Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #61
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Separett Villa is what I put in mine, kinda spendy but it looks most like a real toilet and has a urine diverter

Cdimples67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 PM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

The plastic bag is so you can through it into a garbage can and nobody would complain about it if I was some place for a while then it would go into a compost pile
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
The plastic bag is so you can through it into a garbage can and nobody would complain about it if I was some place for a while then it would go into a compost pile
That's our plan. I don't think we'll have enough time to compost in the toilet itself, and so we'll bag it and dump it in the trash. We'd need to carry around a pretty large bin in order to do a real compost. I gotta imagine we'll be dumping a bag of our people litter every couple of weeks.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
A lot of people use composting toilet to conserve water and help the planet. If you’re using plastic bags for your **** you’re completely defeating that purpose.
The poo never sits long enough to actually compost. "Composting" is thrown around a lot but all it is really is a glorified litterbox.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

There is a book called the humanure hand book it’s worth a read if you get the chance
Old 10-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post

Most people that compost throw it into the trash without realizing it will take 200+ years (in direct sun light) for that plastic bag to break down so that the compost cane fertilize the soil. Compost doesn’t do anything buried in a plastic bag at the bottom of a landfill.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #67
Almost There

The (plastic) bags they give you are compostable and you are supposed to use compostable bags
Old 10-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #68
Bus Nut

That’s good they are composting bags. What’s the price on those? What’s everyone doing to store their sawdust and peat moss?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #69
Almost There

$1200 comes with everything to hook it up unless you run the exhaust different. No peat or sawdust required and I personally don't use any. It has a sm fan that draws air through the toilet so no smell what so ever and the fan has a plug for 120 or 12V. I personally found it worth the extra money because its aesthetically pleasing to the eyes and no need to carry a clear bucket of urine through the campground as it goes into your gray water tank.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Marc, thanks for posting the video. Sort of changes my mind on the composting toilet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
For those who are interested in composting toilets I found this video review to be educational.

leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

weblife.org: Humanure Handbook: Contents
Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #72
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
I built a nice looking wood slat case for the "Bucket" , then added an Oak toilet seat.
it raises the toilet Bucket up to a normal toilet height and fits into the décor of our bus..then we just double bag the contents and dispose of it. We also use pellet litter to help any smells-which there aren't any...No black water tank or messy hoses to drain anything...
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #73
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
C:\Users\DM35\Desktop\OP\OP STUFF\BUS\Bus Concepts & Ideas\1371.jpg
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Attachment 26203

Absolutely not. We’ve found the “beautiful” “toilet of our dreams” so this thread is done. If anyone would like to send us more porcelain composting toilets you know how to find us.

Thanks everyone.
Can you provide a link to the toilet of your dreams? I am a product designer by trade and married to an interior designer on top of that so I understand 100% what you mean by ugly toilets. I prefer a sleek wall mount with the flush water hidden inside the wall behind the toilet personally. I will likely be using a 100 gallon black tank that will last us 4 to 6 weeks before it needs to be emptied.

The whole composting thing is lost on me to be candid. I want a beautiful well appointed modern minimalist bathroom that is especially easy to keep clean.
BoxGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
Can you provide a link to the toilet of your dreams? I am a product designer by trade and married to an interior designer on top of that so I understand 100% what you mean by ugly toilets. I prefer a sleek wall mount with the flush water hidden inside the wall behind the toilet personally. I will likely be using a 100 gallon black tank that will last us 4 to 6 weeks before it needs to be emptied.

The whole composting thing is lost on me to be candid. I want a beautiful well appointed modern minimalist bathroom that is especially easy to keep clean.

http://www.wostman.se/en/ecodry/

The bin will be under the bus which is perfect and something we hadn’t even considered until this toilet was found.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
EcoDry — Wostman

The bin will be under the bus which is perfect and something we hadn’t even considered until this toilet was found.
That is certainly a step up from the plastic bucket type composting heads. Dumping out a urine bucket every day is going to get old pretty fast though, (or would for me anyway).

My plan is a wall mounted toilet (much easier to clean) with the flush tank hidden in the wall behind the toilet. Use the gray water tank for flushing so it doesn't use our fresh water--which will be 200 gal. And a 100 gal black water tank we pump out every 4 - 6 weeks. Essentially like a residential restroom.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #78
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
That is certainly a step up from the plastic bucket type composting heads. Dumping out a urine bucket every day is going to get old pretty fast though, (or would for me anyway).

My plan is a wall mounted toilet (much easier to clean) with the flush tank hidden in the wall behind the toilet. Use the gray water tank for flushing so it doesn't use our fresh water--which will be 200 gal. And a 100 gal black water tank we pump out every 4 - 6 weeks. Essentially like a residential restroom.

You may run into issues with that setup. Grey water can get seriously stinky.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You may run into issues with that setup. Grey water can get seriously stinky.

I was going to route water from the shower only--so not kitchen sink type water. A cap full of bleach now and then as needed (if needed).
Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #80
Almost There

Waterless toilets, waterless toilet