Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my trash bin stays in my garage.. as does my recycle bin... we dont even put the bag of cat-butt into the dumpster until it goes out the night before pickup day.... of course in the city, pickup is done by a dude in a union-seat that pushes a button to make the arm come out, grab the can, and empty it.. if he tips one over he just drives away and leaves it and its mess

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:34 PM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
I would NOT dump a bag of compost-toilet waste in a residential dumpster, or a business where it would be expected to be handled manually. I agree, that's crappy behavior (pun so very much intended).

Unless we're in Colorado.
Or Ohio.
my work here is done
Old 07-15-2022, 10:10 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
I really can't wait to see you do this. I wish we had the ability but it's just not in the cards. Great plan.
Well I figured if the Marine Corps can pull up to a cess pool or better source of liquid, toss in the intake screen hose of an RO treatment trailer, and pump out clear, fresh, potable water (I'm sure they're trained not to tell anyone they deliver the water to what the source was) then I should be able to use smaller components and build a similar system. We're not going for potable but I will be having the water tested once we are using it under real world conditions and who knows. If it turns out potable I may have to discard the black tank and go with an incinerating toilet.....and maybe half the potable water supply.
It is a key component of our build as our ultimate goal is for the potable water, shower water, and black tank to outlast our food supply or go 30 days.
Whether or not it works, it will be documented on our website for input and suggestions for improvement.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:53 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
NO, spreading human waste on food bearing plants IS NOT acceptable. Sure some say it is but there are also those who advocate sterilizing human sold waste and using it as food. Certain middle east countries fertilize food crops with human waste.... their potatoes are absolutely NASTY.
I'm just gonna put on some galoshas, jump in, make a quick post, then go look for a hose. The US is about the only nation on the planet that doesn't use people poop on food crops. Just about every other nation on the planet does so. People poop actually makes a great fertilizer. When the Germans are spreading fertilizer on their crops, WHEEEOOOOH! You learned quick not to take a drive through the country during certain times of the year. The only real issue with it is people-killing microbes, but as long as they're killed off (and cooking it will do that without affecting it as a fertilizer) it's fine.

Oh, and on other people's posts using kitty litter? I wouldn't use that on anything going into anyone's septic system. Kitty litter is clay, and will not process. It'll just settle down to the bottom of whatever septic system it goes into. At best it'll cause the system to fill up requiring a pumpout, at worst it'll damage any pooterpumpers inside that will cause the drop station to shut down for repairs. Cause it to shut down often enough and the drop station might be closed down permanently. I wouldn't even use wood chips for this as while wood is biodegradable, it takes years to do so and in the meantime it can damage equipment that was designed to handle squishy solids. Ash of some sort would probably be the friendliest cover material. So far as dumping into the trash, in a year it'll just be plain dirt. Other stuff dumped in the trash will be a hazard far longer than a bunch of yesterday's Taco Bell. No, wait, I tell a lie there, nuclear waste is less of a hazard than yesterday's Taco Bell. But you know what I mean here. Poop is essentially dirt.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:40 AM   #85
Bus Crazy

most of colorados biosolids gets applied to dryland farm ground near Denver. fuel costs keeps it within 100 miles of their facility.

generally its applied to feed crops, wheat and corn, that goes into feeding cows.

the compost is also approved for landscapers, golf courses...

https://www.metrowaterrecovery.com/b...gro-biosolids/

when i was a teacher, i'd take classes to tour this facility. its pretty amazing. yes people flush everything. they have filters for fetuses......
the highlight of the tour is at the end after looking at all the pools, pumps, filters and everything extracted from the waste stream, the guy sticks his hand into the finished compost.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #86
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Meat, Veggies & Poo

City folks: "Growing Crops & Processing Meat is Gross"
(then eat it)

Florida produces 320,000 tons of human waste per year.

Waste disposal companies across the state process & treat Class B waste to the higher Class AA standard — meaning nearly no bacteria or heavy metals, but the same amount of nitrogen and phosphorus — and sell it as refined, commercial fertilizer.

Lee County, for example, sells its "OrganicLee" fertilizer to customers in Lee, Polk, Glades, Hardee, Collier, Sarasota and Highlands counties.

All farmers get poo on themselves (usually, animal poo). We remove poo from the meat and spread poo on crops, too.

