Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
A low-tech option could be one of the portable rv waste holding tanks. The ones with wheels. I think they make them up to like 35 gallons. If traveling, you probably wouldn't want to store it in your living space, so this might only make sense if you have large exterior storage or a 'garage' area.

Edit: haha Oscar1, great minds think alike! I beat you to it by mere seconds!

Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
The easiest solution I can think of for your semi permenant situation is a portable tank. You can haul it away from your pad for disposal when necessary. Many large Rv owners use these in parks so that they don't have to pack up everything to go up to the dump station.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	56255
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:28 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Haha someone types faster than me
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
A low-tech option could be one of the portable rv waste holding tanks. The ones with wheels. I think they make them up to like 35 gallons. If traveling, you probably wouldn't want to store it in your living space, so this might only make sense if you have large exterior storage or a 'garage' area.

Edit: haha Oscar1, great minds think alike! I beat you to it by mere seconds!

This seems like a great solution. Bolt some brackets to the bus, strap a portable tank to the outside and then lower it when you need it and plumb right in.

Just gonna need a hoist to get it back up, water is about 8lbs per gallon.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
There are also special valves that replace the p trap and can be layed flat, gaining you a couple of inches. I lived in 21 foot trailer at an airstrip out in Aguila AZ. some years ago . Since it was legal to dump grey water on the ground ,I did just that. And threw handfuls of wildflower seeds down and it brought birds and bees and flowers. YMMV
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
There are also special valves that replace the p trap and can be layed flat, gaining you a couple of inches. I lived in 21 foot trailer at an airstrip out in Aguila AZ. some years ago . Since it was legal to dump grey water on the ground ,I did just that. And threw handfuls of wildflower seeds down and it brought birds and bees and flowers. YMMV
I did something similar when I lived in the fifth wheel, just routed it to my garden for a while
HollowHaven92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Good conversation.

I think we all thought you were going to just dump the water wherever, but clearly your situation is one of the corner cases.

The sensitivity comes from the reality that the skoolie community attracts folks who depart from societal norms and overlook their personal cost to society. The challenge of "it's okay to leave the trash, as long as you pile it neatly" will always be with us.

I have a couple of those solar shower bags, and I could totally see doing an outdoor shower now and then with the mixer valve tipped out the window. There is no bright line, it's all personal choice and personal judgement until you open the gate valve and dump 40 gallons of scummy water for the next boondocker to step in, or smell after they've set up for the night.

Graywater tanks: I jammed in two 20 gallon graywater tanks on the driver's side, outboard of the frame, right next to the condenser unit. Very tight, one of the toughest jobs on a shuttle bus but allows the shower to be right up front instead of way back where there's lots of room behind the gas tank.

I like the other point about one way drain valves that simplify the plumbing, but I chickened out and did standard traps instead.

Welcome to the forum. What bus do you have? Show pictures. We'll all chip in with advice.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

I've got a 94 oshkosh city bus
I'm not sure how to post pics on here?
But I have one from the day I picked her up if someone can tell me
I looked up the 'hour shower' and I think it's within my skill set lol
HollowHaven92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHaven92 View Post
I'm not sure how to post pics on here?
I did a write up on how to do this a while back, hope that helps.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:18 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHaven92 View Post
So this might be a dumb question, but is it absolutely necessary to have a grey water tank?
I'd like to put a small basin in my shuttle bus for a shower but I don't have the space/clearance to mount a tank
I know dumping grey water is legal.. But am I going to run into issues just running a drain line?
In New Mexico dumping shower water on the ground is legal bu ut kitchen water must be contained.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
In boats, something like this is used. It’s nothing but a box with a bulge pump in it. Install it under your shower and pump water anywhere you want. Pumps are rated for how high they can pump water and gpm so take that into account.

Peace y’all
Attached Thumbnails
BAF90C4A-A936-44FB-B185-D2AF7068FA93.jpg  
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #32

Chassis: 3000SE
Engine: T444E International
Rated Cap: 77
When you are on private property you can abide by the owners rules. So long as those rules are legal. In public, I ask that you consider that you represent our community. Use good judgment when disposing of trash, waste (solids or liquids) or fluids. Nomads are being watched carefully by HOA'S, communities, corporations and park/land management personnel. BML ( Bureau of Land Management ) sites are restricting use during to behavior or perceived behavior by RV'S and campers. Corporations like Walmart and others are constantly reviewing their policies on overnight parking. Even if you are dumping what you consider to be safe, legal gray water, others may not be educated and are reporting that RVERS and nomadic adventurers are dumping illegally. We must represent our community as well as we can. I do not doubt your intention or intelligence.
maine4freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Happy this thread got back to more nuanced opinions.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
In boats, something like this is used. It’s nothing but a box with a bulge pump in it. Install it under your shower and pump water anywhere you want. Pumps are rated for how high they can pump water and gpm so take that into account.

Peace y’all
�� What I meant was TO A TANK anywhere in your rig!

☮️☮️
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:06 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
This is a great question, and important issue. A grey water tank serves more than one purpose in that having one, and doing things properly sets a standard.
It is common thought that grey water isn't harmful and can be dumped anywhere without any damage. Bacteria isn't visible, and can do great damage - which is why cleaning our fresh water tanks is important. Also, look at the use of filters to clean drinking + bathing water...they remove bacteria that is dangerous and not visible.
Pathogens are causing enough trouble for the world, having people dump their waste water anywhere won't improve the situation.
Draining grey water just anywhere is unkind and shortsighted. Take litter as a clear example of people thinking it's ok to just drop what they are done with.
The practice of draining grey water (not having a proper tank) will bring more negative attention and treatment to Skoolies as a whole.
Not installing a proper tank now will likely lead to larger challenges later. Being fined or pulled off the road for not having one are strong likelihoods.
Peace of mind is hugely valuable - it too is invisible.
I hope this is of service to you.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E-450
Engine: 6.8L V10
Rated Cap: 15
Grey Water Tank

Hello,

New to the forum. Just bought a 23' mini Turtle Top. The under carriage has tons of space. I plan to mount the fresh water tank and grey water tank between the H-chassis rail or behind the skirt.

Is this the normal way to do it? I saw a few just stored the tanks inside the bus.

Thanks.

Kin
Bodhisava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisava View Post
The under carriage has tons of space. I plan to mount the fresh water tank and grey water tank between the H-chassis rail or behind the skirt.

Is this the normal way to do it? I saw a few just stored the tanks inside the bus.
I mounted our grey tanks under the chassis rail, and later the black behind the skirt. Fresh I kept indoors.

Note that during winter months any exposed plumbing mounted outside/underneath can be subject to freezing. It is important thus to keep any runs of drain pipe under the floor as short as possible, and at a steep an angle as possible so that any water traveling down the drainage ends up in the tank frozen rather than in the pipes frozen.

With tanks you can add heat pads near the gate valves to thaw out and allow for the tanks to be emptied- whereas if a pipe freezes solid you'll have your sink/shower back up well before the tanks fill.

I would not recommend placing any fresh water infrastructure, be it tanks or piping, under the floor. Maybe an exception to that would be if the fresh water infrastructure was inside underbay storage that you could heat.

Even if you don't plan to use the bus in winter weather you will still need to winterize/empty all your tanks prior to a freeze, keep that in mind.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E-450
Engine: 6.8L V10
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I mounted our grey tanks under the chassis rail, and later the black behind the skirt. Fresh I kept indoors.

Note that during winter months any exposed plumbing mounted outside/underneath can be subject to freezing. It is important thus to keep any runs of drain pipe under the floor as short as possible, and at a steep an angle as possible so that any water traveling down the drainage ends up in the tank frozen rather than in the pipes frozen.

With tanks you can add heat pads near the gate valves to thaw out and allow for the tanks to be emptied- whereas if a pipe freezes solid you'll have your sink/shower back up well before the tanks fill.

I would not recommend placing any fresh water infrastructure, be it tanks or piping, under the floor. Maybe an exception to that would be if the fresh water infrastructure was inside underbay storage that you could heat.

Even if you don't plan to use the bus in winter weather you will still need to winterize/empty all your tanks prior to a freeze, keep that in mind.

Thanks.

I was going to start on the plumbing and then discovered that the alternator was bad and half of the windows leaked.
I had just finished replacing the alternator and is now tackling the leaky windows.

I really appreciate the info and I definitely will keep that in mind when planning for the plumbing.
Bodhisava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, shuttle bus conversion