Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #21
Skoolie

My U-RV is plumbed for higher pressure. I did it all in CPVC. I ran 3/4 main lines. Mine has been tested to over 100PSI.
For higher pressures you can NOT use RV plumbing parts. Shower valves, sink valves, any of it.
on mine i did install a pressure regulator before the RV Toilet.

Many RV toilet valves are sold every year because they blow Easy.

Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Interesting discussion.

I used pex because it is easy to work with and if it gets frozen it does not hurt it.

A note about copper, in the area I am in the water ph is a bit acid. When we built our house the local plumber said NOT to use copper. Why not it is the best we want the best we can. He says the the ph of the water will eat it out in 20 years or so and then we would need to replumb everything. we listened and did cpvc as directed. A few months after we finished our house, my Dad's house next door (where I grow up)with all copper pipeing started leaking. He has been chasing leaks bit by bit ever since, replacing little sections at a time. By the way we have been in our house 23 years now, and recently the bathroom faucet fell apart it corroded from the inside out. It was brass.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Interesting discussion.

I used pex because it is easy to work with and if it gets frozen it does not hurt it.

A note about copper, in the area I am in the water ph is a bit acid. When we built our house the local plumber said NOT to use copper. Why not it is the best we want the best we can. He says the the ph of the water will eat it out in 20 years or so and then we would need to replumb everything. we listened and did cpvc as directed. A few months after we finished our house, my Dad's house next door (where I grow up)with all copper pipeing started leaking. He has been chasing leaks bit by bit ever since, replacing little sections at a time. By the way we have been in our house 23 years now, and recently the bathroom faucet fell apart it corroded from the inside out. It was brass.
I'd bet if you looked close at your dad's house the leaks are at the soldered joints. Its Not the copper that is bad it is the "modern Almost (NO lead) solder"

I really like my CPVC although i did find one thing to keep in mins when doing repairs or modifacations to 20 year old CPVC. You need to careful what method you use to cut it. once it has been in service for a while it no longer likes the pvc cutters. You know the ones that look like a set of pruning shears. my pipes wanted to split lengthwise so i had to revert to the old hacksaw. Worked great.

I like the idea of Pex but dislike the spring loaded fittings. since my Rv sits 10 months of the year i was worried that they would not spring into action and seal up 100% when i need them for one month.

I did winterize mine a little too late in the season one time. I had to replace a 2 feet of of CPVC. The can of glue cost me more than the 4 foot section of pipe and fittings needed.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
What is the spring loaded fitting you talk about? Are you talking about shark bite type fittings? Crimp fittings are much cheaper. None of them require that you keep pressure in them.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Actually yes the copper pipes did get pinholes in them and not at the joints. After sawing out a section it was visably thinner from corrosion.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Quote:
Originally Posted by debit.servus View Post
While on hookups, I want to take advantage of the full residential water pressure coming from the tap. I also want quality plumbing to last for decades. Off hookups, I'll need to put a regulator on the consumption, so do I use a smaller diaphram pump or put a regulator fitting after the accumulator?

First off, where does residential & RV park water pressure top out at so I can build for the highest tap pressure I'll encounter + 50 PSI? 150 PSI? 190 PSI? Can copper piping withstand decades of vibrations in a traveling skoolie? What is the typical residential plumbing size? 3/4 inch, 1 inch, other? What is the best plumbing money can buy?
PEX is the best way to go, mine comes in at 3/4" Ts off at the water heater into 1/2" pex for cold water. I use PEX to connect to the parks as well, I don't even bother with a hose. Best stuff you are going to find to use, just make sure it doesn't rub on anything or it will wear a hole in itself, it's almost fool proof but if you don't have the tools there will be a little investment in some. But the line and fittings aren't that expensive.
When it freezes it can double in size and the pipe won't bust, mine has never expanded but I have had it freeze up solid and no damage.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, pressure, psi, quality, residential