This discussion is similar to listening to children discuss the souce of babies. The stork vs the gross way. So naive & no experience with composting. Just "gross". Lol. Surprise folks, your poo is composted by someone or simply dumped into the ocean. (Now that is gross.)
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
nothing says invigorating shower like being hit with Butt-crack water from yesterday... how is a recirc shower even close to clean? I mean seems better to just wipe down with a quart of fresh water and throw it away and take a shower every-other-day rather than have yesterdays soap scum and sweat-water running all over me..
besides the extra cost of filters and or RO system maitenance?
i would rather do a canteen bath?
not like it doesnt happy daily in the military field.
of course things are probably alot different now than when i was a grunt.
our forward operating base was a sand dune or a thick spot in a jungle or a thick group of trees so yeah cat holes and canteen baths when you had a chance at water resupply.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
City folks: "Growing Crops & Processing Meat is Gross"
(then eat it)

Florida produces 320,000 tons of human waste per year.

Waste disposal companies across the state process & treat Class B waste to the higher Class AA standard — meaning nearly no bacteria or heavy metals, but the same amount of nitrogen and phosphorus — and sell it as refined, commercial fertilizer.

Lee County, for example, sells its "OrganicLee" fertilizer to customers in Lee, Polk, Glades, Hardee, Collier, Sarasota and Highlands counties.

All farmers get poo on themselves (usually, animal poo). We remove poo from the meat and spread poo on crops, too.

This discussion is similar to listening to children discuss the souce of babies. The stork vs the gross way. So naive & no experience with composting. Just "gross". Lol. Surprise folks, your poo is composted by someone or simply dumped into the ocean. (Now that is gross.)
never witnessed it myself but what does an airplane toilet do on dump cycle?
have heard it just gets dumped in the sky at each use to land wherever?
or do they have a holding tank and pump it out at each stop?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:32 PM   #89
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32' Two peeps and a Dog!
Quote:
Our bus has a designed in water reclamation system. It's not that difficult but it does take a larger bus....at least the one I've designed...... but I'm going for "best chance at long term success".
Our system has Black, Grey, and Reclaimed as well as the original Potable tanks. 200gal fresh tanks supply two systems. Potable is used in the Kitchen and bathroom sinks and no where else. Those sinks drain to the BLACK tank. The shower, washer/dryer combo, roof and side spigots, and the macerating toilet are all fed by the reclaimed tank which starts out (after each dump and potable fill) with potable water (appx 35gal).
Shower and washer discharges go to the Grey tank where they are then pumped through a filter system consisting of large contaminant screen, pleated paper particulate filters, a reverse osmosis (RO) filter, and finally a UV sterilizer and into the reclaimed tank. Since RO filters are notorious water wasters with about 19 parts waste to 1 part filtered water, the RO waste line will return to the grey tank. This is doable because the "waste" RO water is only slightly more contaminated than it was originally (basically it's missing 1/20th of it volume while containing the same amount of contaminants that entered the RO unit.
I believe we will need to also use a a bit of chlorine or bromine within the reclaimed system but will wait to see just how effective the system is as a whole.
So, even in a bus, we can maximize off grid time while minimizing water usage and time between visits to the sanitary dump station.
In addition, I'm considering plumbing AC condensate to the gray tank since there is no reason to waste that water. The plumbing will be installed in the initial build to minimize future effort required to add that system should it be desirable to do so.

Our limiting factor will be the capacity of the black tank which will be appx 100gal. Our current 5th wheel has 37gal black capacity which can last the two of us two weeks. We hope to get 1 month between dump station visits.

That all sounds great. I really like how you have really thought out the system so there's very little waste and you re use a bunch of water. I think I've come across some posts about your system. Cool stuff!
Old 07-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
Just about every other nation on the planet does so.
Totally invalid argument.

The United States, with all our problems, has been proven again and again to be the most successful country in the world. That comes from doing things the way we do them not copying the failures of the rest of the world. In less than 250 years this country has brought the living standard of most of the world to the point that we live too long and have too much leisure time with which to squabble while our youngest generations are so spoiled that they're basically helpless as a generational cohort. Oh, let's not forget being THE reason two world wars were ended with the aggressors put in their place.

The vast majority of the worlds population lives under tyrannic systems such as communism and dictatorships. Does that mean we should too?
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 07-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #91
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
never witnessed it myself but what does an airplane toilet do on dump cycle?
have heard it just gets dumped in the sky at each use to land wherever?
or do they have a holding tank and pump it out at each stop?

Commercial airplanes have tanks for "blue water" which is what the toilet is flushed with as well as potable water (the sink). Those two drain to a holding tank which is drained during service on the ground.....using what is essentially the stinky slinky that we RVers use on the ground though I guarantee you every piece of the system cost WAY more than we pay.
Now, private planes, particularly ones with long endurance, sometimes have a funnel type device and a tube leading to a low pressure area outside the aircraft. You open the valve in the line and there is a vacuum at the bottom of the "funnel" which removes the liquid. It is not for solids.
Same with military cockpits. Some aircraft have a relief tube that the crew can use to evacuate liquid waste in much the same manner as the above described private planes. Larger (cargo and transport type) military aircraft will have a latrine on board. Usually just a can with a bag and you are high discouraged from using it. But it's there if needed.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:23 PM   #92
Bus Crazy

Your history is funny, Ham. Please don't swallow everything they fed us in the military. Much of it was the same sludge being talked about in this very thread.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:41 PM   #93
Bus Crazy

Innacurate or Wild Opinion, but the Facts....

250 years. Lol. Most European homes are older than that. How much longer before the experiment ends? Maybe already happened.

If success is measured in centuries, China, UK, Italy, France......
Rome is still there, right. Still a wealthy & powerful group in the Vatican. What metric of success? Manufacturing? GNP? War machine? Idk, we've slipped far the past few decades. Maybe listening to our own chest pounding too long.

The Solviets killed more Germans than the entire Allied Forces, combined. By a landslide Russians killed 76% of all German who died in WW2. The Russians also lost more lives, than the entire Alied Forces. 25 million Russians died in WW2. 16 Million, civilian. Historical facts. I'm not a supporter.

The bomb(s) were a demonstration. Thanks to the Solviets, the war was already over.

From poop, to history, to future talk. Our beliefs are only as accurate as their source. Heck, my head could be full of poo and not even know it.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:24 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Quote:
Totally invalid argument.

The United States, with all our problems, has been proven again and again to be the most successful country in the world. That comes from doing things the way we do them not copying the failures of the rest of the world. In less than 250 years this country has brought the living standard of most of the world to the point that we live too long and have too much leisure time with which to squabble while our youngest generations are so spoiled that they're basically helpless as a generational cohort. Oh, let's not forget being THE reason two world wars were ended with the aggressors put in their place.
The point is, we import food from all over the world, and that food we import was grown using people poop as fertilizer. You've already been eating it, and it's not been an issue. Using people poop as fertilizer is not failure, it's actually a very high quality fertilizer, and while I'm as patriotic as the next actual American I also recognize that sometimes the American way is not going to be the right way. The American way has been to outsource everything possible for a buck for the last 50 years, for example, and I have never liked that way of thinking.

Quote:
The vast majority of the worlds population lives under tyrannic systems such as communism and dictatorships. Does that mean we should too?
Hyperbole. Supporting copying one idea from other nations does not mean copying every idea. As Americans, we're supposed to be the best at everything, and be the most successful at everything. Sometimes that means looking at what some lesser nation is doing successfully, then we take their idea and make it better. Other nations crap in a bucket and put it on their food crops, and it's a great fertilizer. The American way should be, we collect tons of people poop, sterilize it, process it and make it a great, safe, odorless fertilizer. Every city in the US should be turning their sewage treatment plants into profit-making fertilizer plants, be a damned site better than dumping raw sewage straight into rivers and oceans like a lot of US cities do.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:33 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Hunter's Latrine

Dig the hole first?
Old 07-20-2022, 08:58 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Seems like I’ve read threads like this before. The battle rages on.

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #97
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post

Dig the hole first?

LOL. Can you imagine being shot like that?
I'd at least be wearing blaze orange

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #98
Bus Crazy

oh gosh.....

welp.

ok hubbard, bring your crap strap. i gots lots of trees that need fert.

i'll warn the neighbors
Old 07-20-2022, 01:10 PM   #99
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
oh gosh.....

welp.

ok hubbard, bring your crap strap. i gots lots of trees that need fert.

i'll warn the neighbors
ROFLMAO.

Damn man, I'm sorry. I'll put my poo where you tell me too. Heck, I won't even poo at all.

Have I told you how beautiful I think Colorado is?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #100
Bus Crazy

Quote:
LOL. Can you imagine being shot like that?
I'd at least be wearing blaze orange
OH LIFE EXPERIENCES

ANYONE who says life experiences don't affect your thought processes isn't thinking straight.
You said you'd hate to get shot in that thing.....and my Marine Corps brain immediately went to "yeah I'd have my M4 slug across my chest.

Your life experiences however said "blaze orange" was the answer.

Different experiences, different thought processes, and quite often different solutions.