Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
It just means that when you burn propane, it produces carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and water. Which is why the Mr. Buddy propane heater would be named Mr. Soggy Death if there were any truth-in-product-naming laws.

You should definitely vent this thing.
One of the biggest issues in ANY RV is water condensation. Breathing, cooking, showering can all cause any cooler surface to collect water condensation. Burning LP should always be vented to prevent moisture, mold, and mildew!

BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:47 AM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Chevrolet B-Series
Engine: 366 V-8
Absolutely vent it, as well as all your other propane appliances. I went through a fair bit of trouble and cash to purchase a water heater and furnace that both exhaust through the floor since I didn't want to vent through the roof and the design of my bus prohibits venting through the side. Additionally I'll be adding something not often seen in skoolies: a vent hood. As others have said, it's a small space and quite simply not worth the health risks to cut corners here. The extra effort and money is worth the piece of mind.

This is a good read on venting tiny houses:
https://tinylifeconsulting.com/prope...ny-house/#vent
paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I hear Darwin is still alive and well. Recipients of the award however, are always posthumous.

If it's a vented appliance VENT IT. Anything else is filling out an award application.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #24
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
I keep finding more and more of the tankless units that use a few watts of AC power to draw in fresh air and exhaust the spent gases. I think that they are referred to as Direct Vent water heaters.

Seems to be a good option for getting rid of the CO.
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
One of the biggest issues in ANY RV is water condensation. Breathing, cooking, showering can all cause any cooler surface to collect water condensation. Burning LP should always be vented to prevent moisture, mold, and mildew!
This is my main concern - even with a vent pipe to the outside, with no exhaust fan the moisture definitely builds up! One hot shower and we've got some real moisture buildup in the sink cabinet with the water heater.
I'm going to try to hit the whole area under the sink with some Kilz, and eventually install a little DC exhaust fan that vents out underneath the heater to pull the moist air out.
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marey, propane appliances, tankless, venting