Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 03:08 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Holding tank advise requested

Wheel wells.... sink is on one side, toilet on the other. questions are many.

Can I plumb my sink waste into the black tank and just have one tank? if I did drain into the black tank I would have to run a very flat slope around the wheel well into where the black tank would go. if I can't do that, I would have 2 separate tanks like normal. but for draining because the wheel well is in the way, I would have to make 2 different drain valve set ups and drain them separately.

another huge question is how did you mount your tanks? I need ideas and detailed pics. pretty please.

Thinking of using channel struts like these along with long bolts, but I don't know. Just want to see what your ideas are.

Thanks! Cheers

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I've heard one downside of a combination grey/black water tank is the smell that emits from the sink/shower drains.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Wheel wells.... sink is on one side, toilet on the other. questions are many.

Can I plumb my sink waste into the black tank and just have one tank? if I did drain into the black tank I would have to run a very flat slope around the wheel well into where the black tank would go. if I can't do that, I would have 2 separate tanks like normal. but for draining because the wheel well is in the way, I would have to make 2 different drain valve set ups and drain them separately.

another huge question is how did you mount your tanks? I need ideas and detailed pics. pretty please.

Thinking of using channel struts like these along with long bolts, but I don't know. Just want to see what your ideas are.

Thanks! Cheers
I am considering the same problems with tank locations. The two separate drain valves would work but you would be handling a dirty line to transfer it to the grey tank, the advantage of a single drain is rinsing the hose with the grey
water. I am looking at the idea of locating the grey tank on the opposite side of the bus for better weight distribution and using a marine macerater pump at the grey tank discharge to transfer back to the single dump valve on the black tank. The pump should easily overcome running the line up over the frame or axle to the drain valve. The switch for the pump would be located at the drain valve.
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
P.S.
Nice looking bus
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
P.S.
Nice looking bus
It is ideal that there is 1 drain valve like you said for the gray water to flush out the drain hose after draining the black tank. since I would be draining at a dump station or somewhere with a running water supply, I could also install a blowout valve on the black tank to help rinse it. like this. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=rv+black+tank+flush&q id=1591649332&sr=8-2

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:04 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
you can do a single tank or build out 2 tanks.

2 ways to do a single tank.

1. put your tank under the toilet. for the hardware to fit, from the floor of the bus you'd have the toilet flange, then a sanitary t where you sink comes in, then the tank. that would give you 8" or so drop so that the sink drain has slope going around the wheel well. your tank top will be about a foot below the floor of the bus.

2. put your tank under the sink and get a macerator toilet. this is more expensive, but you grind the poop up and pump it where ever you want it. the toilet can drain horizontally out of the back of the toilet, up and over your wheel well and down into the tank.

i made my tank holder out of 2" angle iron. my waste tank sits fairly low, i mounted it to the bottom of my fuel tank. i have about a foot of clearance from the ground.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
you can do a single tank or build out 2 tanks.

2 ways to do a single tank.

1. put your tank under the toilet. for the hardware to fit, from the floor of the bus you'd have the toilet flange, then a sanitary t where you sink comes in, then the tank. that would give you 8" or so drop so that the sink drain has slope going around the wheel well. your tank top will be about a foot below the floor of the bus.

2. put your tank under the sink and get a macerator toilet. this is more expensive, but you grind the poop up and pump it where ever you want it. the toilet can drain horizontally out of the back of the toilet, up and over your wheel well and down into the tank.

i made my tank holder out of 2" angle iron. my waste tank sits fairly low, i mounted it to the bottom of my fuel tank. i have about a foot of clearance from the ground.
The macerator toilet is a good choice or else hold your breath whilst you move your stinky slinky from black to grey. Which isn’t as bad as you may think.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote