Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Opinion on venting grey tank.

Hopefully pics speak for themselves. I don't want to vent out the roof so i would lile to vent out the side. I don't see a problem with this set up but I'd like to hear some opinions. This is for the grey water tank. I can add more details when i get to my laptop. This is the drain set up i was planning for the kitchen sink. This will be the only thing draining into the grey water tank.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_141202.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	44745Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_141228.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	44746Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_141302.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	44747Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_141306.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	44748

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I’m not an expert—however I don’t see any issues with this set up and I think it would work fine.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Seems like it would work fine, but it might get stanky and being right under the window you might smell it.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Bus Nut

True, it might stink, but i can treat the water as well. For the black tank, i will have the room to vent out the roof. Definitely don't wanna smell that!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Old 05-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
True, it might stink, but i can treat the water as well. For the black tank, i will have the room to vent out the roof. Definitely don't wanna smell that!
It might not stank too, I just don't know. Our composting terlet vents out the side of the bus and we rarely notice it.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
The only thing I see is that your sink drain looks like it's higher than the tank vent. That might pose a problem, but I don't know what. I don't want to cut holes in my roof either so I'm planning on venting out the wall with one of these, only I will go as high on the wall as possible, with a 21" roof raise, that should be about 9' off the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R5LND0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZCHCCS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I prefer the stainless, but everything else on my bus will be black, so probably go with the plastic one.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Stinky stinky
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
We side vent the composting toilet and grey tanks with the same line. Toilet goes through floor into Tee, which comes from greys and goes out the wall just under the floor.
Click image for larger version

Name:	side_venting_40%.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	44769

I take coolant hose to the roof- easier to work with. Its not final as I need to attach a vent cap to it (probably once I put the wind guards for the panels up) but the idea is all there. I get to the roof without going out the ceiling.

With the toilet fan going vinegar vapor makes it all the way up there. You probably don't want the stink right at eye level.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:04 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Hopefully pics speak for themselves. I don't want to vent out the roof so i would lile to vent out the side. I don't see a problem with this set up but I'd like to hear some opinions. This is for the grey water tank. I can add more details when i get to my laptop. This is the drain set up i was planning for the kitchen sink. This will be the only thing draining into the grey water tank.Attachment 44745Attachment 44746Attachment 44747Attachment 44748
It may work,it may work just ok or not at all depending on wind, atmospheric pressure, the orientation you park the bus, etc.
You need to think of vents like wood stove chimney's, in order to get the best performance they need to be completely above the structure to get the best draw. On the side of the bus that's not going to happen.
Just saying if it was mine I'd find a way to get it to the roof.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Just saying if it was mine I'd find a way to get it to the roof.

If the side approach worked, tens of thousands of RV's would be done this way since it would save the manufacturer a few pennies.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
The only thing I see is that your sink drain looks like it's higher than the tank vent. That might pose a problem, but I don't know what. I don't want to cut holes in my roof either so I'm planning on venting out the wall with one of these, only I will go as high on the wall as possible, with a 21" roof raise, that should be about 9' off the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006R5LND0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZCHCCS...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I prefer the stainless, but everything else on my bus will be black, so probably go with the plastic one.
I would put the vent as high as I could. Still exploring options. Thanks
Old 06-03-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1954
Coachwork: crown
Engine: 220 cummins turbo
Quote:
I have always found the smell of grey to be worse then the black
50 crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 crown View Post
I have always found the smell of grey to be worse then the black
Eww. You get that smell Stuck in your nostrils and It stays for a long time
Old 06-03-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 crown View Post
I have always found the smell grey to be worse then the black
My grey has never smelled worse than the black.

Quote:
Can you tie the grey vent into the black vent under the bus, then vent it out the roof? Lots of RV's are that way so there is only one extra hole in the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post

If the side approach worked, tens of thousands of RV's would be done this way since it would save the manufacturer a few pennies.
My pop-up trailer has the grey vent out the side, black out the top. I have never noticed any smell coming from either, top up or down.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
My grey has never smelled worse than the black.

Can you tie the grey vent into the black vent under the bus, then vent it out the roof? Lots of RV's are that way so there is only one extra hole in the roof.

My pop-up trailer has the grey vent out the side, black out the top. I have never noticed any smell coming from either, top up or down.
You can tie The vents together, but I’d recommend doing so while mainting adequate slope so rain cannot block the vent and cause the tanks to burp Through the p traps or toilet flap
Attached Thumbnails
39E54507-7FAF-47DE-AC2A-B9DD90C987BF.jpeg  
Old 06-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: TBD
Coachwork: Tbd
Chassis: Tbd
Venting

The only problem I see is that most venting is set up to utilize air movement over the stack to set up a small suction through the pipe via a venturi effect no matter how seemingly small. With the stack on the roof air movement is guaranteed but on the sidewall you will have dead air at times and even a reverse effect if you have wind blowing from the direction your vent is on while parked. JDONTHEGO has a valid observation, if it was feasible the industry would do this as a whole. Also, you risk tearing it off on something somehow no matter how minuscule the odds and it is a great vandalism target. just my humble opinion
Musicforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Plumb it like an island

You have a couple options if you don't want to go through the wall there and can't take it directly up to the roof. Plumb it like an island sink!

The easier method would be to add an Air Admittance Valve at the sink (one-way "vent"), then put a normal vent stack somewhere else in the bus that does go up through the roof.

Another way would be an actual "island vent": Run you vent line under the floor (above your drain line), then through the roof at a more convenient location.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/kitch...n-island-sink/
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
rv plumbing vents are over rated. you can down size your pipe to squeeze it up higher up the wall. try 3/4 pex. use an air admitance under your sink, and run a 3/4" pex line from your tank to above your windows as much as possible.

in residential plumbing, you have to move a fairly large slug of water (a toilet flush) without sucking the p-traps dry. with rv's, the toilet is a straight drop self venting setup, hepvo waterless traps are self venting, so the vent ends up being more for gas exchange with atmosphere for the tank.

i disagree with the earlier comparisons with a chimney, we don't need to create active drafting (ever use a porti potti?) the dump tank just needs to be open to atmosphere pressure, before you flush that toilet.

i used 1/2 pex and put the vent thru the side at the ridge line of my bus, i didn't want to go thru the roof either. my vent is as high up and far away from people as possible. i've never had an issue.

all tanks stink, if you smell it, its time to dump.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
rv plumbing vents are over rated. you can down size your pipe to squeeze it up higher up the wall. try 3/4 pex. use an air admitance under your sink, and run a 3/4" pex line from your tank to above your windows as much as possible.

in residential plumbing, you have to move a fairly large slug of water (a toilet flush) without sucking the p-traps dry. with rv's, the toilet is a straight drop self venting setup, hepvo waterless traps are self venting, so the vent ends up being more for gas exchange with atmosphere for the tank.

i disagree with the earlier comparisons with a chimney, we don't need to create active drafting (ever use a porti potti?) the dump tank just needs to be open to atmosphere pressure, before you flush that toilet.

i used 1/2 pex and put the vent thru the side at the ridge line of my bus, i didn't want to go thru the roof either. my vent is as high up and far away from people as possible. i've never had an issue.

all tanks stink, if you smell it, its time to dump.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	45406
Looks like a vent to me
Just sayin!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Attachment 45406
Looks like a vent to me
Just sayin!
oh its a vent. a big drafty one that you feel on your backside when you sit down.

i don't feel the need for that kind of positive ventilation for my personal bathroom especially when i have plumbing.

a tank is going to stink. the higher up we launch that smell, the less often we come in contact with it.