 12v computer fans to help evaporate the urine. If I'm going to bother to vent and install a fan I will give this a try and see how it works.
Zizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #75
Bus Nut

There no evaping the urine there moving odor and moisture off the poo to make it not smell. the way i see it now its the moisture on the poo that makes it smell and the sawdust or what ever is absorbing it. must stop the bio from breaking down causing the bacteria to stop working or to start working. I'm not convince where composting there is art to it.

If cows and horses can poo and pee on the free way why cant we? A dump valve and its all back to nature.

Ah, you wanna give me a 10-9 on that, Pig Pen? Negatory, Pig Pen; you're still too close. Yeah, them hogs is startin' to close up my sinuses. Mercy sakes, you better back off another ten.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #76
Bus Nut

For the 1st time, ever, my wife says she would consider composting. We understand the liquid container seperator, but she can't quite get the female usage idea. Would some of you ladies, or girls for that matter, care to help? There is only so much that I can explain, and really think that's the best way for us to go.
Thanks, in advance.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #77
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizzer View Post
Since the conversation has already gone there I have a question about something I've not heard many people talk about, urinals.

I'm considering building in a composting toilet with a side bottle to collect the liquids. As a single guy I was thinking that I might also install a urinal that would drain to the same bottle.

I've also heard of people using the 12v computer fans to help evaporate the urine. If I'm going to bother to vent and install a fan I will give this a try and see how it works.
A urinal is a great plan. But since you wont have a flush with water cycle, you will now have 2 liquid units that can smell badly, especially in hot weather. The toilet with separation has a lid, that though is not air tight, does help.
You can, if you wish, set a spray bottle next to them both and spray down the sides of each after use with a water/vinegar mix or something with a fragrance. Just dont get too carried away with the volume of the spray and end up having to empty the containers more often than you wish.
Man, single or not, for whatever reason gets pretty bull headed about standing to pee. Probable because we can. But there is no shame in sitting down to pee. It is much more friendly to the surrounding walls and fixtures that get splashed with urine when standing. The taller you are, the worse it gets.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
A urinal is a great plan. But since you wont have a flush with water cycle, you will now have 2 liquid units that can smell badly, especially in hot weather. The toilet with separation has a lid, that though is not air tight, does help.
You can, if you wish, set a spray bottle next to them both and spray down the sides of each after use with a water/vinegar mix or something with a fragrance. Just dont get too carried away with the volume of the spray and end up having to empty the containers more often than you wish.
Man, single or not, for whatever reason gets pretty bull headed about standing to pee. Probable because we can. But there is no shame in sitting down to pee. It is much more friendly to the surrounding walls and fixtures that get splashed with urine when standing. The taller you are, the worse it gets.
Amen Brother Deezl!!

You addressed two very important points. No pun intended.....

We are dog people... We strongly recommend Setters and discourage Pointers....

As far as the spray goes, A little goes a long way. Just enough to wet out the surface will keep things happy.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #79
Bus Nut

I found this smartjon on ebay. what a great price at 300 delivered. ANt one have any experience with this model.
SmartJon Toilet Motorhome Composting Tiny House Off-Grid Cabin Boat Marine RV | eBay
Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #80
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I found this smartjon on ebay. what a great price at 300 delivered. ANt one have any experience with this model.
SmartJon Toilet Motorhome Composting Tiny House Off-Grid Cabin Boat Marine RV | eBay
I do not have any experience with that brand or model. It looks pretty well thought out and the write up on it for the ad looks well written and addresses key points.

However, I do have experience with some "compostable" bags or liners. I would advise anyone considering any manufactured compost toilet that uses liners, or anyone considering their own "loveable loo" type bucket system with liners, to buy a few liners ahead of time and experiment and learn how they hold up.

Many of the "affordable" compost liners seem to start the break down process rather quickly upon any moisture or other material contact. Does not have to be urine or fecal matter, even the organic cover material can start the break down cycle on some bags. The bag/liners that do not begin the break down cycle however, are somewhat suspect as to whether they really are compostable or falsely advertised.

The bleach and toss method listed in the link, does sound familiar and should be checked into for it's legality in all states (or countries). If it is legal and the user does take responsible action, then that may very well solve many concerns about disposal that prevent people from buying and using a compost toilet.
IMO.