Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

Plumbing Fixtures

We are in early stages of the build process and I wanted to get thoughts on using residential plumbing fixtures(shower head, faucets, etc) in a skoolie. How do they hold up over time compared to regular RV fixtures?

Harriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Harriman,

I used all residential fixtures in my first bus. I have owned and borrowed several factory RVs.

The residential fixtures in my bus were of higher quality and lasted just fine in the bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
RV stuff, for the most part, are made of cheap plastic, residential is likely to be better and hold up longer. Or you could just make your own. I prefer shutoffs, with a rubber seal, that screw down to a stop. I don't like the cartridge type, besides, they are way more expensive. This is usually the second thing people comment on when in for a tour of the bus. Always positive.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #4

Thank you for your help. It makes the decision easier.
Harriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Every typical RV shower just looks cheap and crappy to me. Too much plastic, yuk. I really don't understand why the RV makers think that it's OK to put that stuff into their RVs when they wouldn't tolerate it for one minute in their own house.

I'm building my shower now, and I've bought the Delta Vero shower set in brushed stainless steel. It seems nice quality, looks good, should last a long time, and spare parts are only as far away as the nearest Home Despot or Lowes. Along with a frameless glass bifold door, the shower will (I hope!) look as nice as any in a house. No plastic junk for me!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
RV stuff, for the most part, are made of cheap plastic, residential is likely to be better and hold up longer. Or you could just make your own. I prefer shutoffs, with a rubber seal, that screw down to a stop. I don't like the cartridge type, besides, they are way more expensive. This is usually the second thing people comment on when in for a tour of the bus. Always positive.

Wow.....too cool.

Not to be an a**hole or anything, but I am going to blatantly steal that idea, with no remorse whatsoever about ripping you off or not paying a royalty.

I will, however, give you a credit in the liner notes.

And if that's the second thing people comment on, I'd like to see number 1, please.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote