Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Grey tank by muffler?

We’re facing the limitation of space under our shorty. We’ve found a water tank that fits be our back tires on the drivers side. We’re concerned about how much room we need to be away from the back tires and if the tanks need to be protected. They measure 34 1/2" x 19 3/4" x 15 3/4" . We were hoping to put fresh on one side of the back and greywater on the other. We have the room on the passenger side rear end, but, the tank would hang two inches away from the muffler and we’re afraid that might melt the plastic. Is that enough clearance? We’re thinking, if not enough clearance, can we move the muffler over toward the center of the bus more? Are there reasons for length of muffler and the 2 foot bend in it before it runs out the back, or, are we pretty free to change where and how it runs out the back of the bus?
Thank you! It’s getting pretty exciting as we start adding things to the bus Got a max fan and skylight in. All windows torn out, cleaned, polished and reinstalled, most leaks chased down. Now its down to some structural changes and deciding what happens under the bus..

Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I doubt it would be a concern, if there is water in the tank, it can't melt. You can boil water over an open flame in a paper cup. If need be, get a heat shield for the muffler or tank.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You can boil water over an open flame in a paper cup.
I've gotta try this.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
How close is the muffler to the tank? Is it directly below it? How far back from the engine?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
I doubt it would be a concern, if there is water in the tank, it can't melt. You can boil water over an open flame in a paper cup. If need be, get a heat shield for the muffler or tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
How close is the muffler to the tank? Is it directly below it? How far back from the engine?
"the tank would hang two inches away from the muffler and we’re afraid that might melt the plastic."
Old 08-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Hi Danjo, thought I hit reply, but, not seeing my reply, so, hopefully this isn’t a duplicate. We’re hoping to put the tank behind the back tires, but, the muffler runs the full length of tank, 34inches, about 2/3 way down tank side. Tank won’t always be full, so, not sure relying on water to absorb heat will always be reliable. The distance from the engine is approx 17 foot back. 25foot bus. Also unsure about rocks being kicked up By back tires and abrasion to tank. Wondering if tank should be enclosed?
Thanks for any thoughts you have on that.
Karen
Old 08-24-2020, 02:40 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
That’s a long way back. The exhaust has lost a lot of it’s heat by then. If you think it could be too hot, wrap a piece of polypropylene around it and go for a drive.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Are you sure you want your fresh water tank outside? It will freeze unless you take extra steps. I'm also putting my gray tank behind the rear wheels, but on the side opposite the exhaust pipe - fresh water tank is going inside, under my bed in the back.

Legally, many states require the exhaust to run all the way to the back (although a majority of states seem to not have any specific legislation covering it), but people do occasionally cut it short and have it exit from one side ahead of the rear wheels.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
With a heat shield, I believe you would be fine.

The larger concern, IMO, is proximity to the tires. When a tire blows, it can do a massive amount of damage (far more than most imagine - Google it). This is one reason to replace tires based on age (no older than 7 years) but that is still no guarantee. If I were putting a tank near the tires, I would build some VERY heavy duty protection for the tank and lines. When planning that, imagine a 4' long piece of rather heavy steel cable whipping around at 60mph (in other words, it can reach a pretty good instance from the center of the wheel). A blown tire by itself is not a terribly big deal - if it takes out your water tank, plumbing, electrical, etc... it can quickly become a serious inconvenience.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
That’s a long way back. The exhaust has lost a lot of it’s heat by then. If you think it could be too hot, wrap a piece of polypropylene around it and go for a drive.
Thanks Danjo. We’ll give that a try. Have you had any experience with straightening out a muffler line? It looks like if we just took out a crook in its direction and had it run straight out the back end (it would then run out the middle of the bus) that would solve our concerns fairly easily.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
With a heat shield, I believe you would be fine.

The larger concern, IMO, is proximity to the tires. When a tire blows, it can do a massive amount of damage (far more than most imagine - Google it). This is one reason to replace tires based on age (no older than 7 years) but that is still no guarantee. If I were putting a tank near the tires, I would build some VERY heavy duty protection for the tank and lines. When planning that, imagine a 4' long piece of rather heavy steel cable whipping around at 60mph (in other words, it can reach a pretty good instance from the center of the wheel). A blown tire by itself is not a terribly big deal - if it takes out your water tank, plumbing, electrical, etc... it can quickly become a serious inconvenience.

Thanks for that caution! We had thought we checked our tires well when buying, and, now that we haven’t home, have spotted a bulge in one of the back tires. Ugh, the excitement of first time buyers threw some of our more carful considerations right out the bus window! We’re seeing that 3 of our tires could actually be replaced. That brings up a whole ‘nother topic on its current gear ratio and whether we might want to just move to a bit larger tires for a few more mph.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Moving the exhaust is not a problem, put it where it is best for your needs. My exhaust is close the the grey tank but only under one corner of it, and it is after the muffler.

Bulge in a tire not a good sign. As far as age limits Germany has a 10 year limit, or 7 year limit for the Autobahn. This would be a good standard. In any case I wear mine out long before ten years.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
Thanks Danjo. We’ll give that a try. Have you had any experience with straightening out a muffler line? It looks like if we just took out a crook in its direction and had it run straight out the back end (it would then run out the middle of the bus) that would solve our concerns fairly easily.
Moving the exhaust would be the easiest solution. Mine ran out the back bumper, but needed room for the propane tank. So made one cut in the elbow of the exhaust, turn it 180* and then cut it too length. This brings it out about 2' behind the axle. The clamps are only around $10.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1301.jpg   IMG_1302.jpg  
Old 08-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Moving the exhaust would be the easiest solution. Mine ran out the back bumper, but needed room for the propane tank. So made one cut in the elbow of the exhaust, turn it 180* and then cut it too length. This brings it out about 2' behind the axle. The clamps are only around $10.
Exactly, exhauset work is simple. The band clamps can be found in most any of the medium duty truck stores like Ogburns, or even the O'Reilly Truck stores and Napa truck stores.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #15

Check out Amazon - there are some good options.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-11...motive&sr=1-28
homeschoolie is offline   Reply With Quote