Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Has anyone tried marine toilet system?

I’m at a stage building my bus, only on my head.

The simplest system is the plumbing yet I cannot decide what the optimal way to deal with human waste is. I never owned an RV, but more less familiar with boating environment where anywhere outside the boat can be used for dumping as long as no one is looking, and looking is difficult. I know no boat owner is dumb enough to store their waste inboard, no matter how fancy their toilet is and the city law prohibiting it.

I watched some real users’ video related to black holding tanks, and other gadget such as composting toilet. To me, composting toilet is just disgusting. Also, I wouldn’t make bus using traditional RV toilet system, as nothing is more discouraging than imagining living quarter smelling like Greyhound bus.

I’m thinking if I can place dump tank as far away as possible from toilet discharge outlets with some imaginary plumbing run and valves, it can minimize obnoxious ordor penetrating back to living quarters. I think it’s doable with built-in macerators, but is anyone having experience with such system in the bus?

kwang_yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
no experience with that type of toilet, however, I have a black water tank, mounted right below my toilet, it's not very often I get any smells even after 2 weeks, if the tank is vented, you can use odor control additive's, also a bit of extra water per flush for poops helps too. macerators work well and are used in high end motor homes that have 2 bath rooms, the thing is, when the get clogged, or break then what?, you have a mess to deal with, and from what I read on rv sites they break down often. I will be getting one to empty my tanks when I'm at home just easer. To me a straight drop to a holding tank is simple and no power needed, compost works, but its not for everyone .
gbstewart
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, I hear they fail quite often.

Some people say some brand of toilet is much better engineered and manufactured, but then some people will foam in the mouth to show their anger. I'm not sure why they fail as motor and blades are human made parts and its MTBF can be controlled and perhaps implement the backup system during design stage to yield absolute fail proof system.

I think you have broadened your tolerance to accept the RV toilet system where your waste is only few away from your nose all the time, but this is something I must resolve at all cost. I first smelled the thing when I first walked into greyhound bus in my childhood, and its signature is stamped into my brain, and never forget the moment I first boarded into greyhound bus. Commercial airplane implements similar system as boats with holding tanks, but everything depends on maintenance schedule per each carrier. I don't like to use plane's toilet room, and I do my best to stay away from it during my flight.

I don't have sensitive nose but I can smell every time I walk into any RV or a boat, especially when chemical additives are used.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I think Greyhound and the like usually have/had chemical type toilets.
They do stink bad.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think Greyhound and the like usually have/had chemical type toilets.
They do stink bad.
that's for sure they stink, but then again how often are they cleaned lol,
like I said, if you install and use any system, you normally don't have smells, you have to remember that a black tank is a temporary holding tank and not a septic system.
gbstewart
Old 01-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
that's for sure they stink, but then again how often are they cleaned lol,
like I said, if you install and use any system, you normally don't have smells, you have to remember that a black tank is a temporary holding tank and not a septic system.
gbstewart
Absolutely, agreed.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I am using a standard house hold toilet. Yes i have to empty it before hitting the road by turning off the water and flushing a few times
I was demoing a building and throwing 300 plus away and I needed one.
Never had a smell problem. But I dump my tank and flush the toilet last. If the bus set for a year or so and the trap in the toilet dried out then I could get a residual smell but there is not a single plumbing fixture that is made for not being used (rv,marine,commercial,residential) same old saying use em or lose em! The gaskets,o-rings, traps,seals dry out without use. So everybody listening get off your butts and exercise what you have created or you will have to work on it sooner than later. They make a grease for all of those little o-rings for the ones that don't exercise there equipment. Lube them up if your not going to use it for awhile. Sorry I ran off subject. I am happy with my ceramic toilet directly piped to my brown tank. I also added a tee and valve in my water supply to my toilet to be able to flush the tank through the drain vent. It requires someone to be inside but if your draining a weeks worth then you have time to walk in,flush a few times and turn on the power flush and before anyone ask? YES I have several check valves (backflow valves) for the set up that I created. Commercial pipefitter/welder,plumber by trade but NATSTER caught me on something I never thought of was a vent on the tank itself.
I did not want holes in my roof so I used (many names ) air admittance valves,island vents. With my setup I agree with NAT. The tank itself needs to breeth or the air in the tank is going to take up room in the tank. For an example a 55 gallon tank empty has air in you start dumping water in a sealed tank at some point the air pressure is going to limit that tanks holding capacity (because of the air pocket) depending on your system it could be by ? 10,15,20 gallons. I build buildings for a living and never thought about this in an RV camper?
Thanks NAT. Your the man
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1975
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208t/10 speed transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang_yi View Post
I’m at a stage building my bus, only on my head.

The simplest system is the plumbing yet I cannot decide what the optimal way to deal with human waste is. I never owned an RV, but more less familiar with boating environment where anywhere outside the boat can be used for dumping as long as no one is looking, and looking is difficult. I know no boat owner is dumb enough to store their waste inboard, no matter how fancy their toilet is and the city law prohibiting it.

