Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Fittings for Fresh Water Tank after Uniseal

Hi everyone,

I'm not getting clear results from my research into what fittings to use for my fresh water tank. Here's what I'm trying to connect:

- 1/2in vent hose and 1 1/4in hose for gravity feed, both of these will be on the top of the tank in the middle

- Hole for drain (no idea how big this should be, also no idea what to use) and 1/2in braided hose going to the pump, both of these will be on the side of the tank at one end.

I should note it is a 62ga tank that will be situated under the bus.

I have the uniseal fittings for the tank, but have seen so many different types of connectors/adapters to fit inside the uniseal in order to connect the hoses to the tank. There are so many options for PVC/copper, female/male ends, adapters for changing the size of piping, etc. Too many choices... I am totally overwhelmed.

I know I will need teflon tape for female/male connections and metal screw clamps for barbed hose connections.

Does anyone have links or specific names of the connectors they used and would suggest? Any Canadian companies or things on Amazon Canada would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!

csulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by csulli View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm not getting clear results from my research into what fittings to use for my fresh water tank. Here's what I'm trying to connect:

- 1/2in vent hose and 1 1/4in hose for gravity feed, both of these will be on the top of the tank in the middle

- Hole for drain (no idea how big this should be, also no idea what to use) and 1/2in braided hose going to the pump, both of these will be on the side of the tank at one end.

I should note it is a 62ga tank that will be situated under the bus.

I have the uniseal fittings for the tank, but have seen so many different types of connectors/adapters to fit inside the uniseal in order to connect the hoses to the tank. There are so many options for PVC/copper, female/male ends, adapters for changing the size of piping, etc. Too many choices... I am totally overwhelmed.

I know I will need teflon tape for female/male connections and metal screw clamps for barbed hose connections.

Does anyone have links or specific names of the connectors they used and would suggest? Any Canadian companies or things on Amazon Canada would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!
What material is the tank? That determines the kinds of connections you can use (other than the uniseal).

Did your tank come with integrated fittings? Sounds like no, but might as well ask.

A freshwater tank needs a vent, typically connected to something like a Valtera brand freshwater inlet. It also needs an inlet hose, which usually is a 1.5" clear plastic flex line (available at hardware stores).

The output line typically is 1/2", on the side at the bottom of the tank where the water will gravity feed. This line is also flex hose, and connects to a pump like a Shureflo.

You don't need an access port, it's a nice to have at best. (maybe others disagree?)
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
What material is the tank? That determines the kinds of connections you can use (other than the uniseal).

Did your tank come with integrated fittings? Sounds like no, but might as well ask.

A freshwater tank needs a vent, typically connected to something like a Valtera brand freshwater inlet. It also needs an inlet hose, which usually is a 1.5" clear plastic flex line (available at hardware stores).

The output line typically is 1/2", on the side at the bottom of the tank where the water will gravity feed. This line is also flex hose, and connects to a pump like a Shureflo.

You don't need an access port, it's a nice to have at best. (maybe others disagree?)
Thanks for the response!

The tank is NSF-certified polyethylene with no integrated fittings. I am pretty confident with how to cut the holes, what sizes they need to be, and how to install the uniseals (lots of instructional videos on youtube).

What I'm looking for is the piece that goes into the uniseal that connects the pipes you mentioned to the tank. The uniseal website says that you can use any connectors/adapters, but that isn't helpful to me.
csulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International Genesis
Engine: Navistar D466
I used Nylon hose fittings and pool hose.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...hoCmYkQAvD_BwE

The pool hose is fairly flexible and can handle the vibrations better than PVC or copper. Your drain and fill lines being 1 1/4 make them too big for copper anyway. PVC would work for the fittings, but if water sits in them you have the potential for freezing and cracking.
Inside the bus for fresh supply lines I did pex with barb fittings.
Delos356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I have polyethylene tanks as well, though mine had integrated fittings.

My lines are similar to Delos's, 1.25" I.D. Pool hose, very stiff but bendable. I used 1/25" copper fittings for the connections and hose clamped everything. It was a challenge getting the hose clamps tight enough but I figured it out eventually.

1/2" feed to the pump and vent is similar hose, but nylon fittings there.

I'd love to see the finished job with the uniseal. I have a provision for a bulkhead/port on top of the freshwater tank, but have not so far needed to get into the tank to clean it.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International Genesis
Engine: Navistar D466
Man my bad- I just researched the uniseal and it looks like you need NO fitting, you just jam the pipe straight in there.
Delos356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 03:46 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
Csulli-

Delos is correct. Once the uniseal fitting is installed in the tank you just push the pipe into it. I suggest to make sure that you have a nice smooth square cut on the pipe and debur it. Perhaps even put a slight bevel on the outer edge of the pipe. A little bit of water or soapy water sprayed on the pipe and fitting will make it easier to push the pipe in.

Bon Courage
Old 03-21-2022, 07:58 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Use sharkbite hose and fittings from Lowe's or Home Depot it doesn't burst like plastic pipe very easily installed and just as easy to repair it can be used for many different types of liquids you can use a propane bottle torch to slow heat the pipe for corners which saves cost on fittings and no glue needed
dozr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: P30
Engine: 454ci Big Block Chevrolet
Uniseals are amazing

I built an aquaponics system with two large fish tanks and 3 60 gallon barrels in series, all connected with uniseals. One very neat feature of a uniseal is that It can allow you to plumb a barrel with a round side where a bulkhead fitting will never fit.

These things work very well.
craigify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozr62 View Post
Use sharkbite hose and fittings from Lowe's or Home Depot it doesn't burst like plastic pipe very easily installed and just as easy to repair it can be used for many different types of liquids you can use a propane bottle torch to slow heat the pipe for corners which saves cost on fittings and no glue needed
In this case I thing the OP is discussing plumbing into a poly tank, not pressurized supply.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:47 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: 3800
Engine: t444e
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozr62 View Post
I'm not a fan of sharkbite fittings / pex-b. They're not the most robust solution for plumbing - eventually they're gonna leak - and the fittings themselves are very expensive. For the price you'll eventually pay in fittings, you can buy a manual tool for installing expansion fittings ($100). The expansion fittings themselves are reasonable and the expansion rings are pennies on the dollar. The fitment is by far superior to any other PEX connecting system, and opposed to everything else, only gets better over time. Yes, you need to roll with PEX-A, but the cost difference over PEX-B isn't that much, and from anectodal reports there appears to be less potential for objectional taste/odors.
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
In this case I thing the OP is discussing plumbing into a poly tank, not pressurized supply.
Im think too
Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote