Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
My homemade composting toilet idea

So, here's my idea for a tricked out homemade composting toilet with urine diverter funnel, then said pipe going to grey water tank and flushed via used hand washing water from sink, bidet attachment, and homemade squatting pad. *bashfully shows pictures*

it's not to scale or in position, but set to concept.
Whatcha think?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0433.jpg   DSCN0432.jpg  

DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
Skoolie

Hold on to that idea no matter how hard you get flamed here for it.

I have'nt quite figured out how the bucket will fit with the urine diverter in place, but it's early and maybe if I look again later, it will be more clear.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I would suggest that you include traps & vents on your waste lines. Otherwise stink from the gray tank will be a problem.

I mine, the urine diverter is above the bucket and the drain line runs down beside the bucket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kildwick-Kom...F5RUMMy7TxDjWA
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Hold on to that idea no matter how hard you get flamed here for it.

I have'nt quite figured out how the bucket will fit with the urine diverter in place, but it's early and maybe if I look again later, it will be more clear.
Aww, thanks so much!!! Why would I get flamed for it? lol
I figured once I start building it I'll be able to figure out a clever way to make the bucket and urine diverter and pipe fit. I figured I could cut into the bucket a little, no lower than the top of the fill line, to make space for the urine diverter within the top of the bucket, then the drain pipe would stand right in front of where the bucket sits. I think I'd set up a side door so I could pull the bucket out rather than up.

I mean, there's lots of ways I could configure this exactly, configuration isn't so important now until I have the bus and where I'm gonna put things and where I CAN with what's under the bus. For now, I wanted to ask yall if the concept was sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I would suggest that you include traps & vents on your waste lines. Otherwise stink from the gray tank will be a problem.

I mine, the urine diverter is above the bucket and the drain line runs down beside the bucket.
Thanks for that! I knew this mock up wasn't complete, I'll include traps and vents, I definitely want to avoid smells. And thanks for the link to a real urine diverter! I also found several funnels that are pretty big, but according to the voice of experience I might need a real diverter. The funnels I found that were cheaper were 8 inches in diameter. With the bidet attachment, a real diverter will probably be needed for correct use and not getting water in the compost.

In my concept for this toilet, I was trying to 'have it all': I've done lots of reading and a composting toilet seems like the cleanest way to deal with waste in a skoolie to me, but the urine diversion to the grey tank seems like a good way to deal with that rather than having to stealth dump everywhere. The bidet is supposed to be the most hygenic way of cleaning yourself, so I wanted to include that. But the urine diversion pipe should probably ideally be rinsed, so with the drain for the handwashing sink going to it, I thought that might help, while also saving clean water. Flushing a pipe with soapy water has to help! And it would also be further rinsed by the bidet. The final piece is a squatting pad, since apparently the way we sit when we poop kinks us up and makes it harder to 'go'. With the squatting platform, you poop better and wipe less, according to popular opinion.

So my concept was to create the ultimate green toilet! Poop healthy, wipe healthy, rinse pipes with water used to hygienically wash hands, further cleaning them with soap. Bing bang boom. Even the Prince would be impressed, surely?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Also check out/Google "waterless urinal cartridge" or variations on that. They are small (~1" dia x 1" long) thingies that drop into a receptacle and act as a trap, letting water-based stuff through and keeping gases from backflowing. Sort of a magic pee filter. I think I'm going to try to incorporate one of those when I build a composting toilet.

If you've ever seen a wall of urinals in a rest stop on the turnpike that you can't flush, that's what's going on.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Awesome idea, I'll check that out! You're making me think of the urinal cake guy in Joe's Apartment:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaverBus View Post
Awesome idea, I'll check that out! You're making me think of the urinal cake guy in Joe's Apartment:
Wow, with an opening line like that, I had to follow the link! That one can't be unseen, eh? I certainly hope that's not how you think of me.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Wow, with an opening line like that, I had to follow the link! That one can't be unseen, eh? I certainly hope that's not how you think of me.
No No! Just the urinal cake thing!
Incidentally, I watched the movie on Putlocker last night and quite enjoyed the 90's throwback. It's a good movie, great romantic comedy, such as only the 90's could give us.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Incidentally, I watched the movie on Putlocker last night and quite enjoyed the 90's throwback.
I'll have to look into this Putlocker you mention. The crazy, inconsistent, s**t-for-brains security firewall here at work won't let me into it.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'll have to look into this Putlocker you mention. The crazy, inconsistent, s**t-for-brains security firewall here at work won't let me into it.
Have you tried looking for a backdoor proxy? We did it all the time in high school because they blocked youtube. Cleared out history and all every time.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Have you tried looking for a backdoor proxy? We did it all the time in high school because they blocked youtube. Cleared out history and all every time.
Not worth my job to find out if that works.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Not worth my job to find out if that works.
Fair enough!