Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: MID BUS INC Chevy
Chassis: YY
Engine: 3500 Dieisel Express v8
Rated Cap: 26
Porta potti

We installed a porta potti by Thetford and bought the base to install it on the floor. Easy removed from the floor for winter and easy clean up no smell. Love it.

Works very well for us cheaper solution then many other choices. We really don’t need it as much as we thought even, and it’s great to have in the middle of the night.

Ravendancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Not sure why the toilets in buses are called composting... Packing poop in a plastic bag and mix it with other trash is not composting in the ordinary sense.. about as un- natural as it can get..litterbox would be an appropriate name.

Incinerating on a small scale cost energy because of the inefficiencies of the small systems.. with heat losses and imperfect combustion..

Black tanks are also energy inefficient... Traveling to a dump station.. and transferring the waste to a processing station and processing it on industrial scale..

To me there are only two elegant solutions.. you actual compost or you incinerate.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:18 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
So why isn't anyone talking about a propane incinerating toilet? I would never think about an electric one on a bus unless its permanently parked.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Incinolets eat power. Don’t forget the expenses of running that power loo. Generator and solar plus batteries and such will make a huge difference in the costs.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Yeah, 'composting' is totally incorrect, but it does work like composting in that you mix it with some material and let it sit, it just isn't really composting.
Human litter box is more accurate.

I don't see a problem to dispose of the litter, just like for a cat or diapers in a landfill, no real difference. But what if you are where there is no trash can?
My thought is use walnut shells or sawdust (not clay like a cat litter box) that is flammable, and burn the whole thing after a week as a dumpster fire, just don't do it in California and start a million acre wildfire please!
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markusbc View Post
I am in the phase of deciding which toilet to go with.

Black tank is a no go.

Composting maybe but i am not 100% convinced.

Which leaves me with incinerating toilets. So far i found Cinderallla, Eco John Tinyjohn.
Has anyone have one of the two installed in their bus? How do you like them, anything you wish you knew before pulling the trigger on a 5K toilet?

Hi, I will not be able to do the black tank either for several reasons. I have looked around and found a toilet that uses a design like a babies diaper pail. with a filler that rotates the material around when you push the button to close off that episode. I found it on Pinterest. I am very interested to know if many use this form? I have been looking and researching for quite a bit. I am also considering the incinerating toilet. I am not sure about lifting out the bags of debris and placing them into a dumpster. Still learning and no where near ready for a camper yet. Still healing. But, dreaming big!
nailtechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
When I was going far off grid for a bit I would bring spare 5 gallon buckets, I usually carried a few regardless. If my toilet was full and I had nowhere to put it I would just use a new bucket and cap the old one with the bag tied inside. They seal up tight until you're back in civilization. Ultimately it was usually water and waste tank space that forced me back on grid more than anything else, the toilet was never the limiting factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Yeah, 'composting' is totally incorrect, but it does work like composting in that you mix it with some material and let it sit, it just isn't really composting.
Human litter box is more accurate.

I don't see a problem to dispose of the litter, just like for a cat or diapers in a landfill, no real difference. But what if you are where there is no trash can?
My thought is use walnut shells or sawdust (not clay like a cat litter box) that is flammable, and burn the whole thing after a week as a dumpster fire, just don't do it in California and start a million acre wildfire please!
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #28

Year: 2002
Chassis: EXPG35
Engine: Diesel
Have you seen this option?
https://dry-flush.com/
hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:13 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Incinerating toilet: $5K
Nature's Head "composting" toilet: $1K
Poop in a bucket: priceless
Amen. The wife and I have been using this meathod for years. It was meant to be a temporary thing but it works so well that we never bothered with a black water tank. When on the road we use a kitchen bag in the pool bucket. Ball it up and toss it in the trash every few poops. It really helps to have a separate pee bucket. We have a nice full size toilet seat that sits on the bucket for comfort. Works just fine for us hillbillies. 5k for a toilet? I only have half that much in batteries, and I rate my electrical capacity at a premium. We haven't needed shore power in over a year.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote