Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Grey/black or just black?

We are in planning stage. We will for sure do a composting toilet. Id like to do a urin diverter. The plan is for a small kitchen sink. Because space is an issue (sleeping 6 in 27 foor but) we are considering either no shower or possibly a wet bath.

What Im trying to figure out is it does not seem to make sense to have a small black tank for pee only and a larger grey tank for sink/possible shower. Would it be advisable to just drain everything to one large black tank. The safety of smells/gas coming through drains for sink and shower drain are my real question.

Desertsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

In these designs, with a "composting" toilet, I just do a combined tank for urine and shower/sinks and I treat that as I would straight urine...meaning no dumping at the campsite. Even if it were just dirty shower/sink water, with soaps and food debris, it's not cool to dump those at a campsite anyway...so I don't think anything is lost by combining it all.

Even if you handled urine separately, you'd still want hepvo valves in your shower and sink drain lines. Gray tanks stink a lot and without a hepvo valve (or, not as good, a P trap) you'll get stink inside.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
a single tank is fine, but why compost? that's an extra unnecessary step for disposal.

ptraps or hepvos keep odor out of the living area, same as your house.

black tanks need liquid to work, the more the better.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
We are in planning stage. We will for sure do a composting toilet. Id like to do a urin diverter. The plan is for a small kitchen sink. Because space is an issue (sleeping 6 in 27 foor but) we are considering either no shower or possibly a wet bath.

What Im trying to figure out is it does not seem to make sense to have a small black tank for pee only and a larger grey tank for sink/possible shower. Would it be advisable to just drain everything to one large black tank. The safety of smells/gas coming through drains for sink and shower drain are my real question.
This is why gas traps exist.

I would definitely advise for a wet bath, and/or possibly an outdoor shower. You can always put up a pop tent if you're not in a park or some other place that forbids it.

Also, there are realities of composting toilets that make 6 seem a bit much for a single unit, even if it's a two-stage with a massive bucket.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:04 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
This is why gas traps exist.

I would definitely advise for a wet bath, and/or possibly an outdoor shower. You can always put up a pop tent if you're not in a park or some other place that forbids it.

Also, there are realities of composting toilets that make 6 seem a bit much for a single unit, even if it's a two-stage with a massive bucket.
Im leaning towards wet bath. Just trying to figure out how to make it work with a composting toilet. We are for sure doing the outdoor shower. Our goal is more dispersed camping than parks so making the tank last as long as possible is the goal. We have used composting toilets at my brother in laws cabin so it doesnt scare us.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Skoolie

You can make it work with a good-sealing lid, or something like a plastic cover made especially for the purpose.

Think something like that naugahyde/plastic checkerboard tablecloth material used in older diners. Cut out the shape of the seat plus an inch or two and and fold it down and sew it together so that it forms a cover that will keep the shower from going into the toilet because it covers the spaces between the lid, the seat, and the bowl.

Or, you know, find one with a lid that basically does the same.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:29 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You can make it work with a good-sealing lid, or something like a plastic cover made especially for the purpose.

Think something like that naugahyde/plastic checkerboard tablecloth material used in older diners. Cut out the shape of the seat plus an inch or two and and fold it down and sew it together so that it forms a cover that will keep the shower from going into the toilet because it covers the spaces between the lid, the seat, and the bowl.

Or, you know, find one with a lid that basically does the same.
I was assuming a movable toilet but now that you mention it even a fold down shelf etc to keep water from the top of the throne would be a much easier way. If i can fit it.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:08 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsparky View Post
I was assuming a movable toilet but now that you mention it even a fold down shelf etc to keep water from the top of the throne would be a much easier way. If i can fit it.
Well, I was assuming that with that many in the family, you'd be working with one of the nicer two-stage composters, maybe with an augur or something that can send it down to a larger composting tank, maybe even with an outside door that you could shovel it out of from; so moving would be out of the option.

But, to me, it seems, that a down-turned lid or crapper-cover makes the most sense, and would be the easiest solution to produce or manufacture.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:36 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Well, I was assuming that with that many in the family, you'd be working with one of the nicer two-stage composters, maybe with an augur or something that can send it down to a larger composting tank, maybe even with an outside door that you could shovel it out of from; so moving would be out of the option.

But, to me, it seems, that a down-turned lid or crapper-cover makes the most sense, and would be the easiest solution to produce or manufacture.
Im open to all ideas haha.