Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
How many hepvo valves would I need?

Been reading these threads, and everybody is happy with them. Just trying to figure out if I actually need 4 valves or not.

I will have a kitchen sink, bath sink, (possibly) a washing machine and then a shower. All in one line to a grey tank at the rear of the shower. Trying to lay everything out this weekend, I might use two grey tanks, one for the sinks and one for the washer and shower, on each side of the rear wheels.

Do I need a hepvo after each drain to keep odors out? Or if the two sinks drain together, maybe 6 or 7 foot apart, can I have one valve after the 2nd sink?

I think in reality it will be draining first from the washer (that sits on the wheel well) to the bath sink beside it, then the few feet to the kitchen sink and a grey tank under that.

Thanks for your replies.

JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
As long as the drainage from everything flows down and through the hepvo valve, you only need one valve. I'm planning to have the drain from my kitchen sink and the drain from my washing machine join with the tub drain directly underneath it, then through a hepvo valve and into the top of the gray tank. Although because of my tight geometry I may have to drain the sink and washing machine into the tub.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
As long as the drainage from everything flows down and through the hepvo valve, you only need one valve. I'm planning to have the drain from my kitchen sink and the drain from my washing machine join with the tub drain directly underneath it, then through a hepvo valve and into the top of the gray tank. Although because of my tight geometry I may have to drain the sink and washing machine into the tub.
I was thinking the same. Thanks for confirmation. They won't get here til the end of the month. I think I'll order two. Just in case.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I was thinking the same. Thanks for confirmation. They won't get here til the end of the month. I think I'll order two. Just in case.
I'm looking forward to seeing you set all this up. Hopefully if hepvo valves are a disaster you'll have your disaster first.

I guess in the south this isn't a concern, but I'm concerned with insulating this whole arrangement. I'll have basically a drainage tub coming horizontally from the bottom of my tub, through the hepvo valve to the gray tank, the whole thing maybe 3 or 4 feet long. I guess I can just wrap the tube and the valve in pipe insulation or something. Maybe this doesn't need to be insulated if everything runs free into the tank, but I would suppose there might be residual moisture trapped in the hepvo valve that could freeze and jam it up.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing you set all this up. Hopefully if hepvo valves are a disaster you'll have your disaster first.

I guess in the south this isn't a concern, but I'm concerned with insulating this whole arrangement. I'll have basically a drainage tub coming horizontally from the bottom of my tub, through the hepvo valve to the gray tank, the whole thing maybe 3 or 4 feet long. I guess I can just wrap the tube and the valve in pipe insulation or something. Maybe this doesn't need to be insulated if everything runs free into the tank, but I would suppose there might be residual moisture trapped in the hepvo valve that could freeze and jam it up.
I don't know much yet about how they work, and what water is left. But I do know two things; 1) my time in the south will actually be limited, but likely in the winter where we get to under 32F overnight twice a year, and 2) my time in cold weather will be maxed out at that. Freezing pipes are low on my concerns. I feel bad for you and anyone else who does winters.

Where are your sinks draining? I was researching this yesterday and saw you ask about draining them into your tub. Hopefully everybody talked you out of that? They joining below your tub I guess? I have no PVC but I'm hoping to go out today and lay it out with some string, get my slope and everything. Hung my grey water barrel up with strapping yesterday, just to keep it in place. Going to try my threaded rod idea, and maybe some unistrut.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Yeah, I'm planning to have the sink drain run down the wheel well, under the tub rim and around the side of the tub bottom, then down to join with the tub drain underneath. It's kind of complex geometry and it will be difficult to keep the drain hose between the tub and the outer insulation. If I can't fit it, I'll need to do something like running the drain hose for the sink into the inside of the tub, so the hose would go down into the drain rather than just dumping the sink contents into the tub.

Most likely a simpler solution will be to just position the tub an inch higher than I planned, which would be easy to do.