Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I bought a premade 32" shower stall. To keep the claustrophobic effect to a minimum I had a wrap made of a tropical beach scene to cover the 3 walls.

Cost of the wrap? How difficult to install? Substrate?

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:40 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Cost of the wrap? How difficult to install? Substrate?
The 3 piece wrap was $90. Plywood walls with the plastic shower stall walls glued to the plywood with adhesive.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Chevrolet B-Series
Engine: 366 V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
Someone just did this on his bus in the shuttle bus forum or short bus forum on Facebook. It looks great.
Do you have a link to that? I'd like to see it.
paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #24
Skoolie

Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
Lightbulb Toilet-shower combo

I’m Interested in this thread because my draft floor plan has a toilet and shower combo room. Since my bus has a flat floor, there is lots of room underneath. I’m considering lowering the floor in this area, adding a shower pan, with drain. Thoughts, photos, advice welcome.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9L 6BT / MT643
Rated Cap: 26
Question Poured Epoxy faux marble?

Any one seen or thought about doing DIY epoxy walls using foam? It's build similar to a surf board, so it's fairly tough, & insulative so it won't be cold like real stone/ marble (thought that cold be nice in a hot climate). Here is an example/ tutorial by "Stone Coat Epoxy". I'm considering doing this for my counter tops and bathroom walls/ shower.

NovaTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaTRON View Post
Any one seen or thought about doing DIY epoxy walls using foam? It's build similar to a surf board, so it's fairly tough, & insulative so it won't be cold like real stone/ marble (thought that cold be nice in a hot climate). Here is an example/ tutorial by "Stone Coat Epoxy". I'm considering doing this for my counter tops and bathroom walls/ shower.

I did an epoxy shower pan. Number one issue with epoxy is you pour it on, and it flows. Pieces with curves are quite difficult to control-like a shower pan! This was my first pour, and it came out great but I recommend you watch a bunch of videos and do some experimentation before committing, else you may need to experiment/redo/settle more than you really want to.

The effects can be really cool.

I still have to do the walls and since they are already installed (and I don't want to add weight or any other panels) I'm looking at other methods of waterproofing.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Freightlinner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 5 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbi View Post
I’m Interested in this thread because my draft floor plan has a toilet and shower combo room. Since my bus has a flat floor, there is lots of room underneath. I’m considering lowering the floor in this area, adding a shower pan, with drain. Thoughts, photos, advice welcome.
I used the toilet/shower, (wetbath), on my build. It was 36x32 so it fit one window perfectly. The toilet has the holding tank built into it, works fine for my short bus. I can always add a larger tank under if I need more waste water storage. I used cedar wood for the walls with a shower curtain to help keep the wood dry. Trying to find a good stain to water proof the wood.
gotjuice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
I did an epoxy shower pan. Number one issue with epoxy is you pour it on, and it flows. Pieces with curves are quite difficult to control-like a shower pan! This was my first pour, and it came out great but I recommend you watch a bunch of videos and do some experimentation before committing, else you may need to experiment/redo/settle more than you really want to.

The effects can be really cool.

I still have to do the walls and since they are already installed (and I don't want to add weight or any other panels) I'm looking at other methods of waterproofing.

Is the problem with the curves because the epoxy is self leveling? I am wondering if a drain pan could be made to drain to one end by tilting the pan before pouring the epoxy and then setting the pan level on the install.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Is the problem with the curves because the epoxy is self leveling? I am wondering if a drain pan could be made to drain to one end by tilting the pan before pouring the epoxy and then setting the pan level on the install.
Yes-the issue is self leveling. My drain pan had four flat surfaces surrounded by a rim, each surface sloping towards the drain at a quarter inch to the foot or more, so I needed to come up with a pour method that prevented everything from sliding down the drain.

I poured in three layers over the course of one afternoon. The first layer was rolled level and quite thin, basically saturating the surfaces. The second was thicker, with some base color, and I tilted the pan so the biggest part was level, then pushed around the other slopes until just before curing. By that time I knew how long the working time was, and the third layer was a bit thicker but I poured it just before it started to set, and let it 'slide' towards the drain a bit.

I think I could do something similar if I found the right material to form the shower surround. If you like the look of poured epoxy you could probably pour on FRP flat, then heat form it to fit.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...ture27318.html
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Chevrolet B-Series
Engine: 366 V-8
Well, just like the countertop, after a long search for something durable, attractive, lightweight, affordable, and easy to install, I've circled back to wood. A few months ago, I conceded to buying a slab of butcher block for the counter and in keeping with that theme, I decided to use my cedar siding for the shower surround. This is rough-sawn 1x6in cedar planks that I've planed smooth and added beveling to the edges. I've sided the entire inside of the bus with this and it's turned out great so far. I will be milling the planks into shiplap for the shower for water protection. Several coats of sealer and a 360 shower curtain should keep things fresh for a long time.

I also wanted to follow up on the shower pan. After not being able to find one in the size I needed, I got several quotes to have a custom stainless steel one made. They ranged from $1,400 to $3,000; might as well have been $10,000. So I turned to materials that I had on hand and my own limited abilities. I built a 36x34" pan out of 1/8" steel and it didn't turn out half bad. Fits like a glove and exactly what I needed. It will be powder coated. Heavy? Lets just say it follows Ford's marketing scheme from the 70s of "Road-hugging weight".
paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:05 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
We were going back and forth on how to do our shower, the wife wanted tile but I was turned off by the weight and expense. Besides that, I have never done tile, nor do I feel inclined to develop that particular skill.

We finally settled on PVC wall panels that are essentially "Pergo for Walls". We're going with Palisade, a kit costs less than $500 for the panels, edging, and glue. It looks nice, installation is relatively simple for any weekend woodworker, and it's wife approved!

https://www.amazon.com/Palisade-Show...dp/B09HL6C5RD/
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
(If you spend so much time in the shower that you have to worry to death about what it looks like inside, you have other problems.)
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
(If you spend so much time in the shower that you have to worry to death about what it looks like inside, you have other problems.)
Keeping my wife happy is a problem I suffer willingly. 😉
Old 11-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy View Post
Keeping my wife happy is a problem I suffer willingly. 😉
That's fine in the home, but I put a hard stop to that at the entrance to the bus. Since I'm the one busting my butt to pay for it and build it, I make the choices, and especially the ones that are going to cost me in terms of fuel consumption and possible unnecessary maintenance headaches. Non-negotiable.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:32 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
That's fine in the home, but I put a hard stop to that at the entrance to the bus. Since I'm the one busting my butt to pay for it and build it, I make the choices, and especially the ones that are going to cost me in terms of fuel consumption and possible unnecessary maintenance headaches. Non-negotiable.
Difference between you and I are circumstances. We’re converting our bus together and the bus will be our retirement home so I’m less concerned with fuel consumption and more concerned with enjoying our living space. Otherwise, minimal maintenance and need for tearing things out and rebuilding is high on my priority list. Build strong, build right, and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy View Post
Difference between you and I are circumstances. We’re converting our bus together and the bus will be our retirement home so I’m less concerned with fuel consumption and more concerned with enjoying our living space. Otherwise, minimal maintenance and need for tearing things out and rebuilding is high on my priority list. Build strong, build right, and enjoy the ride.

make it look the way you want to and why bother to explain it to this....ZORK
He obviously has his own problems, what a nonsense troll statement he made "(If you spend so much time in the shower that you have to worry to death about what it looks like inside, you have other problems.)"
Old 11-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Too Short to Finish

Quote:
Some poor woman is yearning for more stamina. Good times are not a race to the finish.

We frequently spend time together in our activity-sized shower. Don't short yourselves of the best part of life in a partnership. Add handrails, a bench, dual heads & shower radio. Enjoy some quality time.

Also desirable for leg shaving, dog washing, and AANR camping.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: IC / Navistar
Chassis: Flatnose RE
Engine: 7.6L International
Rated Cap: 17 Tons
Happy Spouse, Happy House!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Some poor woman is yearning for more stamina. Good times are not a race to the finish.

We frequently spend time together in our activity-sized shower. Don't short yourselves of the best part of life in a partnership. Add handrails, a bench, dual heads & shower radio. Enjoy some quality time.

Also desirable for leg shaving, dog washing, and AANR camping.

Yes, yes, yes! Every day, please.

Pay attention to the aforementioned words of wisdom, Zork. Your life won't be filled with so much negative energy if you free up some of that frustration (with a partner). Invest more energy into loving the one you are with & you can find happiness, too. 'It' really is some of the best experiences we have in our short lives. Just do it. Do it frequently.
-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
Yes, yes, yes! Every day, please.

Pay attention to the aforementioned words of wisdom, Zork. Your life won't be filled with so much negative energy if you free up some of that frustration (with a partner). Invest more energy into loving the one you are with & you can find happiness, too. 'It' really is some of the best experiences we have in our short lives. Just do it. Do it frequently.
After 36 years of marriage I have the wisdom part down pat. Only in the US is male assertiveness interpreted as negative energy. This is what divorce lawyers have wrought on you poor sods.