Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2024, 11:07 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Potty training & composting

What I have seen about composting toliets, you need to keep liquid seperate from solids. Does anyone have a solution for a tankless toliet for potty training aged children?

2&18 Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 12:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Our kids did initial potty training on a little plastic toilet that was their size. It has a removable inner "bucket" that we'd carefully pour the #1 and #2 into the appropriate areas of the adult sized composting toilet. It's a gross job, but infinitely better than diapers. Once they got the hang of things and grew a little, they moved up to the composting toilet pretty easily.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 01:01 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Kid Sized Diverter/Separator

It's possible to buy children's compost toilet seats that are better size-wise and ensure a more effective separation of fluids from solids. The kid seats usually fit on top of an adult seat.

You could also build a dedicated a kid sized unit. Smaller hole, smaller seat, & a step.

Even some adults need to train themselfs into using a composting toilet. After building ours, we found ourselves too "butt-shy" to use it, until it sat next to our spare commode for a few days.

We all use it on the bus now. Grandkids (3 & up) use it, too.

If you search the net, you'll find kid sized urine diverters and separators. They're more popular outside of North America, but most vendors ship to to the US.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 01:05 AM   #4
Skoolie

One guy was in the same situation when he built his composting toilet. His daughter needed a shorter toilet and one which would drain the liquid waste into the grey water tank. He added onto his adult-size toilet—which he built from wood and even made lids to close as well as a compartment for sawdust. The smaller potty size had a small step up and the lid on top had a painting of a little kid going pee on a toilet that looked like the one he built. It was a pretty cute potty. And since they didn’t want the child to poo in with the liquids, I think that side had a plastic bowl-shaped catcher for solids, while the front had the regular diverter for liquids which was connected on a downward slope to the liquid piping leading to the grey water tank. Pretty clever guy.
tguy1241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 01:07 AM   #5
Skoolie

“Butt shy”?? That’s so sweet!! ��
Old 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM   #6
Skoolie

I like that pink!
Old 07-06-2024, 03:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: LXI43 slide
Engine: series 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2&18 Rider View Post
What I have seen about composting toliets, you need to keep liquid seperate from solids. Does anyone have a solution for a tankless toliet for potty training aged children?
why do schoolie people always like a composting toilet?
randydupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 05:04 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Ladies have a long walk to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post
------------------------------

Our skoolie never leaves our farm and it's parked over 1000 feet away from the nearest commode. Long way for #1.

(look close, you can see the bus roof, RV to the left)

Men & boys can pick any tree they choose but the ladies & girls prefer a clean seat, paper & privacy. I'm the only person to have gone #2 here.

We have 20 acres complete with horses, pigs, turkeys, and chickens. All of which produce manure, which we collect, compost & use to grow a wide variety of ornaments & feedstock. Our house and barn have four standard toilets, all plumbed to septic tanks, so except for me, the composter is used infrequently.

I have a variety of composting bins, mushroom log stacks, worm bins and charcoal piles around the property. No waste goes to waste. Since I am actually composting the waste (usually pouring a cup of pee onto an Oak tree) not pooing into plastic bags and trashing them. I prefer composting toilets over (drive to the dump) tanks.

I also own two fully equipt RVs. One of which is parked next to the bus. The RV commode is strictly off limits. I prefer that no mixed (urine & manure) waste tanks are accidentally or incidentally dumped onto my land. I have two wells underneath the sand and drink from them both.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 06:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I don't "like" the idea but after being a full timer in RV I rather not risk issues of major plumbing lines. My goal is to only have a simple sink for easy water access but no tanks at all. Will use RV park showers, but at 2 am when I have a kid that needs to go, I don't want to have to wake up all 5 to cry our way through the park to the facilities
Old 07-06-2024, 07:49 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post

Speaking just for myself, our rig is more for glorified camping than full-timing. So a few weekend events a year, maybe a week straight once or twice a year, and that's it. Figuring if kitty litter is good enough for the pussy, then it's good enough for me and the missus.

Especially as it also mean not dealing with blackwater and associated plumbing. However, what we do have in spades is potable water with which to shower, so just a graywater tank! That I can dump at home in the yard.

So in answer to your question, simplicity. Works for me and others, too.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 10:04 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
On Board Potty Training. Warning (Potty Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2&18 Rider View Post
What I have seen about composting toilets, you need to keep liquid separate from solids. Does anyone have a solution for a tankless toilet for potty training aged children?
Ruth and I have been living in off grid situations on and off since the eighties, a boxtruck (2016-2017) and, school busses since 2017. We have run the gamut of ways to poop and pee without a lot of muss and fuss.

Let me clarify something about so called composting toilets. They don't really compost. Your solid waste, (number 2) gets mixed with a drying agent, such as peat moss, coconut husk, or sawdust among other things. This does a good job of reducing the smell. Keeping your urine out of the poop dust really helps to keep really stinky stuff from forming. But now you have a pee tank or bottle to empty pretty often.

Now, if you were to take the poop dust from your "composting" toilet and add it to your compost heap, then you might achieve composting.

So, lets just say a couple of hillbillies, who migrated to New Mexico, weren't all that keen on needing to feel good about being green, and just wanted to handle the daily business of human waste in a way that wasn't terrible. That's where the bucket method comes in.

We fashioned a toilet seat to sit on top of a regular 5 gallon bucket. When you are done doing the deed, simply lift the seat off and put the lid back on. This method can be done with a kitchen bag in the bucket or without. Keep in mind there is a little cleanup if, you chose to save money on kitchen bags. However, once you employ the "magic material" the cleanup is not tough, stinky, or entirely gross.

With the bag method there is no cleanup. Just tie the bag and throw it away.

Well, you may ask, "what about the pee?" That's the wonderful thing about the magic material, it absorbs a great deal of moisture from the pee, and the poop. What you are left with is a bucket full of something like damp sawdust, that smells like damp sawdust.

What is this magic material? Softwood fuel pellets that you can buy for about $6.00/40Lb at any hardware, tractor supply, or big box home improvement store.

The first time we tried it, we were completely astounded. One bucket, both solid waste and liquid, resulted in a bucket full of damp sawdust, minus the gross smell and other ookey messes, that come with making your mess. It's a real win for grownups. So, now how would you apply this to potty training?

You can just use your regular potty training chair and then dump the contents of the catch, into your magic bucket and let the fuel pellets do the rest. Perhaps sprinkle a few pellets on top of the new addition.

How we do it:
  • Start with a clean 5 gallon bucket. Put a light covering of pellets on the bottom.
  • Do your business.
  • Check to see if you want to sprinkle a few more pellets on your business.
    *Be advised. The pellets absorb a lot, even out of your poopies, so they expand, a lot.
  • Throw the bag away or empty and clean the bucket before your business is groping your butt.

We hope you find this entertaining and helpful,
Rock-N-Ruth
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 10:23 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
. . . What is this magic material? Softwood fuel pellets that you can buy for about $6.00/40Lb at any hardware, tractor supply, or big box home improvement store . . .

The value of this site is immense. Kitty litter works fine, but I gotta try this.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 02:02 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Amazing info thank you

Tags
#potty training