Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
macerator pump

has anyone installed a macerator pump for dumping there holding tanks?
I'm going to get a portable one so I can dump my tanks at home, we do lots of boondocking and just a pain in the butt to go to the dump station.
gbstewart

Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
And while we're on the subject I to plan on installing a macerting pump and plan on a 112 gal fuel tank I got out of another bus my ouestion I have is will the pump draw from the tank in I plumb it from the origanal fuel port? it draws from the top of the tank with a tube that goes to the bottom of the tank
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
has anyone installed a macerator pump for dumping there holding tanks?
I'm going to get a portable one so I can dump my tanks at home, we do lots of boondocking and just a pain in the butt to go to the dump station.
gbstewart
I have been using one for about 10 years. The first one started leaking a little so I bought another one and a rebuild kit for the old one. We use it in the summer in the north and when we are on the road in the winter I use the 3" hose which is much much faster. At home we pump thru a 3/4" hose for 100' uphill about 5'. It works great. Just put the 3" fitting on the bottom of the tank and a fitting on the pump to fit on that. I have a 90 deg clear on the pump so the pump sticks out to the side.

Alwthrrider, I don't think a fuel tank will work well for a holding tank. In order to pump solids from a tank you have to have the hole on the bottom and it needs to be 3".
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell View Post
I have been using one for about 10 years. The first one started leaking a little so I bought another one and a rebuild kit for the old one. We use it in the summer in the north and when we are on the road in the winter I use the 3" hose which is much much faster. At home we pump thru a 3/4" hose for 100' uphill about 5'. It works great. Just put the 3" fitting on the bottom of the tank and a fitting on the pump to fit on that. I have a 90 deg clear on the pump so the pump sticks out to the side.

Alwthrrider, I don't think a fuel tank will work well for a holding tank. In order to pump solids from a tank you have to have the hole on the bottom and it needs to be 3".
I already have a mercerating toilet so there shouldn't be any solids to pump I'm using 1 tank for both grey & black
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
GB, I put one on my bus and it works just fine though a little loud. I've seen a couple that were run dry--they ate themselves up in short order. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell View Post

Do you have the type where you put it where your 3'' hose attaches , made by flow jet?
tks
gbstewart
Old 02-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
Do you have the type where you put it where your 3'' hose attaches , made by flow jet?
tks
gbstewart
Yes, and I don't know what I'd do without it.
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Thank you for all the info, and Jerry its sounds like I'm going with the flojet, thanks for the help
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
Bus Nut

http://steampunkworkshop.com/diy-rv-macerator-pump/

I use a Sewage Solution unit to discharge at home.
dond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

dond; I read up on the home made one very neat set up. I really like the sewer solution and I almost got one, the problem is I don't always have the water to run it, I like the ideal of no motors. With the flojet I can pump into my dads septic tank and not use his well water(well not so good), also where we are planning on staying at a friends camp I could dump right into his outhouse. There's benefits to both systems.Also the sewer solution is 1/2 the price.
gbstewart
Old 02-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

The impeller versions won't last long self priming up hill, the diaphram ones don't mind priming themselves and will last much longer if they are above the tank of yuck