I watched some real users’ video related to black holding tanks, and other gadget such as composting toilet. To me, composting toilet is just disgusting. Also, I wouldn’t make bus using traditional RV toilet system, as nothing is more discouraging than imagining living quarter smelling like Greyhound bus.

I’m thinking if I can place dump tank as far away as possible from toilet discharge outlets with some imaginary plumbing run and valves, it can minimize obnoxious ordor penetrating back to living quarters. I think it’s doable with built-in macerators, but is anyone having experience with such system in the bus?

Visit someone's nice conversion or RV before you make up your mind.
You may be surprised.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i seriously considered this

Tecma® Silence Standard | Products | Thetford

porcelain, macerater and bidet

Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Jolly Roger,

fascinating concept although it's challenging to visualize your setting from your description. I like the idea of using house toilet, simply because they're comfortable to sit, and 55 gallon waste tank?

Don't tell me you recycled 55 gallon food container drum. Since I do not physically own the bus, I have no way to tell those $10 plastic tank can be mounted next to chassis frame. If I can use those drums for black and grey holding tank, I could save some money. I've been testing few of those tank, let it be abused through harsh Midwest Winter and scorching Summer sun for years, they seem to hold well, not a single tanks have yet to burst nor created any cracks for leaks. Water level inside the tank has not receded, remains identical as when I poured few years ago. I'm least concerned with vibration stress, as I can apply some concept of dynamic dampening using cheap hardware I learned while working for aircraft manufacturer.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:38 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i seriously considered this

Tecma® Silence Standard | Products | Thetford

porcelain, macerater and bidet

bidet is one of my "must have" item. can't live without water, can't live without cleaning my rear end with fresh cool water.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:00 PM   #12
Bus Geek

The ultimate in toilets. IDK about mobile use, but cool nonetheless.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
We went with a 5 gallon bucket hidden within a nice wooden frame with a full size toilet seat. In the bucket you place a heavy duty garbage bag (black preferably) and some good quality cat litter or composting material. Then after you fill it up, remove the bag, twist tie it shut and dispose of it in a dumpster or bury it in a discreet location....simple and cheap..no water pipes, black water tanks or disposal tubes....
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
We went with a 5 gallon bucket hidden within a nice wooden frame with a full size toilet seat. In the bucket you place a heavy duty garbage bag (black preferably) and some good quality cat litter or composting material. Then after you fill it up, remove the bag, twist tie it shut and dispose of it in a dumpster or bury it in a discreet location....simple and cheap..no water pipes, black water tanks or disposal tubes....
got myself a ultra-cheap folding toilet, so compact and light must be weighting less than an ounce. The idea is to place a disposal bag (trash bag) after unfolding metal structure and dump, then discard the bag

Walmart sells new one for less than $10, but then I bought used for something like $3. This may come useful once in a while, if toilet breaks down, but sure don't need be smelling like a Greyhound bus. Money is not an issue, but the healthy living environment matters.

If I'm going to spend money to make my own, I may as well give my best effort, and truly make world's best toilet system in terms of sanitary and usefulness. Otherwise, I waste no effort, and buy undesirable toilet everyone seems to accept and make bus smelling like a greyhound bus.

One of the most difficult thing human can do is too look for different paradigm as we all been trained to accept. It doesn't have to be that way.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Yea, we're all pretty dumb here.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Yea, we're all pretty dumb here.
I think it's extremely unpleasing to read post of such sarcasm. There is no such thing as dumb people, some people have more exposure to different things, and I can't speak for you, but I'm here to learn and understand how it's doable, turning school bus into a living space.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

When you say things like this to me: "I think your head is pretty messed up, calling name.
I hear that human waste has all kinds of virus, and wondering if your brain hasn't been affect already.
You know doctors, especially those specialize in defective head, are everywhere in the US, why not take an advantage of it?"

How am I ever going to take anything you say seriously?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:12 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

my sincere apology to you. maybe I need to see the doctor.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Accepted, now let's get that bus and get to converting!!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
As always...what is "right" or "best" is wholly dependent upon the mission objective. As a case in point, Dredman is here at my studios in Houston in his Blue Bird. His mission was simple. Get out and on the road and tour America (for three years) as quickly as possible. That meant find a really solid unit and do the minimum to make it habitable for his purposes. And he has pulled it off in spades. Nothing too exotic, technical or fancy but extremely functional given his mission. He has excellent communications, a small bath & kitchen area, a queen sized bed, heating & cooling, water and places for his dog & motorcycle. And as an added bonus, he has discovered that his 2-panel solar system keeps his dorm fridge going pretty much around the clock.

Mission accomplished and very cool to my simple mind.

Could it have been done differently? Of course. Anyone with different expectations would have (hopefully) built to THEIR expectations which would have yielded a totally different design and product.

But "better"?...well...that's a whole different discussion.

Ride on Dred!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote