Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Diy grey tanks

Anybody on here made their own grey water tanks? I can’t find the size I need at the salvage yard, and I don’t feel like buying one for the 250-300 that it would cost to get a custom size made. Since it’s a grey tank, it doesn’t have to be anything boa free or anything. I was thinking of using plywood, ridged insulation and some fiberglass inside and out. They are going to be exterior in cold weather so I have to insulate and heat them however I go.

Tawdbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:33 AM   #2
Bus Nut

You could get sheets of polyethylene plastic, cut them to size, and use a plastic welder (along with the metal mesh it comes with) to weld the seams together. Then encase the whole thing in 3/4" plywood, and put electric heating mats on the bottom. The plastic welds wouldn't be structural as long as you build the plywood case well, and the wood would provide enough insulation so long as the heating mats are good enough.

When it's all said and done, though, you'd probably be spending just as much as a premade tank. Here's a few sources to check out:

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Tank Mart worked for me. Great service.

But it’s all about finding the right size wherever that is
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Dave Galey detailed plywood and fiberglass tanks in one of his books. I think it was in "Bus Converters Bible".

I think that he talked about using vinylester resin. I think that I would go with epoxy resin instead. West System is my favored brand.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
DrDanger just started building his own grey water tank out of plywood and fiberglass: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...tml#post373833
Old 02-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
DrDanger just started building his own grey water tank out of plywood and fiberglass: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...tml#post373833
Damn that’s a really clever take on it. You could get a perfectly shaped tank for the space AND for mounting.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Chevy/ wane
Chassis: N/A
Engine: Was 366
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I used a old bus fuel tank it is for the black and gray I made a cut in the bottom and welded a 4" pipe in so I can use a rubber sleeve to connect to the rv dump valve have been using it for about 6 years no leaks it mounts behind the tires between the frame and the outside wall and has a 4" pipe on top to mount the toilet
pat2549314526@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:34 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Chevy/ wane
Chassis: N/A
Engine: Was 366
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I made mine from a old fuel tank from a doner bus it has a 4"pipe to hook to rv valve and a 4" pipe to connect to toilet And use the fill neck for a vent to top of camper it fits between the frame and the outside wall behind the tires have use for about 6 years no leaks
pat2549314526@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Oh, I made my own black and grey tanks out of plywood, epoxy resin, fiberglass and foam board. I guess I had a lot more time to waste back then. Here the link to that thread: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/h...anks-6972.html .
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
home made tanks

I prefer woven mat, but I think for making a tank, what I call "chopper mat" is a better way. resin, hardener, the cheapest throw away brushes you can find, plastic cups, elmer glue, toothpicks, cardboard, scotch tape.

make the shape you want with the foam board, ;you will melt the foam away later with acetone. figure 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch thick at all places. Use cardboard and scotch tape to make round fittings like the drain pipe. measure the stuff like fittings to figure out what outside diameter you are going to have to have in the end.

do not make "hot" resin mixes. the slower you can do the curing the better result you will have. many epoxies work very well but are more difficult to work with. My favorite is pre impregnated cloth. comes to me frozen, takes 12 to 30 hours to cure and is not cheap. Fiberglass will be the best all round choice for a project like this. read up on working with fiberglass and watch a weeks worth of videos before you attempt this... there is a video out there of a guy that made a motorcycle gas tank.... with a foam core.... find it and watch it. along with other videos. Takes time, but is not difficult. at least not to me. it is messy and the chemicals will cause nerve damage, do not use this **** in an enclosed space and do not use this with out the correct kind of face mask. This nerve/brain damage thing happens small amounts at a time but is very very real. One of the nicest guys I know is a painter and twenty five years of painting has now made him a slow thinking person now. He is a shadow of the man that started painting cars when he was 17.

and think about how a tank drains. build a mini version out of card board put a layer of fiberglass on the bottom and sides and fill with some water and see how it works, that will let you make changes if you need to..... baffles will help reduce internal stresses from fluid pounding around on the insides. If you know anything about water hammer, you will get an idea. Many dont think about the force of the fluids on the inside when stopping. starting and turning. the result is a broken tank. if the tank is biggish 40 gallons or more and the bus a cutaway van kind of thing, you can feel the liquid sloshing around. this comes more in to play when things go wrong, like a blow out on a turn in the rain......... shifting loads poor driving skills and all hell breaking loose at once compounds problems. also have to make strong enough to handle loads going over bumps, pot holes, curbs and road hazards. Imagine this tank anywhere near a tire that looses a tread. that flap of tread will really beat the hell out of stuff. consider putting a 14 or 12 gage steel on the side and bottom that is exposed to road hazards. beats a smashed tank that is unusable from damage.

it is a satisfying thing to me to be able to make custom stuff, but it is often cheaper in the long haul if I spend time to find stuff that is premade ... I can spend 40 to 80 hours looking at tanks to be able to get an idea of who makes what an what is expensive and what is inexpensive and what is cheap junk. The last black tank I made, had 1/2 thick walls, carried 100 gallons, had built in rinse sprays, was sloped and curved in such a way that **** did not get stuck in the tank, baffled, fit a very irregular shape, formed part of the bottom of an undertray for the aerodynamics on a truck, think semi sized truck an took three mini models to make and final tank took two weeks working about four hours a day.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote