Old 05-05-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Planning my gray and black tank placement

Next week we are picking up our 2005 IC CE300 71 passenger bus but I'm trying to plan where my will be and how they'll be plumbed.

I want to plan on having my dump valves on the driver's side in front or behind the back wheel. We are thinking about installing the kitchen sink, shower, and gray tank on the driver's side.

I would like to put the toilet on the right side (passenger) ahead of the rear wheel well but I'm wondering if its even possible to cross ABS pipe over to the driver's side? It seems like there will be a lot of frame, driveshaft and exhaust in the way. I was thinking having the toilet and black tank on that side would bring some weight over there to improve balance. I'm trying to avoid having the black and gray on one side. Would that even matter?

I would like to have both the black and gray meet at one point but I'm trying to picture how I can do this. I only have pictures of the underside but I'm trying to avoid having the valves separate requiring me to remove the hose for dumping.

There will be a garage in the back with the bed in the back so everything else has to be forward from that point.

Thanks.
Mr. Goodkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
With the exception of the very back, there is little chance of crossing the chassis with a drain. I don’t know your bus, so maybe it could happen, but it’s unlikely. What you might be able to do is bring the drains to the back and then cross over to the drivers side.

Id put the grey and black on the drivers side anyway. The grey tank is the one that fills up the fastest , so having the black tank on the same side isn’t going to make much of a difference.

I’d put all the plumbing except the fresh tank on the drivers side.

You’ll need a vent for both tanks. They can wye together before they exit the roof. Its a good idea to make a 2x4 wall to pass the vent through unless you will do it in the garage. Depending on how you want to handle windows and possible window deletes as well as what’s on the roof will influence where the 2x4 wall should be. If you want skinny walls to avoid lapping a window, put the 2x4 wall parallel to the outer walls. It’s important to not have flat lateral runs for the vent though, since it could fill with water and not be able to vent.

Join the drains together and have valves next to each other at the outlet. This way, you can empty the black tank first and rinse your stinky slinky with the grey afterwards.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodkat View Post
Next week we are picking up our 2005 IC CE300 71 passenger bus but I'm trying to plan where my will be and how they'll be plumbed.

I want to plan on having my dump valves on the driver's side in front or behind the back wheel. We are thinking about installing the kitchen sink, shower, and gray tank on the driver's side.

I would like to put the toilet on the right side (passenger) ahead of the rear wheel well but I'm wondering if its even possible to cross ABS pipe over to the driver's side? It seems like there will be a lot of frame, driveshaft and exhaust in the way. I was thinking having the toilet and black tank on that side would bring some weight over there to improve balance. I'm trying to avoid having the black and gray on one side. Would that even matter?

I would like to have both the black and gray meet at one point but I'm trying to picture how I can do this. I only have pictures of the underside but I'm trying to avoid having the valves separate requiring me to remove the hose for dumping.

There will be a garage in the back with the bed in the back so everything else has to be forward from that point.

Thanks.
I am quickly getting to that stage as well. I will post what I have done as soon as my fresh water tank comes in. There is a flexible PVC conduit that can be used. it glues up just like hard white PVC. Danjo is correct on the lateral runs for vents. Keep the pipe going vertical.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Join the drains together and have valves next to each other at the outlet. This way, you can empty the black tank first and rinse your stinky slinky with the grey afterwards.
Stinky Slinky! That is so hilarious! But it's absolutely true. 40 gallons of grey water will definitely clean the black out of the hose.

I'm using the grey and black tanks from an old motor home. They are long and shallow, probably not more than 8" tall, but a good 7' long. Putting them perpendicular to the walls of the bus will allow for the weight to be evenly distributed across the width. Same with my 75 gal fresh tank. The grey and black sit side by side and are plumbed together at the outlet with a valve for each tank. I do have pass thru underbelly storage so adding tanks is simple.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the responses. Within the past 5 years we had an Rpod and a Class A motorhome and they both had the gray and black come into one collection point and it was definitely nice dumping the gray last. It really wasn't such a dirty smelly task really.

I was going to plumb the septic, the sink and shower with ABS pipe from the local Mendards and just use white PVC for the black and gray tank vents. Vents run up and drains run down for sure.

I'm trying to avoid any long lengths of horizontal ABS or PVS drains because our Class A motorhome had to go in twice because plumbing for the kitchen sink had cracked. Finally I asked if they could put a rubber joint or union in the in the drain run somewhere to give it some flex and we didn't have a problem after that. I may do the same in skoolie. My theory was that there was longitudinal twist in the chassis and body causing the long length of ABS pipe to twist causing it to crack. Of course I could be wrong. It looked like a royal pain to get to the plumbing so my goal is to make most if not all of my wiring and plumbing easy to get to.

Does the toilet have to sit directly above the black tank or can it have a short run of pipe running to the black tank provided it flows down hill? It would sure help for the layout if it doesn't have to.

Thanks again guys
Old 05-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Here are some picks that were given to me at my request before the purchase and I just don't see where crossing over underneath the frame before or even after the rear wheels is possible. It's pretty clean I think and I plan on de-greasing, scrubbing and washing the underside before I do any work under it. If I can get it clean enough I might even spray the underside with POR15 with my paint sprayer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200429_114735.jpg (207.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20200429_114743.jpg (176.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20200429_114726.jpg (138.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20200429_114712.jpg (183.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
I just finished my own plumbing. Like you I found it much easier to run it all on one side. Passenger side, too, because my exhaust is in the way on the driver's side.

Grey tank is rear of the bus, so I can attach a hose and walk it around the back to empty it at a campground.

From about the middle of the bus, I have kitchen sink, bath sink, then a bucket toilet and washer on the rear wheel well, and shower rear of that. Drains all join under the shower and then to the grey tank just past that. Came out nice and simple.

I still have a lot of room for a black tank under the toilet too if I choose that route.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

The toilet should be directly above. If not you’ll need a macerator model and then you could put it almost anywhere.

You can probably get away with dips in the drain for the kitchen sink if you have to and use spa hose, but we had a fleetwood with a bathroom on the passenger side and the plumbing was always a problem on that thing
Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Yes, reverse the layout and put the toilet over the black tank and the kitchen on the other side. The drain from the kitchen sink is a whole lot easier to route across than the poop pipe.

You can also install a separate grey tank for the kitchen on that side and use the dump hose to get across the bus when draining. That would also allow you to recirculate the shower water from the other grey tank under the shower.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 AM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
You may find a use for this. I think there might be enough room above the frame to run a pipe over to the grey tank on the drivers side using this. I have a rear engine with pass through storage, didn't realize how much space that saves not having driveline, exhaust and fuel tank in the way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KEUQVGS...v_ov_lig_dp_it
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks again for all of the responses everyone. I think the wife and I just thought of a layout last night that will put the toilet, sink and shower on the driver's side of the bus between the wheel well and driver's seat. I should be able to put both tanks under the bus directly under all of those avoiding the need to cut across the underside or run plumbing to the back of the bus.

A week from now we'll be getting home with the bus and it'll be much easier to visualize and plan. We're so excited!
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #12

Hi,
IMO, you wound want to place both waste tanks forward or directly below P-trap to prevent waste water move out of tank and flow back in case of sudden brakes apply.

I could be wrong, too .

EV-
envy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy23 View Post
Hi,
IMO, you wound want to place both waste tanks forward or directly below P-trap to prevent waste water move out of tank and flow back in case of sudden brakes apply.

I could be wrong, too .

EV-
We used to have this problem in one of our RVs that had a wet bath. When we would fill up the grey tank it would sometimes back up into the show pan. Gross.