Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
PEX fitting types: Which are best?

Forget about price, availability, or tools required. All other issues aside, what would be the absolute best type of fittings (expansion, compression, push-to-fit, etc) to use with PEX in RV plumbing applications? Which would produce the highest level of reliability & longevity, and the lowest chance of leaks or failure?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I tried to use only the brass barb fittings. Not sure if I used any of the plastic/vinyl ones or not. Bought in quantity packs they aren't that much more expensive for the piece of mind. The only difference in tool is what crimp fitting you use. I use the pinch clamps and am okay with them. I think no matter which way you go, they will work. My only concern would be plastic ones that have water in them that might freeze.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
So far, the "sharkbite" fittings appear to have good reliability but for a vehicle that is likely to have it's water lines frozen at some point I'd go with the brass crimp fittings. You can buy an inexpensive crimp tool and the crimp fittings are way cheaper than the push-on fittings.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
There are 2 types of crimp rings, solid and the silver crimp style. The tool for the silver ring is much cheaper than than the solid ring crimp tool. Both will exceed requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
516IV80flML._SX425_.jpg   s-l500 (6).jpg  
Old 01-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Rated Cap: 19
I use the solid type rings. They just look less likely to fail. I bought this inexpensive crimp tool:

https://www.pexuniverse.com/sioux-ch...ool-305-100pk1

No matter which way you go, make your connections somewhere that you can get at them later if repair is needed.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:59 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
I don't know. I use the barbed brass fittings with the compressed ring because they're cheaper, but I use Sharkbites if I don't want to restrict the water flow through the fittings. Buy a proper tubing cutter whatever you do, and a good crimper for whatever ring fittings you use.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the fittings on the top that marc showed are the same ones used on A/C lines like the Burgaflex type. and they dont leak even under high pressure of A/C refrigerant..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Muchisimas gracias mis amigos! Crimp it is.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I don't have any statistics to say which approach is the best given the stated criteria. That said, I used the solid ring crimp style PEX (and mostly brass connectors). I am happy with them after nearly three years of full time use (including a few freezes). There are often a few places where crimping is mighty difficult or impossible. In those places, I used a press-on style and they seem to work just fine as well.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:45 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Goshen Coach
Either crimping ring works great when properly used. Watch a few YouTube videos and keep the crimp ring where it should be on the fitting.
From my experience with well water in the southern U.S., I find the brass develops needle-sized holes after 8-10 years. My brother is having to replace all his down stairs brass connections after 4 started to leak due to pin hole corrosion. My concern with the plastic is a HARD freeze and cracking. It is not a big issue along the coast. I live in New Orleans and will use plastic fittings when building my house. Usually the Pex expands & may leak by a fitting when it freezes, but it tends to contract & reseal after it warms.
NOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #11
Almost There

Propex are best for mobile applications but the tool to install them is expensive. They actually bind better over time and accept some movement.

With any pex fitting you should have a heat gun and warm the connection before clamping especially in mobile applications if your in a cool enviroment and use quality pex pipe Pex A.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:58 AM   #12

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Reading quite a bit about pex and currently using 1/2" pex with ring crimp connectors. From everyone here, what is your water flow/pressure like? Any issues? How many 90 degree connectors and T fittings did you use on your water line runs? I'm worried about flow rate dropping due to all of the fittings used in my installation. Can't find a decent pex flow rate calculator anywhere?? TIA
makaufmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
Bus Nut

I also was worried about flow being affected by all the fittings/angles (I'm using crimp style Sharkbite 1/2" fittings). So I used gradual curves instead of 90 degree fittings where i could (mainly under the floor). The PEX does bend okay, I'd say probably about a 8" radius turn, at the expense of having more tubing. But I think that's okay.

I did have to put a 90 degree elbow in where I had one of these "gradual curves" because it was pulling on my water heater. The pressure isn't that great, but whatever, it's a skoolie.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote