Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2023, 01:28 PM   #1

Incinerating Toilet

Does anybody actually use an incinerating toilet? I know they are expensive but Im thinking it might be worth it for me so I want to know other peoples experiences with one. Thanks

HillbillyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
My brother has one at his cabin in northern MN....works great and only a little ash left when all is said and done. However, his is electric and takes about 2KW which is probably more than you want for a bus - unless its always plugged in to shore power. Additionally, it has a rather large footprint. Also, no mercy flush unless you like things to get a bit toasty down there...
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Webber makes one. Haha.

In a vehicle that is on the street I can only think of a couple situations where it would be an attractive option. Maybe Burning Man.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #4

Hahaha yes I call those courtesy flushes I never thought about that. I still want one anyway though, I wonder about a propane one.
HillbillyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:45 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Yes, but

Not practical, in my opinion for more than two people. I have only seen electric. The last one I bought was from a house boat. Paid $75. Looked new. Resold it to another skoolie owner.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Maybe Burning Man.
You mean Burning Poop?
Old 12-10-2023, 07:27 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
After seeing/using my brother's I would also have liked one, but understand that after you've done your business and it's time for the incinolet to do its, it can take an hour to reduce that steamer you left into a pile of ash...that's an hour at 2000w ... you will need a huge battery bank to run one of those if boon docking. Final thought - they cost $2800 to $3000 new ... a composting toilet is about $1100...or maybe only $50 (all in built out) if you go the Home Depot 5-gal bucket route
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:10 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I have an Incinolet (I think it's the TR model) which I'll be installing in my Crown. It is a 2000W element, but it's not on for the whole cycle. It uses about 1450kWh for a cycle, so that's about 60ah from a 24V battery bank. I'm designing that capacity into the system. I don't want to run a burn cycle for every pee, though, so I've planned for a bidet for that use and for cleaning. Note: Some bidets have a sprayer built in to the bottom of the bowl, which would not be sanitary to also use for urine. I'm going to put in the kind with a separate sprayer...essentially, it's a toilet bowl without a trap...and it's got a spray wand on a flexible hose. When I was in India, the signs called the wand a "health pipe" which made me chuckle.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 10:49 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
the way my ol lady farts in sure it would end up being a 13 alarm fire
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:34 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I have an Incinolet (I think it's the TR model) which I'll be installing in my Crown. It is a 2000W element, but it's not on for the whole cycle. It uses about 1450kWh for a cycle, so that's about 60ah from a 24V battery bank. I'm designing that capacity into the system. I don't want to run a burn cycle for every pee, though, so I've planned for a bidet for that use and for cleaning. Note: Some bidets have a sprayer built in to the bottom of the bowl, which would not be sanitary to also use for urine. I'm going to put in the kind with a separate sprayer...essentially, it's a toilet bowl without a trap...and it's got a spray wand on a flexible hose. When I was in India, the signs called the wand a "health pipe" which made me chuckle.
You can certainly do it, Likely will need a 3000W inverter to be on the safe side in case that item surges past a 2000W inverter capability. Anything with a heating element is going to be your biggest electricity usage by far. Stove/Range, Immolation toilet, electric heaters, Incandescent bulbs. Avoid them all like the plague IMO, especially for a bus application. Gas stove is best.

In my home (House), I got rid of the electric range, and saved $85 a month in electricity costs. (Wife cooks a lot) Switched to gas, and never looked back. Over the last 10 years, we've saved $10,200 in electricity costs for making that one move. On a bus which is already electricity constrained with how much it can generate, I think this is a terrible move to do.

When LED lighting first came out they were built better than they are today. Bulbs were designed to last 21 years. I'm 13 years in and my two children have never seen us replace a bulb in their life. Went from 45W's a bulb down to 7W's a bulb. Saved another $50 a month on the electric bill with that move. The bulbs were also more costly back then, I spent $850 on the bulbs to replace all in my house, but at $50 a month in electricity bill savings, it only took 17 months, nearly 1.5 years and the lights paid for themselves, and I've saved $6,900 in the 11.5 years remaining after paying for themselves in electricity costs.

Now granted, if you are solar'ing out your rig and your sole source of generating is from solar, it won't cost you much at all except up front costs for sizing up the system as Ross here is doing, but it still proves the point of how much electricity it's using, and if you are using shore power it's not much of an issue if your electricity is at a flat rate, though I'd hate to see that practice changed if everyone started using inceneration toilets upping the electricity costs RV/Skoolies use to where they start metering your electricity usage.

As for the functionality of the toilet, sure they work well, no complaints there.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:14 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
I bought a used incinerating toilet with a broken heating coil. Did some experiments with building an induction heater to get to higher efficiencies..also if you divert the urine you can save a lot of energy since that part has to evaporate. Poop itself burns after it is dried out... Interesting stuff.. there is a good bit of research

literature out there..

My experiments with dog poop images, unfortunately I could not post the smells are somewhere in my Dory threads.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:53 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '05
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466 HT
Rated Cap: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyNerd View Post
Does anybody actually use an incinerating toilet?
I know a guy in San Diego who installed one in a van he built for the sole purpose of turning a profit on it. Massive battery bank, dual alt charging, solar, and he ended up in a lawsuit because the van didn't function as expected with the toilet using so much power that he couldn't regain.
nocoasty is offline   Reply With Quote