Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
I goofed up holding tank may be to small??

as i get closere to start to install the plumming, I started thinking that the black water tank that I have maybe to small? is 21 us gallons, I still have to get another thank for the grey water. I found a fresh water tank out off of classified adds (30gals) what do you think is 21 to small?, I do plan on boon docking, and for the most part it will only be 3 of us 2 adults 1 kid. I can get a 30 gal grey tank or any size I come across.

tks
gbstewart

Old 03-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: I goofed up holding tank may be to small??

black tank is for toilet only, grey for your shower, sink etc, so you should be okay
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=13
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/?pp=50&daysprune=30

Threads on Boondocking.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Lorna, I read that good stuff, tks, after more searching, I see that you are putting in a 25 gal black water with your bathroom sink plummed in?, Are you still doing it that way? and size? Im thinking the 21 gal tank I have will be ok for the most part, I dont want to drive around the country with 50 gals of black water.

tks
gbstewart
Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

We have 95 gallons fresh, 65 gallons gray, 35 gallons black.
2 adults can last comfortably 10 days with 2 loads in the washing machine and 4 showers.
John is correct, the more the better and the longer you can last before you have to dump/fill the better you're going to like it.
Jerry
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
Lorna, I read that good stuff, tks, after more searching, I see that you are putting in a 25 gal black water with your bathroom sink plummed in?, Are you still doing it that way? and size? Im thinking the 21 gal tank I have will be ok for the most part, I dont want to drive around the country with 50 gals of black water.

tks
gbstewart
Yes we are. You don't ride around with full tanks. We usually dump tanks before leaving the campground. We also dump tanks in rest areas and truck stops when they have dump stations. Since Pilot bought out Flying J, Flying J is supposed to be charging $5 to dump/take on fresh water but we didn't pay on the way back up from Corpus (we do have the RV card for collecting points... don't use it enough). $5 is a good price to pay to dump/fill. Many campgrounds charge more to do the same. But we did fill up the Class C (30 gal tank) and Stacey's Jeep (25 gal) with gas at the time. We also parked in their parking lot over night and ate supper/breakfast there. The waste tanks on the Class C are only 18 gallons each. That is really too small. Hard for the three of us to take one super fast shower each and not fill the grey tank. We can use the black tank for 2 to 3 days before NEEDING to dump (the RV toilet will "burp" when you flush if getting full because the downpipe extends into the black tank by about 6 inches or more... I forget, but I will ask David as he may remember). Our plan is to Wally-dock in parking lots for up to 2 days and then we pull into a (cheap) campground to spend the night and take on water/dump tanks. We don't get that good of a nights sleep in parking lots. We sleep okay but it's not a really restful sleep. Most of the time, we would be hitting our destination in 3 days or less of traveling. We won't have Stacey with us (she is staying in the Class C) so a 20 to 25 black tank should be fine. Not that much water is used in a bathroom sink. We are plumbing that way for convenience and to add just a little extra water to the black tank. Traveling on hot roads bakes the water out.

While in a campground on full hookups, we just "pull the valve" every 2 or 3 days (usually 3.. or when the toilet burps). I also dump if I know there is going to be rain. I don't want to have to go out in the rain to dump. We leave the grey tank valve open while parked on full hookups. Our sewer hose is cradled in a 10 ft PVC gutter that we bought from Lowes and cut in half (5 ft) so it will nest in side itself. We can adjust the length by sliding the top half farther out/in and we added a tiny screw on each side to secure it. It is supported on a decent slope by 2 sets of those crappy Lynx Levelers (I found a use for them because the Class C is too heavy for them). I try to dump the black tank just before one of us takes a shower or I wash dishes. It helps rinse the hose out which is a good thing in the winter since we do leave the grey open all the time.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12066-322-RW...&storeId=10151

Class C's sewer hose support:

More info is under each pic on Photobucket.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote